Bullnose Forums

Ball Joint Replacement, and?

Hello all.

If the rain persists, I'm going to tackle upper and lower ball joints this weekend. While I'm in there, I'll also change the u-joints and check the wheel bearings.

Is there anything else I should consider replacing & make a close inspection of while I've got it apart?

Cory- If I recall correctly, you did a total front end renewal a bit over a year ago- any wisdom to impart?

It's been a while since I pulled a manual hub locker-any pointers would be appreciated. 'much obliged!

If I remember right Cory's is a 4x2 truck not a 4x4 that I think you have being you said U joints & hubs.

The only thing I can think of would be the replace the rubber pivot points as they are most likely as old as the truck.

Check or replace the radius arm bushings or if you have leaf springs the rubber spring mounts at each end.

Don't over look the tie rods, if they are bad they will add to play / slop in the steering.

Dave ----

Cory- If I recall correctly, you did a total front end renewal a bit over a year ago- any wisdom to impart?

No wisdom really...but as Dave mentioned below, my 1984 is a 2wd. (Although I've been thinking about converting it to 4x4....save that conversation for another day...lol).

I did all four ball joints, wheel bearings and seals, inner and outer tie rods and adjusters, new axle beam pivot bushings, new radius arm bushings, and even new rubber pads under the coil springs.

I went with Moog for everything and was happy with the fit and finish of all items. I used a balljoint press from one of the local shop's free loan-a-tool program. It worked great.

I found the ball joints to be the easiest part. Those axle beam pivot bushings were a real pain.