Bullnose Forums

It’s all about an old school tranny

Johns3524

...a 300 when at odd grade angles, the engine may shift drastically.
Only if the engine/trans mounts are broken. Otherwise, no engine should shift around the frame/engine bay.

But with mechanical clutch linkage, that force is ALWAYS transmitted across the body mounts. So any looseness in them (especially the one in the driver's footwell) results in a sloppy clutch pedal. With hydraulic, that can't happen, regardless of the mounts (body OR engine/trans). And the hydraulic fluid doesn't wear out like the mechanical linkage. :nabble_smiley_wink: It's also a self-adjusting system, so you don't have to crawl under & wrench on it as the clutch & flywheel wear.

Just food for thought... :nabble_smiley_good:

I don't consider vandalism to be likely enough to influence how I build my vehicle, especially considering how I've built my vehicle... It practically screams "If you think anything in this truck is worth your life, then I agree."

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1030715/thumbnail/9328paint10.jpg

great input Steve..nice looking rig

Im still gathering info re: what can be easily bolted up to this bell for a possible future swap. I just wanted to make the request for info on this forum of what may have been available but not often seen in our trucks. I have some experience with a Clark 5sp in the day, and also have read about an NP540,542 option that are rare but usable.

https://www.fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66574

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/np435-clark-5-speed-od.872816/

Of course you could go the NV series as well if you had the money.

I know a popular OD option from Ford at that time was the AOD but an automatic is not my preference.

I ran a Borg-Warner solenoid OD in my late 40's-mid 50's Ford cars and did quite well with it..and some aftermarket people have eperimented with them in Jeeps I read.

Well, thanks for this input so far and wish ya'll well tdoay with your projects..

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hydraulics are not what I want.

Man do I hear you I don't like them either.

as Steve showed mine was worst. A little welding and work with hand files got them back like new.

As for the trany swap other then the hydraulics I would look into the newer 5 speeds.

It shifts smoother, the gear spacing is good and it is easy on the clutch.

Have you looked at the first gear ratios between the 2 tranys? You may find the first gear ratio too high for pulling anything and even just driving with out needing to slip the clutch.

Have you looked into what it will run $$ wise for this swap? I would think any used trany you find will need to be rebuilt so add that into the final $$.

If you like the trany you have now but just want over drive have you looked in the Range Splitter from Advance Adaptors? It is the only OD unit I know of that works with a 4x4.

Gear Vender does not work with 4x4 as it is bolted on the back of the transfer case so only works in 4x2.

Dave ----

hydraulics are not what I want.

Man do I hear you I don't like them either.

as Steve showed mine was worst. A little welding and work with hand files got them back like new.

As for the trany swap other then the hydraulics I would look into the newer 5 speeds.

It shifts smoother, the gear spacing is good and it is easy on the clutch.

Have you looked at the first gear ratios between the 2 tranys? You may find the first gear ratio too high for pulling anything and even just driving with out needing to slip the clutch.

Have you looked into what it will run $$ wise for this swap? I would think any used trany you find will need to be rebuilt so add that into the final $$.

If you like the trany you have now but just want over drive have you looked in the Range Splitter from Advance Adaptors? It is the only OD unit I know of that works with a 4x4.

Gear Vender does not work with 4x4 as it is bolted on the back of the transfer case so only works in 4x2.

Dave ----

"Man do I hear you I don't like them either.

as Steve showed mine was worst. A little welding and work with hand files got them back like new. "

I actually have complete sets of spares thanks to Gary and some NOS I've found along the way. Im good for spare parts for quite a while.

Good input..

"Man do I hear you I don't like them either.

as Steve showed mine was worst. A little welding and work with hand files got them back like new. "

I actually have complete sets of spares thanks to Gary and some NOS I've found along the way. Im good for spare parts for quite a while.

Good input..

You have my rebuilt stuff, with bronze bushings. Right?

You have my rebuilt stuff, with bronze bushings. Right?

"You have my rebuilt stuff, with bronze bushings. Right? "

Yes I do Gary...I got it all out the other day and reorganized stuff. I havent used any of it yet, but nice work on those bushings!

IICR a freind of your needed my hydraulic stuff and I sent it to you. My original NOS stuff I used on my install is doing fine. Doing the backwards install saved me from having to re-inforce my firewall. The firewall wasn't real bad but I bypassed that bracing thing.

I also have have pic that may have come from one of your guest vehicles that had an unusual trans/xfer install if I remember right...2707628_orig.jpg.8d50e8d9daeb636df904ed69f857bf9b.jpg

notice the xfer "stirr-er" is on the right

well from the F150 hub i had found this info which seems to define it pretty well

the SMOD version cast iron..

SMOD.thumb.jpg.7d1400925bdb1b6868b04f108c6868d1.jpg

the TOD version

tOD.jpg.b38cd9531c6254a3024050b37619fbff.jpg

At this point I guess the search is on for a TOD version in as good shape as possible. I should note that the xfer case shift parts may be different and should procure those as well in case. Any application notes that come to mind would be good to note.

This info may not interest anyone here on this site but me perhaps but it would seem to be relevant historical info for the documentation of how these trucks came to be..

I know that when many here have "updated" their rigs to more "modern" transmissions but for those of us who may not be interested in finding a sbf ZF, or an M50D2 it may be a relevant option..particularly since many of these transmissions may be still in the bone yards here and there and may be usable even if for light duty.

Happy hunting for what you're looking for all...thanks for your efforts Gary, if this topic is too borring here it's ok. I still log in once in a while for the entertainment...

Oh if anyone has any of these older trash transmissions around, I'll be glad to pay for shipping...

well from the F150 hub i had found this info which seems to define it pretty well

the SMOD version cast iron..

the TOD version

At this point I guess the search is on for a TOD version in as good shape as possible. I should note that the xfer case shift parts may be different and should procure those as well in case. Any application notes that come to mind would be good to note.

This info may not interest anyone here on this site but me perhaps but it would seem to be relevant historical info for the documentation of how these trucks came to be..

I know that when many here have "updated" their rigs to more "modern" transmissions but for those of us who may not be interested in finding a sbf ZF, or an M50D2 it may be a relevant option..particularly since many of these transmissions may be still in the bone yards here and there and may be usable even if for light duty.

Happy hunting for what you're looking for all...thanks for your efforts Gary, if this topic is too borring here it's ok. I still log in once in a while for the entertainment...

Oh if anyone has any of these older trash transmissions around, I'll be glad to pay for shipping...

Evidently it is printed that Ford made the SMOD cast iron version in both 2&4 w/d. If anyone runs into this fact in a 78-84 Ford truck, it would be interesting to see this transmission.

Thanks all for your patience on this topic...

D19B759A-DF81-4CCA-AD59-64741C0CA8D8.jpeg.7534f55c004f11d5667e3960d14cd898.jpeg

I have one in my Frankentruck project. 86 4X4.

I hear that these transmissions are supposedly weak, but it has lived through a fair degree of abuse. I like it for the less trucklike feel of the shifter. I have an M5OD for a replacement should mine give up, but I don't think such failure is imminent.

Clutch linkage is hydraulic and mine has an external cylinder on the bellhousing, unlike the M5OD with the integrated bellhousing and slave cylinder. I understand pretty much everything after '84 got a hydraulic clutch. My '86 had a poorly cobbled together mechanical linkage that was definitely not stock and very troublesome. I'll take the hydraulic linkage anytime. FWIW, the bellhousing supports both the 4 speed OD and the NP 435.

Not really too concerned about the gear range spread, but I will say that I got fantastic fuel mileage with a 5.0 in the truck before the rebuild.

I have one in my Frankentruck project. 86 4X4.

I hear that these transmissions are supposedly weak, but it has lived through a fair degree of abuse. I like it for the less trucklike feel of the shifter. I have an M5OD for a replacement should mine give up, but I don't think such failure is imminent.

Clutch linkage is hydraulic and mine has an external cylinder on the bellhousing, unlike the M5OD with the integrated bellhousing and slave cylinder. I understand pretty much everything after '84 got a hydraulic clutch. My '86 had a poorly cobbled together mechanical linkage that was definitely not stock and very troublesome. I'll take the hydraulic linkage anytime. FWIW, the bellhousing supports both the 4 speed OD and the NP 435.

Not really too concerned about the gear range spread, but I will say that I got fantastic fuel mileage with a 5.0 in the truck before the rebuild.

Great response about your 86. It’s neat to here about your liking the feel of the shifter.

If you find another, I’m on the hunt....

Good to hear of your positive experience.

JS

Great response about your 86. It’s neat to here about your liking the feel of the shifter.

If you find another, I’m on the hunt....

Good to hear of your positive experience.

JS

Thanks for the comments on this topic all. I realize Ford's early design of the clutch hasn't been one that many have chosen to praise for mainly wear reasons, and of course the wish for a juice clutch system.

Thanks Gary for your donation of the bushing repair you did on the clutch parts set you sent me. If for any reason you would like to have it back I'd be glad to send it...great work.

Since I plan to keep this system operative as long as I keep this truck and especially if I use a toploader version of trans, I will in time this year modify my clutch parts to utilize a heim bushing system most likely. Nowdays you can buy just about any type of joint parts. I actually had to build a heim tie-rod for my boat when I swapped motors...very cheap....

Anyway, I'm on ther search for a toploader OD trans (preferably cast iron), and the necessary 4WD shift linkage to utilize it.

If any members here feel the need to get rid of any of that old outdated stuff, I'm on the left coast and I can afford shipping....thanks all.

Enjoy what you enjoy..stay bandaid free if at all possible.