Bullnose Forums

Daily Rebuild

blackdog

Perhaps. I don't know who manufactured the cabs for Ford. I assumed they did, but don't know.

I was trying to get donor bumper w/ impact strips and bumper guards off of 84, but by trying to loosen the nuts all I did was spin the bolts. Any suggestions besides drilling the bolts out? I wouldn't mind getting new ones..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying to get donor bumper w/ impact strips and bumper guards off of 84, but by trying to loosen the nuts all I did was spin the bolts. Any suggestions besides drilling the bolts out? I wouldn't mind getting new ones..

Is there enough bolt behind the nut to get two more nuts on and tighten them against each other? That, with days of penetrating oil and heat might help you break the nuts loose.

These are a bugger to get off... I have had some success using a long screw driver or pry bar to pry the bumper away from the frame while loosening the nut, thereby keeping the square shank of the carriage bolt engaged in the square hole so it does not spin. This usually only takes you so far... and if it’s the one that goes through the bumper guard you probably found out how easily the square shank dimples the face of the bumper guard inward to where you can’t get it to “bite”. The goal is to get the nut threaded off far enough that you can get a hold of the bolt head with vice grips. The problem with the chrome capped bolts is that the vice grips grip the cap and the bolt spins inside it. So you have to can-open the chrome cap off the bolt. Sometimes you can get the nut off far enough to get pliers under the edge and get one side started like taking off a bottle cap. Sometimes you need to get a cut started with a metal chisel or sharp screw driver, then pic and pry at it until you get it off. Can you tell I’ve removed a junkyard bumper or two? I’ve also been defeated and had to leave bumpers that were giving me too much trouble. Drilling the bolt head might be a better way, but if it’s in the junkyard and you don’t have power you would need a very robust cordless drill...

These are a bugger to get off... I have had some success using a long screw driver or pry bar to pry the bumper away from the frame while loosening the nut, thereby keeping the square shank of the carriage bolt engaged in the square hole so it does not spin. This usually only takes you so far... and if it’s the one that goes through the bumper guard you probably found out how easily the square shank dimples the face of the bumper guard inward to where you can’t get it to “bite”. The goal is to get the nut threaded off far enough that you can get a hold of the bolt head with vice grips. The problem with the chrome capped bolts is that the vice grips grip the cap and the bolt spins inside it. So you have to can-open the chrome cap off the bolt. Sometimes you can get the nut off far enough to get pliers under the edge and get one side started like taking off a bottle cap. Sometimes you need to get a cut started with a metal chisel or sharp screw driver, then pic and pry at it until you get it off. Can you tell I’ve removed a junkyard bumper or two? I’ve also been defeated and had to leave bumpers that were giving me too much trouble. Drilling the bolt head might be a better way, but if it’s in the junkyard and you don’t have power you would need a very robust cordless drill...

I have a couple of these bumper bolts I need to deal with myself...

I believe the Flareside rear bumper uses the same SS capped bolts as the front bumper. I got two of the four out, but the other two are just spinning in the holes. I'm planning on cutting them off from the inside.

I have a couple of these bumper bolts I need to deal with myself...

I believe the Flareside rear bumper uses the same SS capped bolts as the front bumper. I got two of the four out, but the other two are just spinning in the holes. I'm planning on cutting them off from the inside.

Thanks for the input, all. Luckily the truck is in a driveway, so we shall see how my brother's milwuakee impact does with drilling through it. Will remove rosewood pieces today and put em on ebay since nobody here seems to want em. What should I list the set for? I figure 100 for both the door pieces, 150 for the dash bezel, 120 for the radio bezel, and 70 for horn pad? I've never sold anything on ebay so I dont know how to go about this, especially since I dont know the value of this stuff, I pulled those numbers out of thin air

Thanks for the input, all. Luckily the truck is in a driveway, so we shall see how my brother's milwuakee impact does with drilling through it. Will remove rosewood pieces today and put em on ebay since nobody here seems to want em. What should I list the set for? I figure 100 for both the door pieces, 150 for the dash bezel, 120 for the radio bezel, and 70 for horn pad? I've never sold anything on ebay so I dont know how to go about this, especially since I dont know the value of this stuff, I pulled those numbers out of thin air

You might be high on those parts, but I don't really deal with those things too often. Perhaps David/1986F150Six can comment since he watches eBay like a hawk?