Bullnose Forums

3G Alternator Conversion Page Upgrade.

Ok, I'm bringing this thread ttt so if there needs be more conversation on the parts numbers or eccentricitys of 3G's we can stop cluttering BuggTruck's request for advice.

And yet the Buggtruck thread continues to have good info added to it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, I hope to copy and consolidate some of that info into this thread soon so we can cuss and discuss it. Then I can add to our 3G page.

And yet the Buggtruck thread continues to have good info added to it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, I hope to copy and consolidate some of that info into this thread soon so we can cuss and discuss it. Then I can add to our 3G page.

LMK what you need about Lester numbers, clocking, understanding body diameter, mounting distance, etc .

I will help if I can.

There is already an epic thread over on FSB that details many of the variants and the donors they come from.

Looking up the interchange number if you know the donor is trivial.

LMK what you need about Lester numbers, clocking, understanding body diameter, mounting distance, etc .

I will help if I can.

There is already an epic thread over on FSB that details many of the variants and the donors they come from.

Looking up the interchange number if you know the donor is trivial.

Perhaps a link to the epic FSB thread would help and I can try to get my head around it.

As for things I need help with, I for sure don't fully understand body diameter and mounting distances.

And, which engines came with what body diameters and/or mounting distances.

What I think would be helpful to the users is to flesh out the spreadsheet, a static shot of which is shown below, on the 3G page to include more sources, more Lester numbers, etc.

3G_Alternator_Sources.thumb.jpg.95a2d49e38d932b857b31e9b1304008e.jpg

Perhaps a link to the epic FSB thread would help and I can try to get my head around it.

As for things I need help with, I for sure don't fully understand body diameter and mounting distances.

What I think would be helpful to the users is to flesh out the spreadsheet, a static shot of which is shown below, on the 3G page to include more sources, more Lester numbers, etc.

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/7-1980-96-bronco-tech/55169-3g-interchange-facts-if-youre-thinking-3g-read-here.html?amp=1

There are four 3G alternators available to us:

90A (135mm) in both 7 & 8.25" c-c

130A(148mm) in both 7 & 8.25" c-c

8.25" fits V-belt 'swing' alternators and the 300-6 efi static bracket.

The 7" fits Windsor efi serpentine brackets.

For 130A:

The 7" spacing is found on the 3.0l V-6.

The 8.25" spacing is found on the 3.8l V-6

For the 90A:

(These are mostly found in trucks and econoboxes)

The 7" c-c can be found in mid-'90's Windsor pickups and E-series.

The 8.25" can be found in the 300-6 and 460 pickups, as well as the same vans.

The Aerostar was mentioned but I forget which spread it had.

I see you have the 3.0 Sable up there.

It cannot be the same # as the 3.8 since 3.0 has 7" mount.

Where did you source this?

I see you have the 3.0 Sable up there.

It cannot be the same # as the 3.8 since 3.0 has 7" mount.

Where did you source this?

I think I got that info from the interchange book that Bill/Numberdummy gave me. But it may be wrong, or I may have misunderstood what it said when I created the spreadsheet. So I'm happy to change it when we get better info.

On the body size and spacing info, is it fair to say something like:

There are two body sizes, 135 and 148mm. Those originally were rated at 90 and 130 amps respectively, but the aftermarket is selling modified versions of them at higher ratings so we will refer to them by their body diameter rather than amperage rating.

I think I got that info from the interchange book that Bill/Numberdummy gave me. But it may be wrong, or I may have misunderstood what it said when I created the spreadsheet. So I'm happy to change it when we get better info.

On the body size and spacing info, is it fair to say something like:

There are two body sizes, 135 and 148mm. Those originally were rated at 90 and 130 amps respectively, but the aftermarket is selling modified versions of them at higher ratings so we will refer to them by their body diameter rather than amperage rating.

Yes, that's good.

But I think a little explanation as to why the 135mm (90A) alternators diode board and heat sink can't keep up with the higher output of a 130A "upgrade".

Or for that matter why the two hole (large case) 3G won't put out 200A for long before melting down.

There is only so much air flow through the case and only so much room inside for a thicker heatsink.

Ryan would build a 160A 3G but nothing larger.

He understood.

Educating those who decide to upgrade helps them avoid costly mistakes.

Yes, that's good.

But I think a little explanation as to why the 135mm (90A) alternators diode board and heat sink can't keep up with the higher output of a 130A "upgrade".

Or for that matter why the two hole (large case) 3G won't put out 200A for long before melting down.

There is only so much air flow through the case and only so much room inside for a thicker heatsink.

Ryan would build a 160A 3G but nothing larger.

He understood.

Educating those who decide to upgrade helps them avoid costly mistakes.

Very good points. I will try to incorporate those thoughts into the writeup, but watch me to make sure I do them justice.

Very good points. I will try to incorporate those thoughts into the writeup, but watch me to make sure I do them justice.

That's what is on Darth, one of Ryan's 160 amp 3Gs. In the years I have had it, I had to replace the bearings after about 2 years, they were cheap Chinesium ones and a set of brushes this year (started acting strange, light would come on but voltage stayed reasonable) I drove it back from Newport News to Exmore like that and lights stayed bright and had no real issues.