Bullnose Forums

460 Saginaw Power Steering Pump with AC

Hi, I’m working on a 78 Bronco with a period correct 460 out of a truck. It has an aftermarket hydroboost system and I want to swap out the existing power steering pump with a Saginaw style pump. It has factory air conditioning. Just wondering if you found the brackets you needed and if you got the system to work for you. I’m not sure where to start the search for these brackets. I haven’t had much luck finding them online.

Welcome to the forum. I can tell that you were anxious to post that question, but the email you were sent specifically said "You will then be taken to the New Members Start Here folder where we ask you to start a new thread/topic in that folder about yourself and your truck." But it appears you did not do that.

The reason we request that step is because that will bring you face to face with our guidelines, adherence to which is a requirement for being part of this forum. Others have been banned for not adhering and have said they didn't read them. So we want to ensure that you have had a chance to read them so that you don't get in that bind.

Please go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then introduce yourself and your truck. And once you've done that we can discuss the hydroboost question. I'm in the middle of my conversion on a 460 and can probably help.

• 4 years later...

Hi, I’m working on a 78 Bronco with a period correct 460 out of a truck. It has an aftermarket hydroboost system and I want to swap out the existing power steering pump with a Saginaw style pump. It has factory air conditioning. Just wondering if you found the brackets you needed and if you got the system to work for you. I’m not sure where to start the search for these brackets. I haven’t had much luck finding them online.

Welcome to the forum. I can tell that you were anxious to post that question, but the email you were sent specifically said "You will then be taken to the New Members Start Here folder where we ask you to start a new thread/topic in that folder about yourself and your truck." But it appears you did not do that.

The reason we request that step is because that will bring you face to face with our guidelines, adherence to which is a requirement for being part of this forum. Others have been banned for not adhering and have said they didn't read them. So we want to ensure that you have had a chance to read them so that you don't get in that bind.

Please go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then introduce yourself and your truck. And once you've done that we can discuss the hydroboost question. I'm in the middle of my conversion on a 460 and can probably help.

Reviving a necrothread because it seems my Sag is dead from sitting while I dealt with the fragmentation grenade that went off in my pumpkin! 💥. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Okay, so any recommendations on a really good Saginaw for an 86 Club Wagon? :nabble_anim_confused:

I'd obviously prefer new over some Cardone or store brand reman, and for the most part I can handle 'armstrong' steering while stopped or slow, though parallel parking is quite challenging.

Reviving a necrothread because it seems my Sag is dead from sitting while I dealt with the fragmentation grenade that went off in my pumpkin! 💥. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Okay, so any recommendations on a really good Saginaw for an 86 Club Wagon? :nabble_anim_confused:

I'd obviously prefer new over some Cardone or store brand reman, and for the most part I can handle 'armstrong' steering while stopped or slow, though parallel parking is quite challenging.

I look on RA and all I find new appear to be C2.

Nothing like the canned ham reservoir on my current pump (and I definitely don't want to deal with changing hoses or fittings!)

I look on RA and all I find new appear to be C2.

Nothing like the canned ham reservoir on my current pump (and I definitely don't want to deal with changing hoses or fittings!)

How about I ship you the one I got that is dented? I got it from U-Haul and they just shipped me another one so it is sitting around taking up space. You are welcome to it.

How about I ship you the one I got that is dented? I got it from U-Haul and they just shipped me another one so it is sitting around taking up space. You are welcome to it.

Like, all I'd need to do is swap the reservoir?

I'm sorry, I don't recall this incident, though I have nothing but compliments for U-haul's customer service! 👍

They've been great about combining shipping and getting it out right away.

I recently bought an '87-90 PS vent window latch (lot of 2) and only received one -I obviously only NEED one!- but they reached out within the hour and promised to make it right, and they did without question!

I'm sorry, I don't recall this incident, though I have nothing but compliments for U-haul's customer service! 👍

I recently bought an '87-90 PS vent window latch (lot of 2) and only received one -I obviously only NEED one!- but they reached out within the hour and promised to make it right, and they did without question!

I'll contact you on the back channel.... 😉

Yes, I think that might be all you have to do. And, for the others, we did connect behind the scenes.

Once I finish my 2nd cup I'm headed out to see what I have and will post pics and/or text them to you.

Yes, I think that might be all you have to do. And, for the others, we did connect behind the scenes.

Once I finish my 2nd cup I'm headed out to see what I have and will post pics and/or text them to you.

This is what I have now

IMG_20240617_084431_HDR.jpg.c71e212cbb8ee5a7a45e98e1ec6bc120.jpg

This is what I have now

Gee, that looks familiar.

Jim, on your pump issue, Mary's cousin bought a reman pump for his Chevy van, and had two in a row that wouldn't pump. I finally took my nice big 1/2" power drill and one of the threaded pieces from my pulley R&R kit. I spun the pump fast in the normal direction, and it suddenly sprayed fluid out of the pressure line.

Apparently the vanes were stuck in with what ever they lube it with and once they moved everything was fine.

Gee, that looks familiar.

Jim, on your pump issue, Mary's cousin bought a reman pump for his Chevy van, and had two in a row that wouldn't pump. I finally took my nice big 1/2" power drill and one of the threaded pieces from my pulley R&R kit. I spun the pump fast in the normal direction, and it suddenly sprayed fluid out of the pressure line.

Apparently the vanes were stuck in with what ever they lube it with and once they moved everything was fine.

Something has been squealing of late, and this pump isn't new, it's been good for over a decade, since Donny sent it to me.

I'm not sure that sitting (in type F ATF) could possibly gum it up.

It sure as heck was well used when I got it!