Bullnose Forums

Daily Rebuild

blackdog

Hey all, this is my first post. I am a total newbie, but I love my bullnose (got me coast to coast) and want to make it road-ready again. I have had the good fortune of running into Steve83 on another forum, who recommended this site to me. I am about to pull the engine out of my trusty "darla". While it is out, I plan to take off the bed, front fenders and doors, and sand down and repaint the frame. Also, I wanted to swap out the bad alternator and swap a 3G in there. One thing that I have been unable to solve is how to get the horn into the steering wheel again. Seems like a frequent thing that people have installed some sort of horn bypass on these bullnoses mounted next to the headlight switch. I'd like to keep this pretty close to stock as far as the interior, so I will find a dash without the hole for the horn bypass drilled into it. Lastly, my gear lever is loose as can be, and the gear indicator doesn't work. My haynes manual doesnt help here. If anybody has any suggestions or questions, regarding these issues (not so much engine rebuild), I would appreciate all comments. Happy new year!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackdog - Welcome! Glad Steve sent you our way. :nabble_anim_handshake:

I hope you will document your project with pics and frequent updates as we like to live vicariously, seeing the progress others make.

But, since you posted in the "Projects" section not everyone is going to see it. (This forum is a bit odd in that you have to "subscribe" to threads, folders, or the whole forum in order to get email notification of a new post or thread. And not everyone has subscribed to this folder.) So, you should go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then start a new topic/thread in that folder to introduce yourself. Most people watch that folder and will welcome you.

Also, we have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Members Map in the menu) and I can add you to that if you'll just give me a city.

As for the horn, I've not known of many people having problems with them. The circuit is pretty simple, so I'm not sure why someone would have to bypass the switch on the steering column. Apparently yours is bypassed?

Lastly, my gear lever is loose as can be, and the gear indicator doesn't work.

That gear indicator issue seems to be showing up more and more these days. I'm not sure if anybody has found a proper fix for the cable yet, but if anybody has, Gary will know about it.

I thought this fix in the link below was clever (and inexpensive), but you might not approve if you're trying to keep the interior original looking.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Hello-all-Hope-this-fall-has-been-good-to-you-so-far-Wondering-if-anyone-out-can-hook-me-up-with-a-sm-tp15848p15870.html

As for the shift lever itself being sloppy, there are some plastic bushings inside the column that wear and break down, making everything loose. Some of them are still available NOS on Ebay, and the odd one is still available from Ford.

Blackdog - Welcome! Glad Steve sent you our way. :nabble_anim_handshake:I hope you will document your project with pics and frequent updates as we like to live vicariously, seeing the progress others make.But, since you posted in the "Projects" section not everyone is going to see it. (This forum is a bit odd in that you have to "subscribe" to threads, folders, or the whole forum in order to get email notification of a new post or thread. And not everyone has subscribed to this folder.) So, you should go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then start a new topic/thread in that folder to introduce yourself. Most people watch that folder and will welcome you.Also, we have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Members Map in the menu) and I can add you to that if you'll just give me a city.As for the horn, I've not known of many people having problems with them. The circuit is pretty simple, so I'm not sure why someone would have to bypass the switch on the steering column. Apparently yours is bypassed?
thanks! just posted my intro in the proper place! i'm stoked to have found your "garagemahal" lol

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 9:07 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

• 2 weeks later...

Found a donor truck to take all the interior trim and dash / door panels from, along with a seat (this has been especially difficult to find in my area) and tinted one-piece rear windshield AND n.o.s. driver side door! Also found dash inlay from an 80-81 custom which I am really excited about, since I want my truck to look like an 80/1 with efi. Now all I need to find is a steering column and maybe a 80 grille and hood lettering (although lmc has the unpainted ones for about sixty bones, which is reasonable).

Any recommendations on wiring harness replacements? Painless looks like it should be good, and it says that the harness comes with all necessary connectors, although I have been told that the connectors are not available anywhere...

Next weekend I will be pulling off grille, radiator support and pulling/opening the engine! Pics coming forthwith

Found a donor truck to take all the interior trim and dash / door panels from, along with a seat (this has been especially difficult to find in my area) and tinted one-piece rear windshield AND n.o.s. driver side door! Also found dash inlay from an 80-81 custom which I am really excited about, since I want my truck to look like an 80/1 with efi. Now all I need to find is a steering column and maybe a 80 grille and hood lettering (although lmc has the unpainted ones for about sixty bones, which is reasonable).

Any recommendations on wiring harness replacements? Painless looks like it should be good, and it says that the harness comes with all necessary connectors, although I have been told that the connectors are not available anywhere...

Next weekend I will be pulling off grille, radiator support and pulling/opening the engine! Pics coming forthwith

Congrat's! That should work out really well.

As for the wiring harness, what harness are you replacing? American Autowire advertises some wiring for these trucks.

Congrat's! That should work out really well.As for the wiring harness, what harness are you replacing? American Autowire advertises some wiring for these trucks.
I was looking to replace almost, if not all wiring.  Chassis, engine. 

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019, 5:39 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

• 2 weeks later...