Bullnose Forums

300 Six Compression Ratio, Intakes, Heads, etc

Gary Lewis

1965 Corsa convertible, and yes those are Rochesters I rebuilt. The car was brought over here on 16 November so I could install and adjust. Missing parts, like the clips for the throttle linkage and the screws to attach it to the carbs.

Primary carbs are Rochester HVs, auxiliary (secondary) carbs are Rochester Hs.

Cool! How 'bout posting a video of you tuning them?

1965 Corsa convertible, and yes those are Rochesters I rebuilt. The car was brought over here on 16 November so I could install and adjust. Missing parts, like the clips for the throttle linkage and the screws to attach it to the carbs.

Primary carbs are Rochester HVs, auxiliary (secondary) carbs are Rochester Hs.

Man I have not seen under the hood of one of them in years.

Got to love that fan belt.

Then they wonder why they would throw belts when the RPM got a little high :nabble_anim_crazy:

That was before everything had to have a cover over it so it would not "eat you"!

Think they made one with a turbo (spider?) what carb did that have, was it a v4?

Dave ----

Man I have not seen under the hood of one of them in years.

Got to love that fan belt.

Then they wonder why they would throw belts when the RPM got a little high :nabble_anim_crazy:

That was before everything had to have a cover over it so it would not "eat you"!

Think they made one with a turbo (spider?) what carb did that have, was it a v4?

Dave ----

The original Spyders were equipped with Carter YH side-drafts like the early Corvette.

turbo2.jpg.5aff5e76e85dc684905458bf869254db.jpg

180 horsepower from 164 cubic inches

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the 300/6 experts on here:

Can a later 300/6 engine from a 1987-1996 pickup be swapped into a Bullnose and converted to carb? Are the blocks and heads the same, or are there different castings in the later years? What about the water pump and belt system? Can they be swapped back to a V-Velt?

I'm just curious, thanks! My experience is only with the SBF V8.

Question for the 300/6 experts on here:

Can a later 300/6 engine from a 1987-1996 pickup be swapped into a Bullnose and converted to carb? Are the blocks and heads the same, or are there different castings in the later years? What about the water pump and belt system? Can they be swapped back to a V-Velt?

I'm just curious, thanks! My experience is only with the SBF V8.

Absolutely yes. An EFI straight six can be fitted with manifolds from a carb’d truck and a DSII distributor/ignition set up. If you also want to back covert the accessories from serpentine to V belt you can. The water pump turns the opposite way so you need to use the right one for the type of accessory drive. The long blocks are essentially the same for the purposes you are asking about.

Absolutely yes. An EFI straight six can be fitted with manifolds from a carb’d truck and a DSII distributor/ignition set up. If you also want to back covert the accessories from serpentine to V belt you can. The water pump turns the opposite way so you need to use the right one for the type of accessory drive. The long blocks are essentially the same for the purposes you are asking about.

Thanks Jon! That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure!

I was looking at the 300/6 engine frame mounts in the LMC catalog, and there sure are a lot of variations. There are different L&R mounts for 1980-1984, then 1985-1988, then the same mount for both left and right from 1989-1993, and then different L&R mounts again for 1994-1996.

If the blocks are basically the same, I guess then that there must also be a few variations of the engine mounts (the mounts between the block and the frame mount(s)?

This is what was causing me to think that there may have been different blocks in the later trucks...

And another question:

There are a couple 300/6 trucks at the local junkyard. One a 1996 f150, and the other I a 1992 F350. The engines are completely intact in both. Unfortunately, like all junkyard stuff, I have no idea on the condition.

Are they easily rebuildable? Usually just typical stuff like any V8 engine with regards to re-bore and crank bearings, etc?

Thanks Jon! That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure!

I was looking at the 300/6 engine frame mounts in the LMC catalog, and there sure are a lot of variations. There are different L&R mounts for 1980-1984, then 1985-1988, then the same mount for both left and right from 1989-1993, and then different L&R mounts again for 1994-1996.

If the blocks are basically the same, I guess then that there must also be a few variations of the engine mounts (the mounts between the block and the frame mount(s)?

This is what was causing me to think that there may have been different blocks in the later trucks...

And another question:

There are a couple 300/6 trucks at the local junkyard. One a 1996 f150, and the other I a 1992 F350. The engines are completely intact in both. Unfortunately, like all junkyard stuff, I have no idea on the condition.

Are they easily rebuildable? Usually just typical stuff like any V8 engine with regards to re-bore and crank bearings, etc?

The '96 may be EEC-V with OBD-II, SEFI, MAF, etc. The basic shortblock is the same, but it would make a nice upgrade if everything is there.