351W Starter Issues

Bruno2

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I see now where Frank says it's just spinning.

1986 so it definitely isn't a 351M, Gary.

You'd think starter issues would be pretty simple.

I know from experience how frustrating it can be grasping at straws.

No, it isn't an M, but that doesn't mean someone didn't sell him a starter for an M. However, it isn't likely it happened three time, I'll admit.

Latest text from Brandon shows he's busy at work and can't go get that truck right now.

No, it isn't an M, but that doesn't mean someone didn't sell him a starter for an M. However, it isn't likely it happened three time, I'll admit.

Latest text from Brandon shows he's busy at work and can't go get that truck right now.

Do we know if the truck is automatic or manual?

And the starters purchased are correct for the application?

Aren't Windsor's the same as Lima's in that there are different throwouts?

If the truck is as good as it looks I hope Brandon can find the time to pick it up for his son in law.

Do we know if the truck is automatic or manual?

And the starters purchased are correct for the application?

Aren't Windsor's the same as Lima's in that there are different throwouts?

If the truck is as good as it looks I hope Brandon can find the time to pick it up for his son in law.

I don't know what the tranny is, but you are right - there are different starters for auto vs manuals on the Windsors.

He was pretty interested in it last night. Unfortunately he has a job that must be done before it starts raining tonight, so can't do anything about the truck right now. Perhaps he can over the weekend.

(He'd probably get that job done faster if he'd quit trying to educate people on Ford's engine nomenclature.

There are lost causes, and then there's that one. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

There are two starters - one for an auto and one for a manual. And, there's a different starter for a 351M.

Mustang ain't far. Nothing like Florida - almost exactly two years ago now. Can that Dodge pull that much? :nabble_smiley_evil:

M starter is the same as 429/460.

... at least the bell is.

I'm wondering how this all began.

Did the old starter crap out, and every new one doesn't work?

Did the old one start slipping and now the replacements do too?

It's always a challenge to diagnose something over the internet.

M starter is the same as 429/460.

... at least the bell is.

I'm wondering how this all began.

Did the old starter crap out, and every new one doesn't work?

Did the old one start slipping and now the replacements do too?

It's always a challenge to diagnose something over the internet.

The M's used different starters than the 385 series (Engines/Starters), and I think that's because the flywheel is ~3/8" further aft on a 385 than it is on an M. But, the more that I think about it I doubt they've been giving him an M's starter. Not three times.

He insists that the flywheel is good, but who knows?

Yes, it is hard to diagnose sight-unseen. But, this one may not be unseen for too long. :nabble_smiley_wink:

The M's used different starters than the 385 series (Engines/Starters), and I think that's because the flywheel is ~3/8" further aft on a 385 than it is on an M. But, the more that I think about it I doubt they've been giving him an M's starter. Not three times.

He insists that the flywheel is good, but who knows?

Yes, it is hard to diagnose sight-unseen. But, this one may not be unseen for too long. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thank you for reminding me about that great spacer drawing you shared. :nabble_anim_handshake:

That had slipped my mind, as well as the issues fitting a manual gearbox behind the 335 series engines.

Thank you for reminding me about that great spacer drawing you shared. :nabble_anim_handshake:

That had slipped my mind, as well as the issues fitting a manual gearbox behind the 335 series engines.

Well, that wasn't my intent, but it did cross my mind. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But, for those that might be wondering what we are talking about, see the page here: Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/ZF5 and the tab on ZF5 Behind A 351M Or 400. It came about when I was installing a ZF5 behind Dad's 351M, which was written up, exhaustively, on FTE.

Well, that wasn't my intent, but it did cross my mind. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But, for those that might be wondering what we are talking about, see the page here: Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/ZF5 and the tab on ZF5 Behind A 351M Or 400. It came about when I was installing a ZF5 behind Dad's 351M, which was written up, exhaustively, on FTE.

Son un Law was interested, but my Daughter doesn't like yhe idea of no back doors. So, it's a wash on that one.

After communicating more it sounds as though the threads are stripped out of the bellhousing. The starter needs to be tightened back down every few days. The C6 bell being aluminum is a perfect application for the helicoil. However, it's no longer a concern because of lack of interest.

However, my sister called wanting to know how much her friends 81 F250 that runs and drives is worth? The Lord knows I dont need another truck ,but...

Son un Law was interested, but my Daughter doesn't like yhe idea of no back doors. So, it's a wash on that one.

After communicating more it sounds as though the threads are stripped out of the bellhousing. The starter needs to be tightened back down every few days. The C6 bell being aluminum is a perfect application for the helicoil. However, it's no longer a concern because of lack of interest.

However, my sister called wanting to know how much her friends 81 F250 that runs and drives is worth? The Lord knows I dont need another truck ,but...

81 F250 - with a 400? :nabble_smiley_grin:

But, why didn't you tell about all of today's starter issues that Kris had?