Bullnose Forums

Salan's 1980 Something

salans7

But others find that taking the guard off on some of them is easy. So what's the difference?

Maybe some of them are wallowed out a little more at the factory, allowing them to come out freely? Or maybe the specs are different depending on the shift/day/station where the striker guards were made?

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But others find that taking the guard off on some of them is easy. So what's the difference?

There appears to be 3 different striker assemblies. There are the Bullnose ones...just the striker bolt with a captive washer, from 1980-1986, although the changeover date/time may vary. 1987 got the striker post with the wrap around steel guard, and it was also captive, just like the washer on the Bullnose. You cannot remove the striker bolt without damaging the threads. At some point after 1987, they changed the guard from being captive on the striker bolt to being threaded, and then added a thin plastic washer behind the guard. I don't know when this change took place, I just assumed it was 1992 with the body style change.

If you look at the aftermarket striker on JBG, it shows that it is a replacement for Ford part # E9AZ-5422008-A, which tells me that it probably changed in 1989 or 1990? Or else it would have had an E6 or E7 part number, correct?

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1987-1997-Ford-Bronco-and-F-Series-Truck-Metric-Door-Striker-Each/productinfo/34385A/

The junkyard I go to most often has a whole bunch of 1994-1996 F trucks, and of all of them that I checked, the striker bolt threads out of the steel guard on them. I actually took 3 of the strikers from these trucks to swap in later on (2 to use, and 1 for a spare). The only Bricknose trucks that were there were both 1987's, and they both had the strikers with the wrap around steel guards, but the striker bolts could not be removed.

It seems like too much of a coincidence to me that all of the later ones I looked at were threaded into the guards, but who knows. Anything is possible.

There appears to be 3 different striker assemblies. There are the Bullnose ones...just the striker bolt with a captive washer, from 1980-1986, although the changeover date/time may vary. 1987 got the striker post with the wrap around steel guard, and it was also captive, just like the washer on the Bullnose. You cannot remove the striker bolt without damaging the threads. At some point after 1987, they changed the guard from being captive on the striker bolt to being threaded, and then added a thin plastic washer behind the guard. I don't know when this change took place, I just assumed it was 1992 with the body style change.

If you look at the aftermarket striker on JBG, it shows that it is a replacement for Ford part # E9AZ-5422008-A, which tells me that it probably changed in 1989 or 1990? Or else it would have had an E6 or E7 part number, correct?

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1987-1997-Ford-Bronco-and-F-Series-Truck-Metric-Door-Striker-Each/productinfo/34385A/

The junkyard I go to most often has a whole bunch of 1994-1996 F trucks, and of all of them that I checked, the striker bolt threads out of the steel guard on them. I actually took 3 of the strikers from these trucks to swap in later on (2 to use, and 1 for a spare). The only Bricknose trucks that were there were both 1987's, and they both had the strikers with the wrap around steel guards, but the striker bolts could not be removed.

It seems like too much of a coincidence to me that all of the later ones I looked at were threaded into the guards, but who knows. Anything is possible.

Oh, btw...I am assuming that the Metric part of that JBG listing is an error?

Cory - I think you are right on all counts. Here's what the MPC says about striker bolts and the part number JBG lists, E9AZ 5422008-A, fits our trucks as it shows "80/89" meaning 1980 - 1989. And the E9 means it was new in 1989.

Door_Striker_Bolts.thumb.jpg.5f8dd7f88b9fae483b89be7384357ee7.jpg

But, the "A" of E9AZ indicates that the part was originally designed for the full-sized Ford cars. Which caused me to pull up the 1980/89 passenger car MPC. Turns out that striker bolt was used on LOTS of things. So they ought to plentiful!

Passenger_Car_Striker_Bolts_1.thumb.jpg.b766391a05008cac72e423c7c5fa9428.jpgPassenger_Car_Striker_Bolts_2.thumb.jpg.a43fe3055bccb22da4a726cca1cc2944.jpgPassenger_Car_Striker_Bolts_3.thumb.jpg.ca42132221d414c672bf5af28ca734ac.jpg

Cory - I think you are right on all counts. Here's what the MPC says about striker bolts and the part number JBG lists, E9AZ 5422008-A, fits our trucks as it shows "80/89" meaning 1980 - 1989. And the E9 means it was new in 1989.

Right. So the first couple years of the striker with the wrap around guard was like the Bullnose striker in that the bolt could not be removed. Then a the newer version was introduced in 1989, and it also became the replacement for all previous versions. At least that is how I understand that.

Shaun, did you ever check the 1990 strikers to see if the bolt threads out of the guard?

Shaun, did you ever check the 1990 strikers to see if the bolt threads out of the guard?

Yep, they're also captive, and they have a thin metal washer behind the guard. Build date is March, 1990.

I don't know what they changed in 1989 but the ones from the 90 look just like the ones from 86.

Yep, they're also captive, and they have a thin metal washer behind the guard. Build date is March, 1990.

I don't know what they changed in 1989 but the ones from the 90 look just like the ones from 86.

I suspect that we are dealing with the fact that Ford never threw a single part away. So if they had some of the ~86-88 strikers still available they went on the vehicles rolling down the line - whatever year that was. If I'm right on that, a 1990 could have gotten a 1986/88 striker.

I suspect that we are dealing with the fact that Ford never threw a single part away. So if they had some of the ~86-88 strikers still available they went on the vehicles rolling down the line - whatever year that was. If I'm right on that, a 1990 could have gotten a 1986/88 striker.

Yep, and that's also why some early 1982 trucks and Broncos have threaded shift knobs.

Yes, that and the fact that there were multiple plants building these trucks in at least two different countries;). What I find on the Canadian built trucks up here may not always be 100% indicative of what came out of the various plants in the USA. I know that generally they are all the same, but there will be little quirks and differences here and there for sure.

The ones I've found on the later 1994-1996 trucks have crisp 7/16" threads in them. Enough so that a regular bolt threads into them nicely.

IMG_9262.jpg.70a29c9675c0e9e769a08bf71f9f5c84.jpg

Otherwise they are identical in every respect. A lot of things can change over the years too, so it is possible that I've come across a batch of trucks that all had had their door strikers replaced? Who the heck knows.

Looks like you installed a later striker bolt? One with the guard? Can't tell, but did you do the PEX upgrade?

Don't forget, this is a 1990. The bushing is original, and in what seems to be good shape.

However, I have four total striker bolts with a guard, which means my old 86 parts cab had them too. And I'm willing to bet they were original as the paint was marked in the shape of the guard.

Could it be an early build date?

Or that the later striker was not used right away?

I know early efi 460 heads have an E7 number but we're not used until the '88 model year.