Bullnose Forums

1985 F150 Bullnose 4x4 Project

Rembrant

You are absolutely right - it is UGLY! However, there are LOTS of good parts on there.

And if you can get it running then it'll be worth far more that if not. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Yes sir, you're right. I dunno...around here a non-running 302 with unknown history is only worth it's weight in scrap metal. At least if it is running I can check/verify compression and oil pressure, and it's value will increase...at least a little bit...lol.

Is that the 1985 pressure sensitive trim I've read you guys talking about Gary?...lol.

Anyway...all I was really after was the 4x4 running gear. We'll see what happens if we can get the old pig to run.

Yes, that's the pressure-sensitive trim.

Yes, that's the pressure-sensitive trim.

From the Project Definition Department:

I got to spend a (very) little bit of time on this old pig this weekend, and removed about 40 feet of wiring and crap that was just in the way of everything. Removed some of the junk and debris from in the cab and under the hood, etc. Going to start disassembly next week if all goes well. I have a sale pending on the 8 ft box and rear-step bumper. The cab is junk and will be scrapped.

I will be keeping the front clip, frame and running gear, etc. The frame is actually quite good in this truck...better condition than my old Blue Mule. There's just one small spot in need of repair.

Current plan is to remove 16" of wheelbase, and turn it into a Flareside (I still have a second Flareside bed...in need of rehab, but it's mostly all there).

Only thing I am going to need really....and it's a big one, is a replacement cab.

IMG_6566.jpg.5f69afc8fbcbc6665d9c25fe07b261dd.jpg

From the Project Definition Department:

I got to spend a (very) little bit of time on this old pig this weekend, and removed about 40 feet of wiring and crap that was just in the way of everything. Removed some of the junk and debris from in the cab and under the hood, etc. Going to start disassembly next week if all goes well. I have a sale pending on the 8 ft box and rear-step bumper. The cab is junk and will be scrapped.

I will be keeping the front clip, frame and running gear, etc. The frame is actually quite good in this truck...better condition than my old Blue Mule. There's just one small spot in need of repair.

Current plan is to remove 16" of wheelbase, and turn it into a Flareside (I still have a second Flareside bed...in need of rehab, but it's mostly all there).

Only thing I am going to need really....and it's a big one, is a replacement cab.

Sounds like a plan, Stan. But, will you use the 4wd components on your current Flareside? Or make this one into a 4wd Flareside?

Sounds like a plan, Stan. But, will you use the 4wd components on your current Flareside? Or make this one into a 4wd Flareside?

Floors & rockers are not that hard to replace :nabble_smiley_evil:

Now on the cutting of the frame.

You know the older Fords had a long bed flare side. You can tell them because they have 3 stake pockets on each side. 1 front & rear corners and 1 in the center.

If you have a bed and a half, 2 front cross members for the running board mounts and 4 running boards I think this could be done pretty easily.

Then again I have been told I'm "just not right" LOL

Dave ----

You know the older Fords had a long bed flare side. You can tell them because they have 3 stake pockets on each side. 1 front & rear corners and 1 in the center.

If you have a bed and a half, 2 front cross members for the running board mounts and 4 running boards I think this could be done pretty easily.

Dave ----

Thinking "outside of the box" is a good thing! :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

I like that idea! I think it was Studebaker or International that had a 10 foot step side in the forties. I am mostly sure it was Studebaker.

Dave ----

That's a cool idea! The late 40's/early 50's Chevy trucks had a similar difference in bed length and the # of stake pockets.

Dave ----

0C56EAC3-DFBA-4616-B549-515A4FC67009.jpeg.bb05e333cc8417d6a248a4df006f8b40.jpeg

Here is a long bed flareside Bullnose someone made... Cory/BlueCollar4xFord wants to do this with his 6.9 IDI.

Here is a long bed flareside Bullnose someone made... Cory/BlueCollar4xFord wants to do this with his 6.9 IDI.

Long bed flare sides were made into the 70s at least. I guess maybe not into the Bullnoses. They are rare. As for your engine, when you turn the key you should hear the pump come on for a second or two,if you hear nothing, start there.