Bullnose Forums

1985 F150 Bullnose 4x4 Project

Rembrant

I'm trying to see it through the exhausts, mirrors, running boards, air horns, visor, etc. And somewhere down there I think there's a nice truck. :nabble_anim_confused:

Haha it was me that took that picture, and I've seen that truck again since. It is a wild ride for sure.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to see it through the exhausts, mirrors, running boards, air horns, visor, etc. And somewhere down there I think there's a nice truck. :nabble_anim_confused:

My thoughts exactly Gary... it’s pretty well crusted in chrome garbage like barnacles on a good ship. It does at least provide a gist of the proportions.

The only other one I’ve seen is a fire truck with the bed extended with pump gear. There were no long bed flareside Bullnose, but there were long bed flareside in the late 70’s with the flat type bed rails. With 80-86 flares and tailgate it would look just right... except for the step or the second set of bolt heads inside from the earlier fenders.

35EC5441-EF2A-420E-A650-DD7A9B6795BC.jpeg.d91649f32cd66d8635c8f07e4d8fc575.jpeg

5B4E7BEE-4772-4187-9272-29E0CA33E4B8.jpeg.86d84047536c501d2943429fd1305ab5.jpeg

BA774C80-AEE5-4088-A80C-79BE7A386FBD.jpeg.318ae7f63780da06f512f43cd545498b.jpeg

...I need to order a code reader as well.
I don't recommend it - they're NOT as reliable as a paperclip, and a lot more expensive.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/862996/thumbnail/dlcjumper.jpg

The only other one I’ve seen is a fire truck...
I can see it has an 8-lug rear, but I can't see the fender badge, and it looks like the front is 5-lug. So did it start off as an F150?

I don't recommend it - they're NOT as reliable as a paperclip, and a lot more expensive.

I did actually order one, and it turns out that it is an absolute waste of money because I'm gutting all of the EFI stuff anyway. I'm pulling the body off the frame starting this weekend. Going to try and get the motor, trans, t-case out of it as well.

I have a couple questions though Steve that you might be able to help with:

This thing is an 85 5.0L (EFI). Were the 5.0 blocks in '85 roller cam capable? My 1984 5.0L was definitely not. I know the Mustangs went roller in 1985 (I think), but the trucks still stayed with flat tappet cams into the 1990's, but with roller capable blocks. I just don't know what/when the changeover was. In any case, no big deal, I'll know as soon as I pop the intake off it.

This thing is an auto (AOD). Would the existing starter work on a manual trans? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the auto and manual trans trucks had different starters. Is this the case or am I nuts?

I did actually order one, and it turns out that it is an absolute waste of money because I'm gutting all of the EFI stuff anyway. I'm pulling the body off the frame starting this weekend. Going to try and get the motor, trans, t-case out of it as well.

I have a couple questions though Steve that you might be able to help with:

This thing is an 85 5.0L (EFI). Were the 5.0 blocks in '85 roller cam capable? My 1984 5.0L was definitely not. I know the Mustangs went roller in 1985 (I think), but the trucks still stayed with flat tappet cams into the 1990's, but with roller capable blocks. I just don't know what/when the changeover was. In any case, no big deal, I'll know as soon as I pop the intake off it.

This thing is an auto (AOD). Would the existing starter work on a manual trans? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the auto and manual trans trucks had different starters. Is this the case or am I nuts?

Name's not Steve, but I can answer the starter question: No. Auto transmissions took a different starter than manual trannies for several of the engines, including the "small blocks".

You can see that in Engines/Starters and in Interchange/Starter Interchange.

Name's not Steve, but I can answer the starter question: No. Auto transmissions took a different starter than manual trannies for several of the engines, including the "small blocks".

Thanks Gary, that's all I needed to know. I'm scrounging and scraping for parts that I'm going to need. I have a sale pending for the 8ft bed on this truck, and the guy is seeing what parts he might have to trade (which I'm OK with).

Were the 5.0 blocks in '85 roller cam capable?
I'm not an authority on that, but I would doubt it.
This thing is an auto (AOD). Would the existing starter work on a manual trans?
No.

Ok, I must go do some reading on the topic. I know the Mustang 5.0 GT engines got roller cams in 1985, and I thought at the same time the trucks got the roller cam capable block, but still used the flat tappet cam until into the early 1990's. It's not a big deal, I'm just curious. I'll have the intake off it in a week or so and will know for sure.

Understood on the auto to manual starter differences. While on the topic of starters, I'm planning a run to the junkyard to scavenge some parts from a 1996 F150 w/300 L6 and M5OD manual trans. I assume the starter from that truck will work on the 1985 302? I can't remember, was there still a fender mounted starter solenoid in 1996?

Were the 5.0 blocks in '85 roller cam capable?
I'm not an authority on that, but I would doubt it.
This thing is an auto (AOD). Would the existing starter work on a manual trans?
No.

Ok, I must go do some reading on the topic. I know the Mustang 5.0 GT engines got roller cams in 1985, and I thought at the same time the trucks got the roller cam capable block, but still used the flat tappet cam until into the early 1990's. It's not a big deal, I'm just curious. I'll have the intake off it in a week or so and will know for sure.

Understood on the auto to manual starter differences. While on the topic of starters, I'm planning a run to the junkyard to scavenge some parts from a 1996 F150 w/300 L6 and M5OD manual trans. I assume the starter from that truck will work on the 1985 302? I can't remember, was there still a fender mounted starter solenoid in 1996?

My 1992 Bronco has a PMGR starter on it.

...a 1996 F150 w/300 L6 and M5OD manual trans. I assume the starter from that truck will work on the 1985 302?
AFAIK, any smallblock manual-trans starter will bolt up to any smallblock, and work with any stickshift.
I can't remember, was there still a fender mounted starter solenoid in 1996?
There was never a fender-mounted solenoid. :nabble_smiley_wink: The thing on the fender is a RELAY. The "solenoid" is integral to the starter - it's the smaller cylinder beside the starter motor.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/285644/thumbnail/starterexploded.jpg

This shows how easy it is to convert the wiring between solenoid starters & non-solenoids (swinging pole shoe):

https://supermotors.net/getfile/870249/thumbnail/startersolswap.jpg