Bullnose Forum

Replacing the AFR gauge, but with what?

Arright fellas,

So I finally realized that my dual AFR gauge setup is pointless. I knew this, and feel like a complete moron for not noticing it, but the intake runners cross over from one side of the engine to the other. That means that BOTH sides of the carb feed BOTH banks of the engine. In other words, having two AFR gauges is useless for tuning the carb. On top of all that, the cable to my driver side gauge touched the exhaust and got ruined. I'm not going to put the money into fixing a pointless system, and those cables are not cheap. I'll most likely remove the gauge and sensor, and sell them. Problem is, I already have a hole in the instrument cluster for the gauge. I'm thinking of adding another gauge, but only one that will serve a useful purpose. Best I can come up with is a rear diff temp gauge. What says the forum?

Vacuum gauge?  Altimeter?  Voltmeter?  Transmission temp?  Coolant temp after the thermostat?  I have both and it is interesting to watch the temp climb in the block, then the 'stat open and the temp in the block drop as the cold coolant hits, then the oscillation for a while as the 'stat adjusts.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2024 at 6:24 PM, Gary Lewis said:

Vacuum gauge?  Altimeter?  Voltmeter?  Transmission temp?  Coolant temp after the thermostat?  I have both and it is interesting to watch the temp climb in the block, then the 'stat open and the temp in the block drop as the cold coolant hits, then the oscillation for a while as the 'stat adjusts.

22 hours ago, mat in tn said:

i like the trans temp gauge but my first thought was vacuum.

I already have a vacuum gauge, and voltmeter. Trans temp is probably not that important in a manual. Altimeter sounds cool, but fairly pointless as I live at sea level. Secondary temp is also cool. How about inclinometer? Says the guy who never goes off-road! 🤣

I don't have an AFR meter, so I'm probably thinking the grass is greener....

agreed the AFR meter is probably not useful in exact tuning ... but it is telling something... I'd still want an AFR meter to know what is being burnt today is what was burnt 6 months ago... keep an eye on health of plugs, fuel passages, etc.....

Edited by viven44
  • Like 1

I would install a mechanical oil pressure gauge since the factory gauge, in the cluster, is more of an on/off switch. But, that's just the racer in me. I'd also want a mechanical water temperature gauge. My truck will eventually get an A-pillar pod with both.

2 hours ago, Bronco638 said:

I would install a mechanical oil pressure gauge since the factory gauge, in the cluster, is more of an on/off switch. But, that's just the racer in me. I'd also want a mechanical water temperature gauge. My truck will eventually get an A-pillar pod with both.

My cluster is all aftermarket. Gauges are electric, but more reliable/accurate than factory.

On 10/11/2024 at 3:06 PM, Ifitaintbroke said:

I mean, I guess I could put one in. I thought those were only needed for diesels.

You can use an AFR gauge to monitor engine performance just like any other gauge. It will indicate if you're running lean or rich. And, the gauge usually has dual needles so you can get an idea of how each cylinder bank is performing. I had one in my F Production SCCA racer. It was useful info but prolly isn't necessary for your truck. At this point, you have most of what you need, with respect to gauges that supply engine data. I guess you could also consider an hour meter.