Bullnose Forums

1985 F150 Bullnose 4x4 Project

Rembrant

Ya, I figured. It doesn't look like a truck part, but figured I should ask anyway. In the scrap bin it goes.

Parts truck for 4x4 parts????

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/morristown-ford-f150/6860515337.html

Cory, I haven't read through the entire thread, so maybe you don't need any more parts. Just thought the year, and wheel base would match what you are trying to build.

Later.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cory, I haven't read through the entire thread, so maybe you don't need any more parts. Just thought the year, and wheel base would match what you are trying to build.

Later.

No sir, I'm all good right now for parts...I think! I have a whole second truck now, it's just that in it's current state it looks like piles of rusty parts...lol. Building the truck is going to be a slow process...

• 2 weeks later...

Later.

No sir, I'm all good right now for parts...I think! I have a whole second truck now, it's just that in it's current state it looks like piles of rusty parts...lol. Building the truck is going to be a slow process...

A slight change in direction with the '85 project truck...

The 302 is gone, and it has been replaced with this:

IMG_7391.jpg.0f010e2994f258c37f64f9b6530e43e6.jpg

This is an old 240 that has been for sale down the road from me for quite a long time. I had been ignoring it mostly, but Jonathan pointed out that it can be easily converted to a 300, so that is the current plan. Stay tuned for more updates on this soon...

This is an old 240 that has been for sale down the road from me for quite a long time. I had been ignoring it mostly, but Jonathan pointed out that it can be easily converted to a 300, so that is the current plan. Stay tuned for more updates on this soon...

And, with the 240 head, the converted 300 will have ~.5 pt. higher compression ratio!

Notice that on a 240 engine, the harmonic balancer has 2 grooves while the 300 normally has 3.

Nice. There is that one I posted on here awhile back. Still on craigslist too....hmmm.... higher compression....hmmmm.....how about you turbo the smaller displacement engine? Would make higher revs, better power numbers, more fun to drive.....maybe

Notice that on a 240 engine, the harmonic balancer has 2 grooves while the 300 normally has 3.

I see the dipstick is in a different location as well. Is the 300 in the pan?

I made a deal with a guy that is pulling a "shot" 300 out of a Bullnose. I'm hoping to use the crank and rods from that engine as well as the intake, exhaust, etc, etc. Both are very cheap so I'll have a running 300 for much less than rebuilding the trashy 302 that was in this truck:).

Both are very cheap so I'll have a running 300 for much less than rebuilding the trashy 302 that was in this truck:).

Torque monster! There is a reason the 300 was offered by Ford in the F600s and the 302 was never offered in anything larger than the F250.

Is the 300 in the pan?
My truck's original 300ci & the '95 4.9L are here:

So is the difference between the 240 and 300, or are the two different locations just a generational thing? You can see on my picture above the dipstick is up close to the fuel pump. Was the 300 like that at one time as well?

I assume it makes no difference otherwise and has no effect on anything else?

Is the 300 in the pan?
My truck's original 300ci & the '95 4.9L are here:

So is the difference between the 240 and 300, or are the two different locations just a generational thing? You can see on my picture above the dipstick is up close to the fuel pump. Was the 300 like that at one time as well?

I assume it makes no difference otherwise and has no effect on anything else?

The engine in my F 150 does not have the provision for the rear mount dipstick so it has the dipstick in the oil pan. I also have a spare engine that does have a rear block mounted dipstick like Steve's. That is the only difference that I have seen. Any 240 can be made a 300 by changing the crank rods and pistons and vice versa. There were some differences in the heads when EFI was put on the 300 as well as an early 240 head with a smaller combustion chamber that is desirable but getting rare to find.