Bullnose Forums

E-85 fuel in new Carb?

I am installing a new carburator in the truck tomorrow. I was reading the manual today and it says in all caps "DO NOT USE E-85 GAS WITH THIS CARBURATOR!"

Although I realize the long term effects of this, but what about the short term? I have a tank full of E-85 fuel currently (about 18 gallons). Should I find a way to pump the fuel out, or is one tank not enough to do damage? Is it a 'dont make a habit out of E-85 sort of thing?'

Sorry for the amateur question.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good question.

My first thought is I would put some Lucas fuel treatment in it and get rid of the gas that's in it.

Won't take long! :nabble_smiley_thinking:

https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treatments/safeguard-ethanol-fuel-conditioner-with-stabilizers

I agree. Put some of the conditioner in and then burn the gas. But I wouldn't use any ethanol after that as one guy on FB said his Edelbrocks have died from it. And the fact that it says not to use E85 is significant.

Here in the only state that is OK we have lots of 100% gas available. That's all I use, in all our vehicles.

I agree. Put some of the conditioner in and then burn the gas. But I wouldn't use any ethanol after that as one guy on FB said his Edelbrocks have died from it. And the fact that it says not to use E85 is significant.

Here in the only state that is OK we have lots of 100% gas available. That's all I use, in all our vehicles.

I thought E85 was to be used ONLY in newer cars/trucks, flex fuel?

Heck I will not use E15 in my 02 Dodge with EFI and the pumps says it is ok.

What kind of MPG you getting between the E85, E15 and what most can get E10 and if you can the good old stuff?

They say the higher the % of E the worst the MPG?

I would say if you are going to run that tank thru it in 1 shot, say long trip, I don't think it would be an issue then go with normal fuel.

The reason behind it is the fuel is not sitting in the bowl eating away at it it is just passing thru.

It is the "E" in E15 or E85 that does in the older fuel systems both the rubber & metal parts not made for it.

Just my take on it.

Dave ----

I thought E85 was to be used ONLY in newer cars/trucks, flex fuel?

Heck I will not use E15 in my 02 Dodge with EFI and the pumps says it is ok.

What kind of MPG you getting between the E85, E15 and what most can get E10 and if you can the good old stuff?

They say the higher the % of E the worst the MPG?

I would say if you are going to run that tank thru it in 1 shot, say long trip, I don't think it would be an issue then go with normal fuel.

The reason behind it is the fuel is not sitting in the bowl eating away at it it is just passing thru.

It is the "E" in E15 or E85 that does in the older fuel systems both the rubber & metal parts not made for it.

Just my take on it.

Dave ----

Yes, that was my assumption as well - that the fuel would be burned pretty quickly.

And, I agree that E85 should not be used in these trucks. The fuel lines were not designed for it. In fact, even smaller percentages of ethanol hurt the hoses. As an example, when I got Dad's truck it was dripping gas from the rear tank. I investigated and the hose from the tank to the hard line was so gooey that gas was dripping right through the wall of the hose. And when I pulled the hose off I wadded it up in a ball and it stayed that way. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Thanks for the responses everyone! I will figure out a way to get that E85 out of there and get some non ethanol gas in!

Expanding on what Dave touched on... Are you sure it's E85? I would assume a vehicle you are putting a carb on is not a "flex fuel" vehicle (only some newer vehicles can use E85), so it probably shouldn't have had E85 in it to begin with.

E15 is much more likely, and I wouldn't worry about running it through the new carb.

Expanding on what Dave touched on... Are you sure it's E85? I would assume a vehicle you are putting a carb on is not a "flex fuel" vehicle (only some newer vehicles can use E85), so it probably shouldn't have had E85 in it to begin with.

E15 is much more likely, and I wouldn't worry about running it through the new carb.

IMG_20181221_112657.thumb.jpg.0cf0fa5b1d7a2134bb62ca0f69043a81.jpg

I apologize, because I have NO CLUE how Gary gets these images up here without a link, but that is a photo of the fuel pumps around here. E85 is what I usually use, and I have since learned that it horrendous for these old trucks.

IMG_20181221_112657.jpg

I apologize, because I have NO CLUE how Gary gets these images up here without a link, but that is a photo of the fuel pumps around here. E85 is what I usually use, and I have since learned that it horrendous for these old trucks.

Here's how:

1. Put your cursor where you want the pic and click the Insert Image icon

2. If your pic is on a drive on your computer click Choose File and follow the promps. If not, paste the URL into the "Or copy an image from the internet" line

3. Click Insert Image. And if you get a message saying that the file is too large, like your file is, then click the radio button for Big Size and click Insert Image again.

Give it a try on that pic?

Here's how:

1. Put your cursor where you want the pic and click the Insert Image icon

2. If your pic is on a drive on your computer click Choose File and follow the promps. If not, paste the URL into the "Or copy an image from the internet" line

3. Click Insert Image. And if you get a message saying that the file is too large, like your file is, then click the radio button for Big Size and click Insert Image again.

Give it a try on that pic?

IMG_20181221_112657.thumb.jpg.26ff2e838d1390997e048a6a1446e787.jpg

Did it work?