Bullnose Forums

valve replacement and brands?

reebadoo

You originally asked about Sealed Power valves. In my limited experience of buying valves those are fine. And those two need to be replaced.

i know they need to, but i was wondering the quality so if i have to get different valves i can get a matched set of 8. like i said i want to do this right. has anyone had experiences with different valve companies like sealed power or others that they can tell me about?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know they need to, but i was wondering the quality so if i have to get different valves i can get a matched set of 8. like i said i want to do this right. has anyone had experiences with different valve companies like sealed power or others that they can tell me about?

Many of the boxed parts are made by the same manufacturer. The good named part is about as good as you can do. And like I said, it's probably not the valves fault, it was the lack of heat conduction when on the seat.

i am going to school for diesel technology. and they have everything to do heads in the building and the block will be machined either at the school in the high performance engine shop or at an engine shop in town. im not sure which yet. unfortunately i dont have much money so im trying to do it right but do it on a budget because i am a student in school haha.

I understand. I have a valve machine in my shop where I do restoration. I barely use it, but nice o have.

two of the valves are cracked. i will put up a few pictures once i get a chance. but one valve is cracked from the edge in about 1/8th of an inch and the other is maybe 1/16th cracked through from the top to the bottom.

I asked how the guides and seats look.

If they are still good (tight and not recessed) you can go with the Melling valves from RA --I know, I know.--

$5.67 each. Replace them all for under $50 if it makes you feel better.

im going to have to have a machine shop go through and put inserts on the valve guides. the intake seats are good but i have to reface the exhaust seats to make sure they seat correctly.

im going to have to have a machine shop go through and put inserts on the valve guides. the intake seats are good but i have to reface the exhaust seats to make sure they seat correctly.

"Inserts *on* the valve guides"???

Sounds kind of oxymoronic. ..

A good machine shop will install new guides, ream to size and either cut the seats (if it won't leave the valve too deep) or shrink new seats into the head.

If you're talking about knurling the inside of the guides, please don't.

That's never a long term solution.

"Inserts *on* the valve guides"???

Sounds kind of oxymoronic. ..

A good machine shop will install new guides, ream to size and either cut the seats (if it won't leave the valve too deep) or shrink new seats into the head.

If you're talking about knurling the inside of the guides, please don't.

That's never a long term solution.

sorry i meant to put new guides in. the heads were knurled once before so i will have to have the guides replaced.

The knurled guides may be why you are having the problem you are having know .

i got the engine to rebuild and put in my 1977... i know its a little before the fourm but Gary said i could come on and ask about my valve question. but this is the first time i have cracked this engine open and i know i have alot of work i need to do to make it right instead of the quick fix way someone else did.

i got the engine to rebuild and put in my 1977... i know its a little before the fourm but Gary said i could come on and ask about my valve question. but this is the first time i have cracked this engine open and i know i have alot of work i need to do to make it right instead of the quick fix way someone else did.

We have knowledge about more than just the 80 - 86 trucks, and are happy to share it. So keep asking questions.