Bullnose Forums

starter grinding

longsix

hey guys,

is it possible to get the flex plate on backwards?

after pulling the starter i noticed where the edge of the starter has been chewed up.

i apologize ahead of time for this is not my bullnose , but my brothers other kind of truck.

Other kind? You mean the sissy type that wears a bow tie? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Anyway, I think you could get a Ford flexplate on backwards, but I don't know about others. And I'm basing my thinking on the M-block crank I made a spacer for. It has an even bolt spacing for all but one pair of bolts, so it seems to me like you could turn it around and still get it on.

If it is a GM built engine, Chevy in particular, they use shims between the starter and block to adjust the gear mesh clearance. If it is a older Ford truck with an FE engine there are different flex plates and flywheels. Early FE engines (and Y-blocks) used what was called a folo-thru starter, a Bendix (inertia) drive that engaged from the back side so the ring gear (flex plate or flywheel) had teeth with a rear bevel rather than a front bevel.

The other issue on Ford starters is automatic vs. manual, the ring gear depth in the bell housing is different, and if I remember the spacing correctly, a manual transmission starter will get the nose chewed up if used on an automatic transmission application.

If it is a GM built engine, Chevy in particular, they use shims between the starter and block to adjust the gear mesh clearance. If it is a older Ford truck with an FE engine there are different flex plates and flywheels. Early FE engines (and Y-blocks) used what was called a folo-thru starter, a Bendix (inertia) drive that engaged from the back side so the ring gear (flex plate or flywheel) had teeth with a rear bevel rather than a front bevel.

The other issue on Ford starters is automatic vs. manual, the ring gear depth in the bell housing is different, and if I remember the spacing correctly, a manual transmission starter will get the nose chewed up if used on an automatic transmission application.

... and a *Ford* automatic starter will not disengage from a flywheel, destroying it almost instantly on the overrun.

• 3 years later...

... and a *Ford* automatic starter will not disengage from a flywheel, destroying it almost instantly on the overrun.

How do you tell an automatic starter from a manual starter? I just bought a starter from O'Reilly's and heard something rubbing when I started the truck after installing it.

How do you tell an automatic starter from a manual starter? I just bought a starter from O'Reilly's and heard something rubbing when I started the truck after installing it.

The only difference I know is in how far the Bendix gear sets (and extends) from the mounting face. (3/4 vs 3/8" stick-out)

I'm not even sure if the "nosecone" is taller on a 300/302/351 style starter.

Maybe someone who has a Windsor style bellhousing could better answer this question.

The only difference I know is in how far the Bendix gear sets (and extends) from the mounting face. (3/4 vs 3/8" stick-out)

I'm not even sure if the "nosecone" is taller on a 300/302/351 style starter.

Maybe someone who has a Windsor style bellhousing could better answer this question.

Turns out the guy at O'Reilly's didn't ask if I had a manual or automatic. When I took the starter back they looked up the number, and sure enough they gave me an automatic starter. Have to wait for a manual starter to arrive tomorrow, but at least they were good about taking the automatic one back even after I had installed it. They just took it in as a warranty return.

Turns out the guy at O'Reilly's didn't ask if I had a manual or automatic. When I took the starter back they looked up the number, and sure enough they gave me an automatic starter. Have to wait for a manual starter to arrive tomorrow, but at least they were good about taking the automatic one back even after I had installed it. They just took it in as a warranty return.

Glad you got it sorted. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm glad you figured it out with the parts store. :nabble_smiley_good:

Usually I get annoyed with all the questions, but in this case it was the question they didn't ask that was most important.

Wow, it's amazing that they don't stock a manual starter for a Windsor.

I know I'm getting old (as are these trucks)