Bullnose Forum

Rear tank, no flow issue - Diesel

I pulled apart a valve i had from a parts truck.  There is a tiny motor in there that either pulls or pushes, depending on the tank.  There is a neutral position in which both tanks would be closed.  I though the valve switching from the front to the rear were a lot closer together, but they are actually quite far apart.  So I am now thinking the issue could be in the selector valve, just not switching far enough to allow full access to the rear tank.  I wanted to modify this set up anyways so I will start here.  I don't believe the fuel could return to the wrong tank as the supply and return valves switch together. The only way I could see that it would be possible is the arm that spans the center rod (to push or pull the supply and return valves), breaks and then it could be possible.   

I was going to try and add valves and such that I could switch manually to replace this unreliable setup.  I am now looking into modifying this valve with a bolt that i could screw in and out to switch tanks in place of the motor.  I could never rely on that valve anyways as it could fail at anytime, like they are known for.  So i would rather deal with the minor inconvenience of going under the truck to switch the valve. It would most likely only be once a year to run the fuel out and refill to keep it fresh. 

I will update when I get something figured out.   

3rd option is to run a frame mount transfer pump and use the rear tank as just additional fuel storage … and you can kick on that pump anytime (except while driving I guess... transfer to the return line hose with a one-way check valve etc)…. Edelbrock 17301 will do the job (Edit: may not be diesel compatible)… 

I’m almost tempted to do that but in my case I’m running dual in tank fuel electric pumps so I need a backup 😭

ps: after my factory fuel selector valve was not in the correct position and choked and killed my front electric pump (that is the dire consequence with an electric pump!) it left a bad taste. I went the cheap manual selector valve route. Spent about $70.. using 4 separate brass valves!! Inconvenient as heck and requires operator skill to ensure the valves are in the correct position.... but I do not want to drop another fuel tank ever because the selector failed. The setup Bradley bought would be better for sure...

Edited by viven44