Bullnose Forums

Fuel Saver Option

Gary Lewis

Steve - That's an interesting theory. And, it may have answered a long-standing question about the "Pony".

I turned to the page on fans (Cooling Systems/COOLING FAN #'S & ILLUSTRATIONS) and found that there's no really small fan to fit your theory - except for the "Pony", which got a little bitty 15" fan as opposed to the 18"+ fan for other 300 six's.

As explained on the 1982-84 Pony tab on the Bullnose FAQ's page, the Pony is mentioned several times in the catalog. But it is not mentioned in the dealer facts books nor listed in the price lists. So, my wonder had been if it was planned but not produced.

However, what if the parts catalog just has the wrong name? Maybe "Pony" is a term that Ford employees called the truck with the Fuel Saver option. And, note that the parts catalog also called it the Fuel Economy Package, so there was already some confusion regarding its name.

Gary, you may be correct, the 1975 Pinto Pony MPG model was essentially set up for the maximum engine efficiency. My daughter had one and drove it from Newport News to Radford and back numerous times at 30+ mpg on the interstates. The salesmen may have tagged the truck "Pony" for that reason.

Spoiler, aka Deflector (Front Air). It measures 50" wide and is a whopping 1" tall, so probably makes a huge difference in MPG. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Spoiler_Header.jpgSpoiller_Part_Number.jpg

Spoiler.jpg

Spoiler_Illustration.jpg

That spoiler / deflector looks like the same thing as the hood / cowl seal ... garage door seal!

That spoiler / deflector is different than the radiator lower air shield from what I gather.

The spoiler / deflector can force more air thru the radiator / condenser when at speed but it is keeping air from going under the truck and causing turbulence & drag and why the more MPG.

This radiator lower air shield I would think goes between the bumper & radiator support or the support & first cross member to keep hot air from going between this and back thru the radiators.

Also based on what I see posted the part numbers between the 2 are also different.

I would like to see this radiator lower air shield and how it is attached to the truck, I may need to make one for my truck with AC as it did not have one.

Dave ----