Bullnose Forums

1985 F150 Bullnose 4x4 Project

Rembrant

That looks COLD! I worked outside at about 40F the other day with almost 100% humidity and it gave me a chill that was hard to shake. The older I get the less I like cold. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Anyway, glad you got some parts. I'll stay warm and follow along from my arm chair. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I hear you! Yesterday I got up at 3am to hit the garage and it was 40* out side and felt cold so never made it out.

Up at 6am today and it was 28* out side and just knew the garage was cold. Had to put something in my garage about 11am and it was 40*in there ........ yep to cold.

Both days I stayed in the house with the fire place going nice and warm besides the truck will still be there when I am ready :nabble_smiley_what:

Dave ----

Dave - These guys seem to be making progress, but we are warm. Right?

Yes we are.

I should have gotten out there today, cold and raining (got to walk across drive to get to my garage) or not as I did not have work.

I don't have work again tomorrow and I plan on getting out and get something done.

I also should go thru all the bins I have parts stored in to re-fresh me what I have and to put the parts I still need to use in 1 place.

Dave ----

Yes we are.

I should have gotten out there today, cold and raining (got to walk across drive to get to my garage) or not as I did not have work.

I don't have work again tomorrow and I plan on getting out and get something done.

I also should go thru all the bins I have parts stored in to re-fresh me what I have and to put the parts I still need to use in 1 place.

Dave ----

Maybe you can answer my question on the Lower Spring Retainer?

Well, one of the guys on FTE pointed out something that I clearly didn't notice at a glance. (I love having access to the people with all of the information!!).

Anyway, while my crusty old 5.0 has an eccentric for a mechanical fuel pump, it is only the inner piece of the two piece set-up.

This is the 1985 5.0 EFI...

IMG_6763.jpg.acefb5a42698a363a41653a65b8a3f55.jpg

And here is my 1984 5.0 (factory carbed) with 2pc eccentric...

302timingchain.jpg.f8f2f9b34d1b4db014cda1e3bdc67b8a.jpg

So, how difficult is it to find that outer piece?...

Any comments from the BTDT crowd?

Well, one of the guys on FTE pointed out something that I clearly didn't notice at a glance. (I love having access to the people with all of the information!!).

Anyway, while my crusty old 5.0 has an eccentric for a mechanical fuel pump, it is only the inner piece of the two piece set-up.

Oh...

Nevermind...a quick Google search brought me a $25 dollar solution...lol.

https://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/235/10002/-1

Or get one from a salvage. Anyway, glad you found that before you built the engine and the fuel pump didn't work.

I think it would still work, that outer part just free wheels / spins on the inner IIRC right?

How thick is it where you think it would not work with it in place?

As far as I know this is the only setup to use something like this all the rest the pump arm rides on the a part like the inner or a cam shaft lobe.

Dave ----

I think it would still work, that outer part just free wheels / spins on the inner IIRC right?

How thick is it where you think it would not work with it in place?

As far as I know this is the only setup to use something like this all the rest the pump arm rides on the a part like the inner or a cam shaft lobe.

Dave ----

Pump arms made to ride on the spinning part are wider & contoured to fit the shape better, so they apply less pressure. These are smaller because they rest on the freewheeling part - they'd cut through the spinning surface quickly because there wouldn't be enough oil film.

I picked up a set of cheap shorty headers for this project while on the road ($100 CDN, or about $75 USD). I was scrolling through the listings of small block Ford parts last week and came across this set of headers listed only as "Mustang Headers", with the description noting that they fit a variety of 302 applications. That may very well be the case, but from the pictures, I was pretty sure that they were 5.0 truck headers, and it turns out that they are. JBA model #1627. I don't know if you'd consider them NOS, but they've never been installed. They have some nicks and marks on them from probably banging around on a shelf somewhere (for probably 20 years), but I'm sure they'll clean up OK with some scrubbing and polishing.

_59.jpg.c79b456f7bbdf0d3a0b81b0cfd38f602.jpg

I wasn't necessarily looking for headers for this engine this early in the game, but the factory manifolds went straight into the scrap bin (they were junk), so I was going to need manifolds of some kind or another for this thing.

Now, if I could just find a cheap 4bbl intake manifold, I'd be all set.