Bullnose Forum

Standalone E4OD Controllers? Input Needed

One of the things I'm going to need for Dad's truck is a standalone controller for the E4OD.  So I'm looking for input from y'all.

I've been looking a bit, trying to get up to speed on what is being offered.  Here are a couple of brands I've read about:

• COMPUSHIFT: This one looks the most promising as it has an app for a phone and works via Bluetooth.

• US Shift: This used to be called Baumann, and they have the Quick 2 controller that looks to be the right one for my needs.

In any case I'll have to set up a throttle position sensor, as I think they all require that.  And I'll need a good power supply for it, so probably a relay.

As for mounting, the cab has a hole below the driver for the ECU's wiring so I'll put it there.  That'll give a short run to the tranny and easy access if I do need to connect to it via a laptop.

Back when I was looking into this Baumann was the best option as I recall.

The Compushift looks nice, and connecting to a phone would be an easy way to adjust it. It looks like a quality set up.

That was exactly my thinking as well, Dane.  Tuck it away under the seat and not even have to connect a cable to it.  I don't expect to have to play with it once it is set up, but I could if needed - without packing a computer or needing to access the Baumann's "graphical user interface" that appears to be on the device.

compushift! 

having used both I say compushift hands down. their wiring is plug and play and worked flawlessly. mounting the module discretely under the dash was nice and still visible by looking up. I mounted mine similar to where ford put the cruise control amplifier. past that the smart phone app worked great. and with my technical prowess that says a lot. adding the od cancel button was simple enough. in my case I had to use their add on tps since I was using a Holley 3310 of course.  the one time that I called them for tech support they were excellent. that's my 2c

• Thanks 1

I have the Quick 2 on my 81, it's been pretty flawless. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Better bring your good reading glasses if you want to configure it using their tiny display though. They do make software for a PC to configure it, and I messed with that once. It has very much been a set-n-forget proposition.

• Thanks 1

Gary, back when I first started the update on Darth (just looked at the pictures, 13 years ago) I was looking at a number of options, one was using a Baumann controller for the E4OD or find a compatible Ford computer and use a TwEECer on it. I originally went with option 2 and had purchased a used TwEECer that was a multi-channel one (10 tunes could be stored on it). It was during this search for assistance that I was contacted by Adam Marrer. 

I have a friend in Dover DE who is running an E4OD behind a carbureted 302 in a 1982 or 1984 F150. I don't think he is on FB, but used to be on FTE. I will see if I can find his thread and contact information for you. His name is Dan Lee.

Pete & Frogger - Thanks, guys.  But I don't want to have to use a display on or attached to the device.  As said, the device will probably be under the driver's seat and will, therefore, be very hard if not impossible to see.  I know some people want to play with the "tune", but I'm wanting to set it and forget it.

So I'm wanting something that communicates wirelessly, and doing so to a phone seems ideal.  Am I missing something?