Bullnose Forums

Trans swap?

blackdog

I picked up an 84 longbed today and thereby ended my quest for a seat...yeesh! If I were still in Oregon I'd have found a dozen for nothing. Anyway, this truck has a standard, which should be a t18 because it's a four on the floor and not a heavy duty, right? Could I cut a hole in my floor and bolt the t18 onto my 302, which currently has the AOD? My truck will just be used for cruising, no trips longer than an hour or two each way, and will never haul anything except a ladder and some paint. Thanks in advance for any input, have a safe super bowl and enjoy the game! ... if that's what you're into

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What engine is in the donor?

The bellhousing patterns are the same.

You will need to disassemble the dash to change the pedal support, and drill the firewall for the master cylinder to pass through.

You might want to swap out the automatic style steering column while it is out for the pedals.

Auto/manual starters do NOT interchange.

Flywheel to replace flexplate.

Afaik 300, 302 & 351 all have different balance in this era.

You will need to disassemble the dash to change the pedal support, and drill the firewall for the master cylinder to pass through.

You might want to swap out the automatic style steering column while it is out for the pedals.

Looks like the donor truck has a 300/6. And good point on the flywheel interchange.

If the 302 in his 86 is the original, it will require a 50oz 164 tooth flywheel to use with the manual trans from the '84. Can't use the 300/6 flywheel for the manual swap to the 302.

Other than that, he should have everything he needs between the two trucks.

Looks like the donor truck has a 300/6. And good point on the flywheel interchange.

If the 302 in his 86 is the original, it will require a 50oz 164 tooth flywheel to use with the manual trans from the '84. Can't use the 300/6 flywheel for the manual swap to the 302.

Other than that, he should have everything he needs between the two trucks.

I kinda 'assumed' the donor to have a 300 from the second post, but I've made the mistake before. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Do you know if the 300 starter is the same as the Windsors?

I know the bell is the same, but I know nothing about ring gear diameter or number of teeth.

I kinda 'assumed' the donor to have a 300 from the second post, but I've made the mistake before. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Do you know if the 300 starter is the same as the Windsors?

I know the bell is the same, but I know nothing about ring gear diameter or number of teeth.

Yes, 300 starters are the same as the Windsors. From our new Starter Interchange page:

83-86 6/8CYL 300/302/351WM/T

85-86 6/8CYL 300/302 A/T

Once you start swapping anything flywheel related around with a 302, it can get confusing pretty quick. With a little searching, it doesn't take long to find old threads where somebody is asking why is their engine vibrating after a swap of some kind. There is the 302 balance difference which changed from 28oz to 50oz sometime in 1982, but then there's a difference between car flywheels (157 tooth) and truck flywheels (164 tooth). Add on top of that the 300 and 351 flywheels also fit but are not balanced for the 302, then there are all kinds of possibilities for mistakes.

There was an episode of Roadkill last year where they installed a 351 in a Mustang and went to fire it up and the starter didn't touch the flywheel (because it was the wrong size)...lol. It happens.

Once you start swapping anything flywheel related around with a 302, it can get confusing pretty quick. With a little searching, it doesn't take long to find old threads where somebody is asking why is their engine vibrating after a swap of some kind. There is the 302 balance difference which changed from 28oz to 50oz sometime in 1982, but then there's a difference between car flywheels (157 tooth) and truck flywheels (164 tooth). Add on top of that the 300 and 351 flywheels also fit but are not balanced for the 302, then there are all kinds of possibilities for mistakes.

There was an episode of Roadkill last year where they installed a 351 in a Mustang and went to fire it up and the starter didn't touch the flywheel (because it was the wrong size)...lol. It happens.

The flywheel for a 300 has a zero balance flywheel so it will not work for anything other than a 300. The tooth count on the flywheel has to match the bell housing of the transmission. There were car and truck C4 bellhousings with the truck having the larger bellhousing therefore a larger flywheel with more teeth on it. I believe you should verify with a transmission expert or at least someone knowledgeable about the correct tooth count and correct balance of the flywheel that will match your chosen transmission.