Bullnose Forums

1985 F350 460 vs 1989 E350 460 engine

khaitan

Externally, the differences will be fuel pump, EFI timing cover has no provision for a mechanical pump, pad is there, but is unfinished and no opening to the inside. Water pump, 85 and 89 are the same PN, accessory brackets, front of driver's side head on carbureted engine has 1 1/2" bolt hole, EFI has a 7/16" bolt hole in the same location. Timing pointer (and possibly cover) on EFI engine is curved to clear the lower mounting point on the alternator/air pump bracket.

Belts, as long as you use all of the pulleys and belts as a set (crank, water pump, power steering, A/C and alternator) you won't have any problem with stuff fitting, alternators are the same, just different positions and the back may need to be rotated. Power steering pumps, if the EFI engine has the Saginaw pump then the Ford pump will not fit the bracket, A lot of it depends on how the EFI engine was originally set up when it was installed in the F150.

Ok, for the edification of all, here are some pictures, I used my new engine on the stand, but also have some pictures of the EFI accessories and brackets on the carbureted engine.Lower front of engine

DSCN1286.thumb.jpg.bd80ac9ef38e48ae5c52da368048b7e4.jpg

Front, no brackets

DSCN1309.jpg.5c74c93901570e25029c7fbf303f39b5.jpg

Front with brackets

DSCN1318.jpg.945005eed79ff48c44e0a55289e52e2d.jpg

EFI AC bracket on carbureted head

IMGP0729_(1).thumb.jpg.c111376cc1d608343dd579230c5cd9b2.jpg

Ok, for the edification of all, here are some pictures, I used my new engine on the stand, but also have some pictures of the EFI accessories and brackets on the carbureted engine.<

Lower front of engine

Front, no brackets

Front with brackets

EFI AC bracket on carbureted head

Good photos Bill

The serpentine accessory brackets on the efi engine are very different from the carbureted V-belt ones.

One hole in the front of each head is tapped larger to accommodate.

Thermactor plumbing is far different and there is a Cat on '88& up trucks.

Because of the different valve geometry piston cutouts are different for efi engines.

Efi engines have a 'straight up' double roller timing chain from the factory.

The heads use center bolt cast valve covers and the manifold flanges (both I&e) are different.

Early efi engines have big chambers and smaller piston dish than later F3TE castings.

A popular swap is late heads on an early short block for a little more compression.

if you want a carb on an efi engine with a manual gearbox the simple solution is Price Motorsport's CA 460-efi.

This fits a square bore onto the efi lower manifold and comes with brass plugs for the injector bosses.

Good photos Bill

The serpentine accessory brackets on the efi engine are very different from the carbureted V-belt ones.

Because of the different valve geometry piston cutouts are different for efi engines.

The heads use center bolt cast valve covers and the manifold flanges (both I&e) are different.

Early efi engines have big chambers and smaller piston dish than later F3TE castings.

A popular swap is late heads on an early short block for a little more compression.

if you want a carb on an efi engine with a manual gearbox the simple solution is Price Motorsport's CA 460-efi.

This fits a square bore onto the efi lower manifold and comes with brass plugs for the injector bosses.

Bill - Thanks for making the pics bigger. 👍

Jim - That helps my learning on 460’s. Thanks. Now I understand that the valve covers in a pic that Brandon sent from a salvage in CA were probably EFI ones. Right?

06E5E9E8-BCE4-48EA-988C-5001D8CE95C5.thumb.jpeg.500816fe4b7d3b243bca288c3ea274a8.jpeg

Good photos Bill

Jim, the hole I highlighted, is not tapped larger on EFI heads, but is on carbureted heads. I highlighted that for reference as to which one was different. When I first installed the EFI mounting brackets I had to enlarge the hole in the A/C and PS side so I could use a 1/2-13 bolt there.

The brackets in the picture are an extra set I purchased off a blown up 460 so I could have them cleaned, clear coated and pre-mounted to the new engine.

Bill - Thanks for making the pics bigger. 👍

Jim - That helps my learning on 460’s. Thanks. Now I understand that the valve covers in a pic that Brandon sent from a salvage in CA were probably EFI ones. Right?

Yes Gary, those are efi valve covers.

If you want a pair I will strip them off my future short block.

You found a complete OMC 460?

The gentleman who built my engine told me the real reason the 460s weren't popular in stern drives was the torque, they could blow the upper gear box right off the drive, they had to put gear boxes for deisels on them, one for a 454 would explode with a 460.

You found a complete OMC 460?

No, just heads.

My quest continues....

I've never heard that gearboxes or outdrives can't handle the torque.

Just that things go sideways very quickly when massive power tears the engines loose from their bunks.

If they get loose *even a little* the misalignment will cause a lot of damage.

On another note everyone at the boatyard says you can never trust the French big block.

460's rule for longevity and the Olds 455 if you must have GM.