Bullnose Forums

Trans swap?

blackdog

I've always felt that the trans that is on Gary's list (Clark) has to be a misprint..Unless back in the day they did refer to the various rug 170's as clarks.

They may have come with a Clark, but this particular 4spd OD I believe must be a RUG 170 variant If anyone actually has found a Clark 4 or 5 speed in one these trucks of our vintage please speak up and share the bell housing and clutch arrangement with us. These are rare installs in our trucks I believe.

I concur with 1986f150six, after having owned two of these I would use it for sure..Good luck

I’ve always seen these referenced as Tremec transmissions... 🤷‍♂️ I don’t think they are related in any way to Clark, but I may be way wrong.

Hmm... I seem to have the strangest luck. of course the manual trans I find happens to be an oddball! I guess we can only wait for me to pull it and get some numbers off of it. Will post updates Monday after my brother and I pull it on sunday

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The flywheel for a 300 has a zero balance flywheel so it will not work for anything other than a 300. The tooth count on the flywheel has to match the bell housing of the transmission. There were car and truck C4 bellhousings with the truck having the larger bellhousing therefore a larger flywheel with more teeth on it. I believe you should verify with a transmission expert or at least someone knowledgeable about the correct tooth count and correct balance of the flywheel that will match your chosen transmission.

so would i be keeping bellhousing from aod? or should i remove bellhousing from the 4sp when i drop the trans?

• 4 weeks later...

:nabble_smiley_whistling:

update:

i finally got the trans out a couple weeks ago, and today i removed clutch housing and pressure plate/clutch disc. tomorrow i'll grab the flywheel and finish pulling the wiring harnesses out, and i'll only need to have the windshield swapped to my truck and i will be able to have this thing off to scrapyard. it pains me a bit to be scrapping one of these, but it has to happen. i have to learn to weld before i get my next one...

update:

i finally got the trans out a couple weeks ago, and today i removed clutch housing and pressure plate/clutch disc. tomorrow i'll grab the flywheel and finish pulling the wiring harnesses out, and i'll only need to have the windshield swapped to my truck and i will be able to have this thing off to scrapyard. it pains me a bit to be scrapping one of these, but it has to happen. i have to learn to weld before i get my next one...

Isn't it amazing how many parts there are to remove when parting one of these trucks out? I think I've parted my last one out. I believe I've done 3 of them.

Anyway, you are making progress. :nabble_smiley_good: