Bullnose Forums

3G Alternator Conversion Page Upgrade.

I have a 130 A 3G alternator on my truck with a single V-belt and so far (fingers crossed) it is not slipping.

Right, but you're not drawing anywhere near 130A.

And the drive belt would slip if you tried. (No, more tension will only kill the bearings)

Does it ever chirp on startup?

I like the 130 because it will still charge at idle with all the lights and wipers on and the heater blasting.

Thankfully I haven't been stuck in snowstorm traffic yet this year.

I do wonder what an inductive ammeter would show on the charge cable.

Or if a permanent installation of something like that is even possible.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary,

A) I don't think the idi has a pivot mount. Iirc it is a 2 bolt side mounted alternator.

Pulley alignment (belts in plane) seems the most important criteria.

So check the offset, shoulder to belt centerlines before committing to the idi pulley.

Sourcing a crank pulley with two sheaves the same size might be a challenge too.

B) Ryan had graphs of the regular 130 putting out over 65 Amps at engine idle rpm, whatever the pulley ratio caused the alternator to spin. (so more at idle than a 2G was rated for outright, but exactly 1/2)

Good of you to make that distinction, and observation.

C) The "overclocked" alternators should have more robust diodes and heavier copper heatsinks on their rectifier board.

The smaller case of the 95A alternators just doesn't provide enough cooling. (Fan flow and/or heatsink)

I'm aware of the size and pulley width of the Mitsubishi 200+A ambulance alternator.

I doubt any 3G case size unit could do that for long, even if it was chain driven.

Jim - Interesting about the IDI's alternator mounts. I assumed they mount with the pivot.

As for graphs, I do remember those Ryan had. But take a look at those here: Electrical/Alternators.

And I agree with you - I can't imagine the "little" 3G living long at 220A. Not after seeing some of the big alternators that were designed for that kind of current. Having said that, 1/2 of 220 is a lot more than 1/2 of 130, and that would sure be nice when winching.

Whisler - Jim is right, unless your battery has run down a lot from starting or leaving an accessory on, your alternator may have not been called on for very many amps. And, yours may have a "soft-start" regulator, technically an LRC, in it which loads the alternator up slowly over several seconds, thereby reducing the belt squeal.

Jim - Interesting about the IDI's alternator mounts. I assumed they mount with the pivot.

As for graphs, I do remember those Ryan had. But take a look at those here: Electrical/Alternators.

And I agree with you - I can't imagine the "little" 3G living long at 220A. Not after seeing some of the big alternators that were designed for that kind of current. Having said that, 1/2 of 220 is a lot more than 1/2 of 130, and that would sure be nice when winching.

Whisler - Jim is right, unless your battery has run down a lot from starting or leaving an accessory on, your alternator may have not been called on for very many amps. And, yours may have a "soft-start" regulator, technically an LRC, in it which loads the alternator up slowly over several seconds, thereby reducing the belt squeal.

Jim - I forgot. Does Fluke make an inductive ammeter that works with a remote display? Brandon/Bruno2 has their DVM that works that way, but an ammeter that worked that way would be quite helpful.

Jim - I forgot. Does Fluke make an inductive ammeter that works with a remote display? Brandon/Bruno2 has their DVM that works that way, but an ammeter that worked that way would be quite helpful.

I'm not sure if they make a meter that could be hooked up so you could watch in real time.

Though I have duct taped a vacuum gauge to my cowl vent before, so I could see it while driving.

I was thinking of something more like an accessory gauge that could be left in place all the time.

From the DB website

7.3 pickups '95-'98 vans '95-'03

afd0070-1__96101.jpg.cd02b210c3328657e8a637b04f69d478.jpg

So, that's the one for the '92 E w/an IDI?

And yes, an ammeter that could be left in place would be cool. It would probably be digital and use a very small shunt.

I can't even find a listing for a '92 E350 7.3.

I had captioned the pic, but it didn't show, so I edited the post to include the info.

I don't see a listing for it either. Jonathan???

I do see a listing on eBay showing a Leece Neville fitting '88-'92 7.3's

But that is nothing like a 3G.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alternator-NEW-Ford-F250-F350-7-3L-Diesel-1988-92-w-7706J-7706JA/282856215823?hash=item41db8b550f:g:jI4AAOSwZR9ajRqQ&redirect=mobile

I think the best way to identify the 'correct' 3G is by its Lester number.

That way you can apply it to any manufacturer.