Bullnose Forums

Failed DEQ again

kristopherdb

I just ran up to DEQ on my lunch to try and pass again and failed again! Any suggestions I am at about double what I can be to pass.

I have replaced the EGR Valve with new, replaced the smog pump with new, connected the belt to the smog pump, put the vacuum line that was disconnected (green I believe) into the EGR Valve, Got a brand new Catalytic Converter, Muffler and exhaust, new air filter, new plugs, new wires, new oil change, ran two tanks of gas through it with redline fuel injector cleaner and some mystery oil.

I was for sure I finally had it and I am getting close to the end of my trip permit. I don't know where else to look. Now to be fair I was blowing a 2480 microns per millions and have it down to 390 so I made huge progress but I am at a loss. They say its running rich?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post the results and maybe someone can help.And, have you checked all the codes? If it isn't throwing codes then maybe you don't have the air plumbed into the cat and exhaust correctly?
Sorry probably a dumb question but how do I get codes? 

Image-3.thumb.png.8a14b931937513e23251cdfb455baa9f.png

From: Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address>

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:47 PM

Subject: Re: Failed DEQ again

To: kristopherdb <redacted_email_address>

Post the results and maybe someone can help.

And, have you checked all the codes?  If it isn't throwing codes then maybe you don't have the air plumbed into the cat and exhaust correctly?Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads, Weiand intake, Street Demon 750/ZF5/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches

Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/T19/3.55's

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Failed-DEQ-again-tp1563p1565.html

To unsubscribe from Failed DEQ again, click here.

NAML

That's something we need in the Resources section. But see if this helps: http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html.

You have a feedback system?? sorry if you do. I would just work around it . .meaning there are some tricks. Make sure you engine is hot. So totally warmed up and then some. If you can block the radiator nd let it climb a bit higher, it will help. Bring you timing back a bit, meaning retard it a few degrees. Is this an idle sniff test or more?

You have a feedback system?? sorry if you do. I would just work around it . .meaning there are some tricks. Make sure you engine is hot. So totally warmed up and then some. If you can block the radiator nd let it climb a bit higher, it will help. Bring you timing back a bit, meaning retard it a few degrees. Is this an idle sniff test or more?
They stick the sniffer in the tailpipe and measure and then have me rev it and measure 

From: PetesPonies [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address>

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:47:25 PM

To: kristopherdb

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Failed-DEQ-again-tp1563p1570.html

NAML

What’s a feedback system? 

From: PetesPonies [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address>

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:47:25 PM

To: kristopherdb

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Failed-DEQ-again-tp1563p1570.html

NAML

4.9L you do have a feedback system, that is how Detroit got carbureted engines to meet emission requirements. The burning questions are: (A) are they using CA standards? That brings us the (B) is the truck a CA spec, 50 state spec or 49 state spec? if it is a 49 state and they are using CA spec requirements you might have a problem unless you can convince them it is correct as sold. Check that the bowl to throttle body screws are tight and the gasket isn't bad, that will make a YFA run richer than it should, make sure the mixture control solenoid is working (you should be able to feel it cycling by putting you finger on it. Fresh oil change, new PCV valve will also help, What brand of parts are you buying, my son had a royal fit trying to use aftermarket sensors on a 1986 EFI 302.

4.9L you do have a feedback system, that is how Detroit got carbureted engines to meet emission requirements. The burning questions are: (A) are they using CA standards? That brings us the (B) is the truck a CA spec, 50 state spec or 49 state spec? if it is a 49 state and they are using CA spec requirements you might have a problem unless you can convince them it is correct as sold. Check that the bowl to throttle body screws are tight and the gasket isn't bad, that will make a YFA run richer than it should, make sure the mixture control solenoid is working (you should be able to feel it cycling by putting you finger on it. Fresh oil change, new PCV valve will also help, What brand of parts are you buying, my son had a royal fit trying to use aftermarket sensors on a 1986 EFI 302.
I’m in Oregon. The star type screws on the top were pretty loose. I tightened them snug and then a bump. I had done the PCV as well. 

From: 85lebaront2 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address>

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 5:46 PM

To: kristopherdb <redacted_email_address>

4.9L you do have a feedback system, that is how Detroit got carbureted engines to meet emission requirements. The burning questions are: (A) are they using CA standards? That brings us the (B) is the truck a CA spec, 50 state spec or 49 state spec? if it is a 49 state and they are using CA spec requirements you might have a problem unless you can convince them it is correct as sold. Check that the bowl to throttle body screws are tight and the gasket isn't bad, that will make a YFA run richer than it should, make sure the mixture control solenoid is working (you should be able to feel it cycling by putting you finger on it. Fresh oil change, new PCV valve will also help, What brand of parts are you buying, my son had a royal fit trying to use aftermarket sensors on a 1986 EFI 302."Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional"

Darth Vader 1986 F-350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD

2011 Flex

1994 Taurus LX

1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible project car

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Failed-DEQ-again-tp1563p1576.html

NAML

I need more help on troubleshooting the solenoid. I don't feel clicking but the whole motor running could easily cover that. While trying to feel it directly under it towards me there is a gold bell looking thing with a hose going to the bottom of the carb. There is a huge hole in it 

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Knotty Kris <redacted_email_address> wrote: