Bullnose Forums

460 Saginaw Power Steering Pump with AC

This is what I have right now, I think I would need 3C511 too, it doesn't look like 3A732 would bolt on to my existing bracket.

Here is an Ebay link with a better picture of what I have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-429-460-Power-Steering-Pump-and-Brackets/264013508385?hash=item3d786e6f21:g:IHMAAOSwWotb147T:rk:37:pf:0

That is the pump setup I remember from my 1970 and 1971 429s, the pump mount actually slides on the upper bracket and is secured with three washer faced nuts that have "teeth" on the washer face so they won't vibrate loose. Unfortunately after the "gas guzzler" buy back during the bankruptcies, a whole lot of these big land yachts were crushed.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the pump setup I remember from my 1970 and 1971 429s, the pump mount actually slides on the upper bracket and is secured with three washer faced nuts that have "teeth" on the washer face so they won't vibrate loose. Unfortunately after the "gas guzzler" buy back during the bankruptcies, a whole lot of these big land yachts were crushed.

Well my pump failed today, I guess I'm upgrading sooner than I thought

• 3 weeks later...

Yipes! No fun to have to do it, but hope it works out easily.

I am still searching for a pump and brackets. I was able to find a diagram showing the style brackets I'm looking for. I'm still not sure what years this style was used though. I've heard that there were several different styles used from 75-91. Can anyone with a MPC tell me if the compressor mounting bracket on my truck is the same one that the econoline used? I really need to buy a MPC and a CD drive attachment for my laptop.

Saginaw_mounting_instructions.thumb.jpg.214c6b51f44ab83228a93813c90a0214.jpg

I am still searching for a pump and brackets. I was able to find a diagram showing the style brackets I'm looking for. I'm still not sure what years this style was used though. I've heard that there were several different styles used from 75-91. Can anyone with a MPC tell me if the compressor mounting bracket on my truck is the same one that the econoline used? I really need to buy a MPC and a CD drive attachment for my laptop.

Ford F834,

I was a little confused about what you were talking about before. But I found this image on FTE, and now I'm pretty sure I know what you meant.

1987_ford_saginaw.jpg.ec19a45fe791ce740f3743e2bdfa1a36.jpg

I can take the left bracket from any 83-87 Ford truck with a 460. And I can take the right bracket (with pump attached) from any Econoline with a 302, 460, or 6.9. Correct?

Also, I believe the 78-82 left bracket is the one shown in my diagram above?

Ford F834,

I was a little confused about what you were talking about before. But I found this image on FTE, and now I'm pretty sure I know what you meant.

I can take the left bracket from any 83-87 Ford truck with a 460. And I can take the right bracket (with pump attached) from any Econoline with a 302, 460, or 6.9. Correct?

Also, I believe the 78-82 left bracket is the one shown in my diagram above?

That's my picture. :nabble_smiley_blush:

The pump shown came from a 1986 E350. (thank you Bill!)

in my case, the factory C2 pump bracket was a large aluminum die casting.

So the E-series bracket shown is quite different from what came stock on a V-belt 460 for the 1987 model year.

You would also need the longer standoff that bolts to the front of the DS cylinder head, and a pressure line from a van because the the nut and swivel are different than C2.

I had read on a Bronco site that a pressure line from an earlier 4wd F-250 would fit, but in my case it did not. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

The Saginaw pulley bore is also larger than the C2 style pump (750" vs .625" iirc) so be sure to get the pulley.

Sorry, I have no idea what kind of fitting and shaft were used on a 1976 'pencil necked' pump.

Nor do I know if the steering box fitting is the same. I DO know that your steering box differs from mine.

That's my picture. :nabble_smiley_blush:

The pump shown came from a 1986 E350. (thank you Bill!)

in my case, the factory C2 pump bracket was a large aluminum die casting.

So the E-series bracket shown is quite different from what came stock on a V-belt 460 for the 1987 model year.

You would also need the longer standoff that bolts to the front of the DS cylinder head, and a pressure line from a van because the the nut and swivel are different than C2.

I had read on a Bronco site that a pressure line from an earlier 4wd F-250 would fit, but in my case it did not. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

The Saginaw pulley bore is also larger than the C2 style pump (750" vs .625" iirc) so be sure to get the pulley.

Sorry, I have no idea what kind of fitting and shaft were used on a 1976 'pencil necked' pump.

Nor do I know if the steering box fitting is the same. I DO know that your steering box differs from mine.

Thanks, Jim (ArdWrknTrk). That answers a lot of questions.

1985 Bronco - Did it answer all of the questions? I can't tell but, if not, please say it another way.

• 1 year later...

I think that covers everything! Thank you guys!

Hi, I’m working on a 78 Bronco with a period correct 460 out of a truck. It has an aftermarket hydroboost system and I want to swap out the existing power steering pump with a Saginaw style pump. It has factory air conditioning. Just wondering if you found the brackets you needed and if you got the system to work for you. I’m not sure where to start the search for these brackets. I haven’t had much luck finding them online.