Bullnose Forums

Daily Rebuild

blackdog

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of spending money on a bearing puller assembly, i dropped off my TOD trans at a local shop to have them remove the main case bearings so i can get to work disassembling and cleaning the parts while i wait on the rebuild kit. Guy at the shop is charging me 65 clams (he started at 100 and i was thinking 20 or so, but it is NY, and it is way cheaper than the 300 something i would need to spend for puller assembly), and he assured me that he would do nothing more than remove the bearings. I dread having other people touch my truck since I had a "locksmith" change out the tumbler and break my horn pad, as well as the door panel tabs, so i am anxious to pickup and inspect my lil gearbox to make sure i get what i asked for. Anyway, with the idle hands i got to thinking ahead to the engine rebuild (which along with wiring harness rebuild will be all the major work that is done to my truck this year). I havent pulled the engine yet, and therefore havent opened it up for to inspect it, but since it's just a ring that has gone on it as far as i can tell, hopefully it will be a simple and straightforward honing and porting job with new gaskets seals plugs and the like. If this is the case, I will save money on machine work and not have to buy too many new parts, so i got to thinking about where i could spend a little extra on it for kicks. I'd love to put some shorty headers on it and a dual-rear-exit catback exhaust system on there, but was wondering if that'd mess with the EFI at all. I'm looking for an excuse to put some new American Racing satin black OE-style wheels on her, so if installing shorty headers instead of a standard exhaust manifold will throw off the EFI I wouldnt be too disappointed. Also, has anyone installed dual rear exit exhaust and not had to remove the spare tire carrier?

Instead of spending money on a bearing puller assembly, i dropped off my TOD trans at a local shop to have them remove the main case bearings so i can get to work disassembling and cleaning the parts while i wait on the rebuild kit. Guy at the shop is charging me 65 clams (he started at 100 and i was thinking 20 or so, but it is NY, and it is way cheaper than the 300 something i would need to spend for puller assembly), and he assured me that he would do nothing more than remove the bearings. I dread having other people touch my truck since I had a "locksmith" change out the tumbler and break my horn pad, as well as the door panel tabs, so i am anxious to pickup and inspect my lil gearbox to make sure i get what i asked for. Anyway, with the idle hands i got to thinking ahead to the engine rebuild (which along with wiring harness rebuild will be all the major work that is done to my truck this year). I havent pulled the engine yet, and therefore havent opened it up for to inspect it, but since it's just a ring that has gone on it as far as i can tell, hopefully it will be a simple and straightforward honing and porting job with new gaskets seals plugs and the like. If this is the case, I will save money on machine work and not have to buy too many new parts, so i got to thinking about where i could spend a little extra on it for kicks. I'd love to put some shorty headers on it and a dual-rear-exit catback exhaust system on there, but was wondering if that'd mess with the EFI at all. I'm looking for an excuse to put some new American Racing satin black OE-style wheels on her, so if installing shorty headers instead of a standard exhaust manifold will throw off the EFI I wouldnt be too disappointed. Also, has anyone installed dual rear exit exhaust and not had to remove the spare tire carrier?
I don't think shorty headers will bother the EFI, but I'm not sure of that.

And I understand about not having others work on things. Man, the stuff that "professionals" did to Big Blue before I got him should be illegal.

But, I don't know about just honing the block. In my experience the bores have been worn out of round and honing won't resolve that. So while I'm in there I always have the machine work done and install new pistons. But you may get lucky.

I don't think shorty headers will bother the EFI, but I'm not sure of that.

And I understand about not having others work on things. Man, the stuff that "professionals" did to Big Blue before I got him should be illegal.

But, I don't know about just honing the block. In my experience the bores have been worn out of round and honing won't resolve that. So while I'm in there I always have the machine work done and install new pistons. But you may get lucky.

I stopped by the trans shop as they were closing and saw that the man(monster) had heated the bearings in an attempt to get them to slide out more easily, but instead, this evildoer had melted the front case bearing onto the input shaft, which was removed from case, and he had also melted the rear case bearing onto the output shaft, which he had not yet pulled. i'm going to call him in the morning and ask that he not tinker with (to be polite) my transmission anymore, and say that i'll just pick it up when i finish my route. never again will i take anything to a shop that im not familiar with. ARGH :nabble_smiley_cry:

I stopped by the trans shop as they were closing and saw that the man(monster) had heated the bearings in an attempt to get them to slide out more easily, but instead, this evildoer had melted the front case bearing onto the input shaft, which was removed from case, and he had also melted the rear case bearing onto the output shaft, which he had not yet pulled. i'm going to call him in the morning and ask that he not tinker with (to be polite) my transmission anymore, and say that i'll just pick it up when i finish my route. never again will i take anything to a shop that im not familiar with. ARGH :nabble_smiley_cry:

Oh no! How did he melt the bearing onto the shaft? Did it hurt the shaft? :nabble_smiley_argh:

Oh no! How did he melt the bearing onto the shaft? Did it hurt the shaft? :nabble_smiley_argh:

I wouldn't trust either shaft as far as I could throw them. Any strength it had is probably gone. Would find a good lawyer and make that shop replace everything with new, not used parts. Sounds like our favorite group of monkeys have relocated North from Florida to New York.

I wouldn't trust either shaft as far as I could throw them. Any strength it had is probably gone. Would find a good lawyer and make that shop replace everything with new, not used parts. Sounds like our favorite group of monkeys have relocated North from Florida to New York.

I'm just gonna grab it tomorrow and see what the damage is. These TOD RTS 4 spd od are not too common, and I dont want to jump to conclusions, so I will see what's good tomorrow. I should've just spent the money on the tool for the job instead. Oh well, I'll never make the mistake of having someone else do things for me. If you want it done right gotta do it yourself!

I'm just gonna grab it tomorrow and see what the damage is. These TOD RTS 4 spd od are not too common, and I dont want to jump to conclusions, so I will see what's good tomorrow. I should've just spent the money on the tool for the job instead. Oh well, I'll never make the mistake of having someone else do things for me. If you want it done right gotta do it yourself!

Looks like the bearings arent melted onto the shafts, so I might be able to get them off. Darn guy was leaving his shop 15 minutes before close as i was pulling into the lot. Fortunately he didnt ask for a dime and I was able to keep my cool. I specifically asked him not to remove anything but the bearings, yet I now have a box of needle bearings, thrust washers, and other stuff and I guess that im.just glad there isn't a crack in the aluminum case at this point. I'll take a look tomorrow and upload some pictures so yall can have a look and share your thoughts. Good news: my daughter crawled for the first time! Wife had to use her phone as bait, lol. I guess that's the one time we will let her have the phone for more than a split second.

Looks like the bearings arent melted onto the shafts, so I might be able to get them off. Darn guy was leaving his shop 15 minutes before close as i was pulling into the lot. Fortunately he didnt ask for a dime and I was able to keep my cool. I specifically asked him not to remove anything but the bearings, yet I now have a box of needle bearings, thrust washers, and other stuff and I guess that im.just glad there isn't a crack in the aluminum case at this point. I'll take a look tomorrow and upload some pictures so yall can have a look and share your thoughts. Good news: my daughter crawled for the first time! Wife had to use her phone as bait, lol. I guess that's the one time we will let her have the phone for more than a split second.

That's great news - both on the tranny as well as the daughter crawling. :nabble_smiley_good:

I must admit I was confused when you said it was melted . .because we are talking about temperatures +/- 2000 degrees . . whereas the case will fall to liquid around 1260.