Bullnose Forums

1985 F150 Bullnose 4x4 Project

Rembrant

The torque converter nuts are probably 9/16" (or 14mm). Mark one of the studs & its flexplate hole with paint to indicate the original assembly orientation. Also mark the flexplate to the crank hub - I like to use a cold chisel for that (since it's truly permanent) and then add paint for visibility.

Thanks Steve. I got it out this morning. Once I got going it all came back to me;). I hadn't pulled an auto trans in 25 years, so my memory was fuzzy on the topic.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Steve. I got it out this morning. Once I got going it all came back to me;). I hadn't pulled an auto trans in 25 years, so my memory was fuzzy on the topic.

Hey,

Have any of you guys ever removed the crossmember under the engine? Picture below is just an example from the web.

cradle.jpg.99fbe54eb4e7cd15a27fa9a2bc55090a.jpg

Drilling the rivets out is no problem, I'm just wondering if this particular crossmember can be maneuvered out from between the rails?...

Hey,

Have any of you guys ever removed the crossmember under the engine? Picture below is just an example from the web.

Drilling the rivets out is no problem, I'm just wondering if this particular crossmember can be maneuvered out from between the rails?...

Glad you got it out. As for the crossmember, I've replaced the engine stands and replaced some bolts on the crossmember, not removed the whole unit.

Glad you got it out. As for the crossmember, I've replaced the engine stands and replaced some bolts on the crossmember, not removed the whole unit.

Man you are starting to make me look bad on not working on my truck :nabble_anim_blbl:

I got to ask why do you want to remove that cross member?

The only thing I think is different between them is the 460 ones with the notch for the oil filter no?

I did pull the 300 six frame stands off the parts truck frame before it went to it's new home up north.

Dave ----

Man you are starting to make me look bad on not working on my truck :nabble_anim_blbl:

I got to ask why do you want to remove that cross member?

The only thing I think is different between them is the 460 ones with the notch for the oil filter no?

I did pull the 300 six frame stands off the parts truck frame before it went to it's new home up north.

Dave ----

Dave - I think you are right. The 460 crossmember is different but the others are the same. I think. So I wondered the same question of why remove it.

So I wondered the same question of why remove it.

There is a small spot on the frame I'm going to need to repair. I was thinking that I'd have to remove that crossmember to fix properly, but after looking at it some more, I don't think it will be too bad. I should be able to fix it by just removing the driver's side spring/shock tower. I have another weekend worth of work to finish stripping the frame on this old thing.

On a good note, I have a sale pending on the AOD trans and associated parts (starter, flexplate, etc), and I've located a 302 manual trans bellhousing tin cover for $25 bucks.

Dave,

I had a busy weekend getting the old truck stripped, but things are going to slow way down on this thing right now. I basically have it down to the frame now. Few other odds and ends to remove...brake lines, power steering box, etc. This thing is getting quite a bit of work...both in repairs and in shortening. It may be on the road next year...maybe.

So I wondered the same question of why remove it.

There is a small spot on the frame I'm going to need to repair. I was thinking that I'd have to remove that crossmember to fix properly, but after looking at it some more, I don't think it will be too bad. I should be able to fix it by just removing the driver's side spring/shock tower. I have another weekend worth of work to finish stripping the frame on this old thing.

On a good note, I have a sale pending on the AOD trans and associated parts (starter, flexplate, etc), and I've located a 302 manual trans bellhousing tin cover for $25 bucks.

Now I understand. Hope you can repair it w/o removing the crossmember though.

There is a small spot on the frame I'm going to need to repair. ...just removing the driver's side spring/shock tower.
These captions are relevant to those jobs:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/260055/thumbnail/rivetreplacement.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/895898/thumbnail/frameb8081.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/467402/thumbnail/tsb970310fig5.jpg