Bullnose Forums

Lost and cornfused

...emission laws in Kentucky as there are no vehicle inspections.
Federal law applies everywhere, and it's just illegal to remove or disable emissions controls. The fact that there are no local inspections means you can get away with it for a while, but the way laws are changing right now, I don't think it'll be "forever" or even as long as you own this truck. So rather than set yourself up for some BIG expenses in the future (when these parts are even-harder to find), I think it's cheaper, easier, & better to just keep them working.

But it's your truck.

That's what I don't like. Most of the emissions were gone when I got my 1986 a few years ago.

Where I live now doesn't require inspections.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...emission laws in Kentucky as there are no vehicle inspections.
Federal law applies everywhere, and it's just illegal to remove or disable emissions controls. The fact that there are no local inspections means you can get away with it for a while, but the way laws are changing right now, I don't think it'll be "forever" or even as long as you own this truck. So rather than set yourself up for some BIG expenses in the future (when these parts are even-harder to find), I think it's cheaper, easier, & better to just keep them working.

But it's your truck.

That's what I don't like. Most of the emissions were gone when I got my 1986 a few years ago.

Where I live now doesn't require inspections.

Here, either. But all my engines still have all their factory emissions, and they all run great; despite having ALL been swapped in from junk vehicles. The Bronco's is approaching a million miles, without a rebuild.

Thanks again to you all. I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to learn. I will look at these links and mull over the responses in hopes of coming to a better understanding of how it all works and changes over.

Thanks again.

William

Buy cheap, get cheap, We may see you "on the side of the road"

Why is it everyone can buy cheap twice or 3 times but not by quality once?:nabble_anim_blbl:

Here, either. But all my engines still have all their factory emissions, and they all run great; despite having ALL been swapped in from junk vehicles. The Bronco's is approaching a million miles, without a rebuild.

Steve, very true. Here we have an "update" clause, that essentially lets you install a later engine, but it only needs to meet the requirements for the vehicle year. I have a 1996 MAF/SEFI on my 1986 F350. The F250 HD and the F350 were still non-catalyst through 1987. I have everything for the 1996 OBD-II system, except the misfire detector and third O2 sensor. No air pump, because on the EFI 7.5L all it did was deliver air to the center of the catalytic converter.

I imagine that it is probably a cleaner running engine than the dual air pump system ever was. Since it is SEFI, there are two O2 sensors, one in each exhaust down pipe.

Buy cheap, get cheap, We may see you "on the side of the road"

Why is it everyone can buy cheap twice or 3 times but not by quality once?:nabble_anim_blbl:

I never said I was buying cheap. I only said I was on a budget and I want to plan appropriately. Amazing how people read so much into a simple question of someone seeking knowledge.

So much for a nice forum where people actually try to help and not just put down. I will withdraw my questions and seek understanding elsewhere.

Thank you, Gary and others for the information provided on this site. It is informative.

I never said I was buying cheap. I only said I was on a budget and I want to plan appropriately. Amazing how people read so much into a simple question of someone seeking knowledge.

So much for a nice forum where people actually try to help and not just put down. I will withdraw my questions and seek understanding elsewhere.

Thank you, Gary and others for the information provided on this site. It is informative.

Please don't withdraw the question. And certainly don't go elsewhere.

I don't think Ron/reamer was being as derogatory as you seem to think. I know him and that's not his style. I think it is a situation pretty much as you said - "amazing how people read so much into" and I'll finish with "the printed word".

Please don't withdraw the question. And certainly don't go elsewhere.

I don't think Ron/reamer was being as derogatory as you seem to think. I know him and that's not his style. I think it is a situation pretty much as you said - "amazing how people read so much into" and I'll finish with "the printed word".

Stark contrast to T Doorly's posts the other day about how helpful and considerate the members of the forum are.

Maybe a response to the tongue out smiley???

While I can be pedantic and know that Ford built a compliant and reliable system, I also know that sometimes the stars don't align.

The "right" parts are out of reach or simply unavailable.

I attempted to directly address the questions in the first post, while acknowledging Bill's reservations about 'globally sourced' parts.

Sad to see William go, and I wish him the best with his project, whatever path he chooses. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good afternoon, everyone!

I normally stay in the back ground [reading and learning] except for offering items, often NOS, which I find and share with fellow forum members. I now feel the need to share my thoughts for the health of OUR forum.

We are a family and one which is rapidly growing. As such, we need to work to get to know each other and realize we all have talents and different personalities. Personalities can sometimes cause friction. I sense that this is happening within this thread and appeal to all to try our best to assist each other in a way that is most helpful and encouraging. All of us have value and we do not want to lose any.

Hystrymkrs, I ask you to reconsider leaving the forum. From reading your posts, I know you are educated and write well and are willing to investigate, work and help others in the future.

Perhaps I can assist with your current project in that I have a 1986 with 4.9L engine which has been modified regarding ignition. There are other options than have yet been discussed. Please let me know if you are interested.

I hope all of you have a good rest of the day and I want to thank each of you for your valuable input and willingness to share.

Gary, forgive me if I have overstepped in what I have posted.

Good afternoon, everyone!

I normally stay in the back ground [reading and learning] except for offering items, often NOS, which I find and share with fellow forum members. I now feel the need to share my thoughts for the health of OUR forum.

We are a family and one which is rapidly growing. As such, we need to work to get to know each other and realize we all have talents and different personalities. Personalities can sometimes cause friction. I sense that this is happening within this thread and appeal to all to try our best to assist each other in a way that is most helpful and encouraging. All of us have value and we do not want to lose any.

Hystrymkrs, I ask you to reconsider leaving the forum. From reading your posts, I know you are educated and write well and are willing to investigate, work and help others in the future.

Perhaps I can assist with your current project in that I have a 1986 with 4.9L engine which has been modified regarding ignition. There are other options than have yet been discussed. Please let me know if you are interested.

I hope all of you have a good rest of the day and I want to thank each of you for your valuable input and willingness to share.

Gary, forgive me if I have overstepped in what I have posted.

David/1986F150Six - You weren't off base in any way. We are a family, albeit a rapidly growing one. In fact, we're at 307 members as of today, which is both good and bad. It is good in that we have more experience to help solve problems and people with which to share our achievements. It is bad in that the larger we are the more difficult it is to know each other.

And we do need to get to know each other as we all have personalities, experiences, and ways of saying things that are specific to us. Frankly, there have been times that people have said things in a way that miffed me. But, after cooling down and re-reading the comment I've usually realized that they are right and I'm wrong, or that I misunderstood what was being said. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I've known Ron/reamer for several years, from way back on FTE. While we've not met we've communicated back and forth and we've even developed things together, like the dash patch. So I'm confident that he didn't mean that William is cheap. In fact, he was probably referring to his own debacle with non-Ford parts.

Given that, I expect that this is a misunderstanding of what was meant with particular words and emoticons. And I, too, hope that William will reconsider. But whatever happens, we all need to be cognizant of how things might be taken, in spite of how they were meant - myself included. :nabble_smiley_blush:

David/1986F150Six - You weren't off base in any way. We are a family, albeit a rapidly growing one. In fact, we're at 307 members as of today, which is both good and bad. It is good in that we have more experience to help solve problems and people with which to share our achievements. It is bad in that the larger we are the more difficult it is to know each other.

And we do need to get to know each other as we all have personalities, experiences, and ways of saying things that are specific to us. Frankly, there have been times that people have said things in a way that miffed me. But, after cooling down and re-reading the comment I've usually realized that they are right and I'm wrong, or that I misunderstood what was being said. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I've known Ron/reamer for several years, from way back on FTE. While we've not met we've communicated back and forth and we've even developed things together, like the dash patch. So I'm confident that he didn't mean that William is cheap. In fact, he was probably referring to his own debacle with non-Ford parts.

Given that, I expect that this is a misunderstanding of what was meant with particular words and emoticons. And I, too, hope that William will reconsider. But whatever happens, we all need to be cognizant of how things might be taken, in spite of how they were meant - myself included. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Hi Hatrymkrs

First off, my apologies, if I offended you in anyway, But I was just reacting to my actual experience with going to the one-wire HEI system.

I was not willing to do the Duraspark II system cause the 1-wire seemed very easy and (for me) was cheap.

After getting the HEI and having to get a relay so the HEI would be fed a true 12V, And Gary was the one to show me how to wire it, the HEI didn't last 1 driving season, the module popped, leaving me on the side of the road. A tow home and a call the company, got a new module, got it running, for about 4 weeks, then it starting popping and backfiring, loss of power. It died again, but I got it back to "sad" life.

Called them again and got a whole new HEI Dizzy, threw the first on in the trash, installed the second. It ran OK for 1 season and started the same "popping" again.

Pissed, I ripped it out and with the help of Gary and others here, I sourced a Duraspark II, Dizzy and module, along with the correct harness.

Wired it all up and it's been running great for 3+ years now!

My comment "buy cheap get cheap" is really commenting on me.

I leaned my lesson, and just don't want anyone else stranded with lower quality stuff.

Guess I'm a believer of NOS Ford parts that can run and run.

Besides a duraspark dizzy "looks" better (to me) that that big honking HEI that I had.

Hope this helps.

Ron