Bullnose Forums

Dash warning lights & gauge question?

FuzzFace2

Stay OUT of the zone. That's likely a BIG part of his problem.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/743838/thumbnail/coolanttempsender.jpg

It's relatively easy to re-pin the cluster connector(s) to work with the gauge cluster. Collect some extra terminals in the JY to add any missing wires.

Steve - I assume that by “re-pin” you mean pull the wires out of the 14-pin idiot gauge connector and put them in an 18-pin gauge connector, and then add the needed other wires. Right?

Steve - I assume that by “re-pin” you mean pull the wires out of the 14-pin idiot gauge connector and put them in an 18-pin gauge connector, and then add the needed other wires. Right?

Yep. I hate cutting factory wires, but I love upgrading.

It's been decades, but I don't remember doing anything to my '83's cluster connectors any of the times I changed (factory) clusters. But I don't remember what it had originally - I guess it might have had a non-tach gauge cluster, pre-wired for tach. So that might be why everything I put in it was PnP (until the PSOM).

Yep. I hate cutting factory wires, but I love upgrading.

It's been decades, but I don't remember doing anything to my '83's cluster connectors any of the times I changed (factory) clusters. But I don't remember what it had originally - I guess it might have had a non-tach gauge cluster, pre-wired for tach. So that might be why everything I put in it was PnP (until the PSOM).

As I'm sure you know, lot's of the tach-less gauge clusters had the tach-capable printed circuit. In fact, for the longest time I didn't understand what people were talking about when they were saying their circuit didn't have the traces for a tach. All of the clusters I'd found did have the traces, even if they didn't have a tach.

But, then I ran into some w/o the traces and finally understood. However, I don't know what the rhyme nor reason was for some having it and others not. :nabble_anim_confused:

As I'm sure you know, lot's of the tach-less gauge clusters had the tach-capable printed circuit. In fact, for the longest time I didn't understand what people were talking about when they were saying their circuit didn't have the traces for a tach. All of the clusters I'd found did have the traces, even if they didn't have a tach.

But, then I ran into some w/o the traces and finally understood. However, I don't know what the rhyme nor reason was for some having it and others not. :nabble_anim_confused:

That's interesting Gary. I didn't know that some of them had the printed circuit for a tach, even without the tach. My 1984 F150 did not have the printed circuit for the tach. I bought a complete 1984 Bronco manual trans cluster, and all I did was swap my KM speedo into the "new" cluster, and I was done like dinner.

It's relatively easy to re-pin the cluster connector(s) to work with the gauge cluster. Collect some extra terminals in the JY to add any missing wires.

It would be nice to stay out of AZ but if they are the only one close then ......

After seeing what Gary posted and looking at the AZ site it is real easy to get the wrong one when all the trucks have a temp gauge bit the part is listed for lights?????

If I was going the try and re-pin the plug I would look into replacing the whole wiring harness but that's me, I have been known to do some crazy things :nabble_anim_crazy:

Dave ----

It would be nice to stay out of AZ but if they are the only one close then ......

After seeing what Gary posted and looking at the AZ site it is real easy to get the wrong one when all the trucks have a temp gauge bit the part is listed for lights?????

If I was going the try and re-pin the plug I would look into replacing the whole wiring harness but that's me, I have been known to do some crazy things :nabble_anim_crazy:

Dave ----

Like changing the firewall? :nabble_smiley_wink:

That too. You don't do things the easy way. Takes one to know one?

Birds of a feather, huh? I catch flak from all my mechanic friends for taking a 600Kmi unrebuilt undersized underpowered engine out of a falling-apart truck, and putting it into a truck that I rebuilt from the ground up. I'm not telling them (or you guys) what all I'm doing to the '95 F150 POS I just got... :nabble_smiley_blush:

Birds of a feather, huh? I catch flak from all my mechanic friends for taking a 600Kmi unrebuilt undersized underpowered engine out of a falling-apart truck, and putting it into a truck that I rebuilt from the ground up. I'm not telling them (or you guys) what all I'm doing to the '95 F150 POS I just got... :nabble_smiley_blush:

Now you have our curiosity up? A '95 F150? With EFI? Hmmmmm.....