Bullnose Forum

Standalone E4OD Controllers? Input Needed

https://www.efisystempro.com/sniper-transmission-control-kit-551-101-102-103#tab-specification

After reading this article it looks to me you can completely dissconect the display if you choose. It is used for initial setup and to moniter trans if desired. They have versions for carbs are sniper efi. With a carb you will need to have a throttle postion sensor.

Edited by Frogger2662

Yes, the display can be connected.  It is used for setup.  But since I don't have a display as I don't have a Sniper system the cost goes up significantly to $669 from the $565 if you have a Sniper.

But there's another concern - the wiring harness.  They only show these options for a Ford:

• Ford 4R70W/4R75W 1998+ (PN:558-470)
  • Ford AODE/4R70W 1992-1997 (PN:558-471)

Nothing for the E4OD per se.  I've read that an E4OD is basically a 4R100, but they don't even say that they have a cable for that.  :nabble_smiley_cry:

Instead, the Compushift controller page has a Q&A section where you tell them which range/inhibiter switch you have, and there are two, and then which case plug you have, and there are two of those as shown below, and I have the Late Case Plug.

And about that TPS, the Holley page doesn't mention one being needed that I can see, but we know it is.  Nor do I see that they offer one, though surely they do.  But the Compushift setup wizard asks you which carb you are running and, based on your answer, recommends one of two they sell.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't get a warm/fuzzy feeling from the Holley.  They assume I know too much.  I like the Compushift approach where they ask a series of questions, showing you the options via pictures, and then send you the kit you need.

What am I missing?

CompushiftPlugOptions.thumb.jpg.e547c914ee8a333a7ace87b1fc27f43f.jpg

I appreciate you finding the Holley unit. I want to make an informed decision so need to know what the options are.
I’m not saying one is better or cheaper than the other. But when I compare what they say they have, meaning cables for my tranny, and a TPS in know I’ll need, the Compushift feels like a more thought-out package. Holley probably has all the stuff, but you have to dig for it and know what fits what. 

13 hours ago, Gary Lewis said:

Pete & Frogger - Thanks, guys.  But I don't want to have to use a display on or attached to the device.  As said, the device will probably be under the driver's seat and will, therefore, be very hard if not impossible to see.  I know some people want to play with the "tune", but I'm wanting to set it and forget it.

So I'm wanting something that communicates wirelessly, and doing so to a phone seems ideal.  Am I missing something?  

I don't really use the screen a lot on the Quick 2. It's mounted in my glove box, in that little area on the left that is too small to be good for anything else.

IMG_3284.thumb.JPG.a20778676c6fdbbc3f1196eed76f12f7.JPG

The only time I actually access it during driving is to press the knob in, which disables OD. But the wiring harness has the ability to support an external switch and indicator light, so when I get that wired in, I will basically never need to access it. A USB cable plugs into it to connect a laptop so it can be configured with the laptop if needed.

But it does not have any wireless capabilities, I'm pretty sure. So probably not the best unit for what you are wanting.

Thanks, Pete.  That's a good use for that little area 'cause not much fits.

But you are right that I'd really like to have something with wireless connectivity for ease of use.  I really hope to set it up once and then not worry about it.

As for disabling OD, I kept the switch from Huck that goes on the dash, and it has a light showing that OD is disabled.  The Compushift supports that function as their documentations says:

Depending on the transmission type, some harnesses are equipped with wires for an overdrive cancel switch and overdrive cancel LED. An LED connected from the OD CANCEL LED wire to ground will light when the overdrive function is cancelled. The overdrive cancel switch is usually wired as a momentary switch to ground but can be configured as a toggle switch instead. See the section below on “Using Optional Features.”

I'd planned to put that in the little pocket to the right of the steering column, but then I see that "HGM sells three optional stainless-steel accessory switches to complement your application: A/B Mode, Manual TCC, and Overdrive Cancel."  So maybe I should make a little plate to go in that pocket.  I already have the dimensions/plans as shown on our page here.

CompushiftSwitches.thumb.jpg.80b3eee37952a157d05c6f1ea0767a15.jpg