Bullnose Forum

Salan's 1980 Something

salans7

Its a shame that the new one isn't, or wasn't, done well. Mine that Jason made was just right.

And yours wasn't painted?

Yep, I would have rather paid the extra $20-$30 to not have had to beat the snot out of this one to get it to fit.

No paint just bare metal, which is fine because I had to beat on it to get it to fit anyway. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Its a shame that the new one isn't, or wasn't, done well. Mine that Jason made was just right.

And yours wasn't painted?

Yep, I would have rather paid the extra $20-$30 to not have had to beat the snot out of this one to get it to fit.

No paint just bare metal, which is fine because I had to beat on it to get it to fit anyway. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Mine was nicely powder coated. And it fit fairly well. Too bad that's no longer an option.

Received my firewall brace from JBG today. I don't know who makes these for JBG, but they do a poor job of making sure the piece is correctly inserted into the press when they make bends in steel. It became pretty apparent that this bracket wasn't going to fit unless I beat the side flange (the one with three bolts) down where they screwed up the bend, and then had to bend it back to meet the firewall. But it's on, and now it's coated in paint awaiting final install tomorrow evening. Then I can touch up/replace the seam sealer on the firewall and start final (hopefully) reassembly of the interior. :nabble_anim_jump:

You've got the key in your hands now, Shaun!

I'm sure you'll be pressing ahead like a steamroller. :nabble_smiley_good:

You've got the key in your hands now, Shaun!

I'm sure you'll be pressing ahead like a steamroller. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm close to starting engine things. 😯 💸

So the firewall plate is permanently installed. Thread plates are sealed to the firewall, and threads all have loctite. Also threw on the pedal assembly to get a feel for the pedals now that I have a seat but quickly remembered I need to fix the worn away pivot pin for the clutch master cylinder rod before I finalize that install. Any tips on that are appreciated.

Screenshot_20200522-192415_Gallery.thumb.jpg.747502c35a2926ea7ef4f6ed9d2ee51d.jpg

Screenshot_20200522-192421_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2bd1fe3852eff599dddaf43c5da7e2ee.jpg

Screenshot_20200522-192426_Gallery.thumb.jpg.352b14ddaefeba9257a1d18ad08a6855.jpg

Screenshot_20200522-202037_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c37981d06107ad4e032ba93a6c716842.jpg

So the firewall plate is permanently installed. Thread plates are sealed to the firewall, and threads all have loctite. Also threw on the pedal assembly to get a feel for the pedals now that I have a seat but quickly remembered I need to fix the worn away pivot pin for the clutch master cylinder rod before I finalize that install. Any tips on that are appreciated.

The little crank 'arm' comes right off the clutch crossover shaft.

You can change that.

It is available from Ford last I knew.

Or you can go the way I did.

Install a shouldered oilite bronze bushing

Ream the eye of the MC pushrod to size, and retain with another bronze washer and an axle cap pushnut.

This avoids the little plastic bushing that wears out and causes the problem.

I'll preface this by saying I'm really dirty and concrete dust on your boots is really abrasive, so I guess mine has it worse than most.

Dont use oil or grease for lube. It just attracts grit.

Graphite or Teflon dry lube is good.

The little crank 'arm' comes right off the clutch crossover shaft.

You can change that.

It is available from Ford last I knew.

Or you can go the way I did.

Install a shouldered oilite bronze bushing

Ream the eye of the MC pushrod to size, and retain with another bronze washer and an axle cap pushnut.

This avoids the little plastic bushing that wears out and causes the problem.

I'll preface this by saying I'm really dirty and concrete dust on your boots is really abrasive, so I guess mine has it worse than most.

Dont use oil or grease for lube. It just attracts grit.

Graphite or Teflon dry lube is good.

If I remember correctly, it's a one time press fit only, so make sure I get it put back in the right spot correct? Went back and found a listing from Bill that listed Vintage Parts Inc as having 107 back in 2017, and they wanted $25 shipped for them so I went ahead and picked one up from them. Wish U-techcenter had them, but it is what it is.

If I remember correctly, it's a one time press fit only, so make sure I get it put back in the right spot correct? Went back and found a listing from Bill that listed Vintage Parts Inc as having 107 back in 2017, and they wanted $25 shipped for them so I went ahead and picked one up from them. Wish U-techcenter had them, but it is what it is.

I haven't done it because I went a different way, but from what I remember they form their own splines when bolted on.

So, yes, I'd think you have to knock it straight off and line up the new one.

At least you have the comfort of not needing it right now and a sharp memory to keep that p/n in your head from FTE.

At least you have the comfort of not needing it right now and a sharp memory to keep that p/n in your head from FTE.

That's the nice thing about this truck, I'm not in a huge rush although I would like to get things done in a timely manner so that this doesn't end up being a ten-year project that goes nowhere like the F150 did.

Well done! Looks good. :nabble_anim_claps: