Bullnose Forums

300 Six Compression Ratio, Intakes, Heads, etc

Gary Lewis

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some have reported running a Clifford 2 X 4 intake manifold and with adapters, using a pair of 2 barrel carburetors.

Thanks, Looked it up, that is a pretty cool peace.

Here is a link

https://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net/Ford-300-Twin-Weber-38-Fuel-Delivery-System-08-7001F300.htm

Not sure about this

"FORD 240/300 Twin Fuel Delivery System. Performance gains are 120% Torque & 120 Horse Power. Want better mpg?

This kit is getting an average 10 mpg better than stock."

That would be sweet

Here is a link

https://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net/Ford-300-Twin-Weber-38-Fuel-Delivery-System-08-7001F300.htm

Not sure about this

"FORD 240/300 Twin Fuel Delivery System. Performance gains are 120% Torque & 120 Horse Power. Want better mpg?

That would be sweet

That's an interesting setup. Looks like something I'd like to try. But, I don't by the "10 MPG better than stock". I know of stock trucks getting 20 MPG, and it isn't likely one of these trucks would get 30 MPG.

Still, I'd like to see someone try one of those kits. :nabble_smiley_good:

Here is a link

Not sure about this

That would be sweet

That is basically the setup he used. They weren't selling the Weber carbs then, so we used a couple Pinto carbs. Other item, we had them with the carbs turned with the float bowls to the front I believe, may have been to the back and the primary bore to the outside. Since the truck had a throttle rod rather than cable, we built a nice system with spherical bearings for the shaft on the inboard side of the carbs so the original relay linkage (pretty fancy system Ford used before the cables) would pull a lever approximately where the Carter throttle would have been.

The issue with a lot of the older Ford mechanical (non-cable) systems was lots of monkey motion when they got older due to wear. The engineers had designed a very nice system that, unlike some others, was not affected by engine motion from torque.

That is basically the setup he used. They weren't selling the Weber carbs then, so we used a couple Pinto carbs. Other item, we had them with the carbs turned with the float bowls to the front I believe, may have been to the back and the primary bore to the outside. Since the truck had a throttle rod rather than cable, we built a nice system with spherical bearings for the shaft on the inboard side of the carbs so the original relay linkage (pretty fancy system Ford used before the cables) would pull a lever approximately where the Carter throttle would have been.

The issue with a lot of the older Ford mechanical (non-cable) systems was lots of monkey motion when they got older due to wear. The engineers had designed a very nice system that, unlike some others, was not affected by engine motion from torque.

All weber carbs like that that I have played with were a progressive v2 carb.

A small primary and a little larger secondary.

I can see where that would work on a set up like that over running 2 Holley 2300 v2 carbs that has 2 ports working together.

The hardest part of duel carbs is to have to work together and you need the flow meter to do this right.

I could never get the weber's to run the way I wanted on a Datsun 1600 motor or an AMC 258. On the AMC went with the Holley 2300.

Dave ----

All weber carbs like that that I have played with were a progressive v2 carb.

A small primary and a little larger secondary.

I can see where that would work on a set up like that over running 2 Holley 2300 v2 carbs that has 2 ports working together.

The hardest part of duel carbs is to have to work together and you need the flow meter to do this right.

I could never get the weber's to run the way I wanted on a Datsun 1600 motor or an AMC 258. On the AMC went with the Holley 2300.

Dave ----

Back in the day I used to sync multiple carbs with vacuum gauges. (Actually, a mercury manometer intially.) If you assume that the venturi are the same size, then vacuum at a given engine RPM is directly proportional to flow.

It is like E=IR. If you know two of the values you can solve for the third. In this case E is vacuum, I is flow, and R is the venturi restriction.

Used to do this routinely on 4 cylinder bikes, like CB750's, Kawi 900's, Yamaha 1100's, and the Goldwing 1200's. The linkages weren't perfect so we didn't get a perfect balance at every throttle opening, but we picked our balance point to be at cruise, and would go down the highway with one guy operating the bike and the passenger with the vacuum gauges on a board checking for balance. Stop and tweak and go again.

Back in the day I used to sync multiple carbs with vacuum gauges. (Actually, a mercury manometer intially.) If you assume that the venturi are the same size, then vacuum at a given engine RPM is directly proportional to flow.

It is like E=IR. If you know two of the values you can solve for the third. In this case E is vacuum, I is flow, and R is the venturi restriction.

Used to do this routinely on 4 cylinder bikes, like CB750's, Kawi 900's, Yamaha 1100's, and the Goldwing 1200's. The linkages weren't perfect so we didn't get a perfect balance at every throttle opening, but we picked our balance point to be at cruise, and would go down the highway with one guy operating the bike and the passenger with the vacuum gauges on a board checking for balance. Stop and tweak and go again.

I have tuned many sets of multiple carbs by simply listening to the "hiss" of the air going past the throttle plates. Most interesting to set up are the Jaguar E type series III with a 4 carb V12, two on each side. Any way you do them involves a lot of walking back and forth around the bonnet. I used to put them on a lift, raise the car just far enough that the rubber bumper pads would sit on the floor allowing the bonnet to sit vertically for better access.

I do still have 2 Uni-Syns, and one will be used fairly soon on this:

DSCN3117a.thumb.jpg.bb37899618863a8be818953d5e92520f.jpg

I have tuned many sets of multiple carbs by simply listening to the "hiss" of the air going past the throttle plates. Most interesting to set up are the Jaguar E type series III with a 4 carb V12, two on each side. Any way you do them involves a lot of walking back and forth around the bonnet. I used to put them on a lift, raise the car just far enough that the rubber bumper pads would sit on the floor allowing the bonnet to sit vertically for better access.

I do still have 2 Uni-Syns, and one will be used fairly soon on this:

'Vair? Looks like fun. What year? Are those Rochesters?

'Vair? Looks like fun. What year? Are those Rochesters?

1965 Corsa convertible, and yes those are Rochesters I rebuilt. The car was brought over here on 16 November so I could install and adjust. Missing parts, like the clips for the throttle linkage and the screws to attach it to the carbs.

Primary carbs are Rochester HVs, auxiliary (secondary) carbs are Rochester Hs.