Bullnose Forums

Trans swap?

blackdog

The shifter has the encircled "D" for od.. will this still be able to bolt onto my 302 with the 50 oz 164 toothed flywheel?

If the trans is currently bolted to a 300/6, then yes it will definitely bolt up to the 302. The only issue is that you cannot use the 300/6 flywheel on the 302. If the 302 is 1983 or newer, then it should require a 50oz balanced flywheel.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shifter has the encircled "D" for od.. will this still be able to bolt onto my 302 with the 50 oz 164 toothed flywheel?
If the trans is currently bolted to a 300/6, then yes it will definitely bolt up to the 302. The only issue is that you cannot use the 300/6 flywheel on the 302. If the 302 is 1983 or newer, then it should require a 50oz balanced flywheel.
Awesome. Anyone have any experience with these Clark transmissions? Pros cons etc? 

On Feb 4, 2019 6:04 PM, "Rembrant [via Bullnose Enthusiasts]" <redacted_email_address> wrote:

This transmission is not recognized as being as HD as the T18 or T19, but has served me well. I have a little over 210K miles and it is still quiet and shifts easily [truck like; not speed shifting]. My son's 1984 F150 is similarly equipped with 245K miles. The input shaft bearing has been replaced on his and his transmission makes a little noise.

In my opinion, the transmission is just fine if not abused.

This transmission is not recognized as being as HD as the T18 or T19, but has served me well. I have a little over 210K miles and it is still quiet and shifts easily [truck like; not speed shifting]. My son's 1984 F150 is similarly equipped with 245K miles. The input shaft bearing has been replaced on his and his transmission makes a little noise.In my opinion, the transmission is just fine if not abused.
Thanks!

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 2:08 PM 1986F150Six [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address wrote:

This transmission is not recognized as being as HD as the T18 or T19, but has served me well. I have a little over 210K miles and it is still quiet and shifts easily [truck like; not speed shifting]. My son's 1984 F150 is similarly equipped with 245K miles. The input shaft bearing has been replaced on his and his transmission makes a little noise.

In my opinion, the transmission is just fine if not abused.

I've always felt that the trans that is on Gary's list (Clark) has to be a misprint..Unless back in the day they did refer to the various rug 170's as clarks.

They may have come with a Clark, but this particular 4spd OD I believe must be a RUG 170 variant If anyone actually has found a Clark 4 or 5 speed in one these trucks of our vintage please speak up and share the bell housing and clutch arrangement with us. These are rare installs in our trucks I believe.

here is a great discussion on Clark 5 speeds at another site.

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79566&sid=f2d2727777286dee16e099b18d7e83ae

I concur with 1986f150six, after having owned two of these I would use it for sure..Good luck

I've always felt that the trans that is on Gary's list (Clark) has to be a misprint..Unless back in the day they did refer to the various rug 170's as clarks.

They may have come with a Clark, but this particular 4spd OD I believe must be a RUG 170 variant If anyone actually has found a Clark 4 or 5 speed in one these trucks of our vintage please speak up and share the bell housing and clutch arrangement with us. These are rare installs in our trucks I believe.

I concur with 1986f150six, after having owned two of these I would use it for sure..Good luck

I’ve always seen these referenced as Tremec transmissions... 🤷‍♂️ I don’t think they are related in any way to Clark, but I may be way wrong.

I’ve always seen these referenced as Tremec transmissions... 🤷‍♂️ I don’t think they are related in any way to Clark, but I may be way wrong.

:nabble_anim_claps:

Tremec

trans.jpg.9ea5df10a5e96d559841e0d0d2b76c45.jpg