Bullnose Forums

Eddy AVS2 vs Summit Autolite 4100 clone

Arright guys, here we go.

Currently the truck is running, but not great. Problem is the carb. It is a 600cfm Eddy Performer that, before I owned it, had been sprayed with silver spray paint (including down the air horn), had random kick down linkage welded to the throttle lever, then sat in the rain for over 3 years, full of ethanol gas. I "revived" it to a degree by soaking it in pine-sol and rebuilding it, and it runs astoundingly well considering what it has been through, but it will never be right again. I got both my AFR gauges working, and the passenger side idle mixture screw does nothing. It is running a bit lean on that side, which tells me the idle circuit is most likely plugged up with crystallized ethanol. Anyone who has encountered that stuff before knows that nothing short of aqua regia will dissolve it.

So, time for a replacement. I'm stuck between the Edelbrock 650cfm AVS2, and the Summit 600cfm Autolite clone. Both are derived from nearly antediluvian carb designs. The AVS2 is much more established, and has a great reputation. I have only met 2 people running the Summit carb, but both had been using them for well over a decade with no issues.

Thoughts?

The Summit carb is a clone of the Autolite 4100, which is a 4 bbl version of the 2100 and is a wonderful carb.

However, my pick would be the AVS2 as I like my carbs to hold the gas in with metal.  No leaking accelerator pumps nor blown power valves.  And it is very easy to adjust the point at which the secondaries comes in - unlike its older brother the AFB/Performer.

Basically, I don't think you'll go wrong with either carb.  But I'd go with the Edelbrock.

• Thanks 1

I'm very interested in the summit carb but I have no experience with it. I do however with the avs 2 and have only had good results so far so imo it's a proven performer. and I'm really a Holley carb guy. just what I have grown up with.

• Thanks 1

I had an AVS 2 but recently gave it away as it was only gathering dust.

Don't have any real personal experience with the 4100.

I've been a Holley guy since the '80's.

Used to run a 600cfm 80457-S and now have a 750

The Edelbrock/Weber worked well on my mild 460 but might come up short on your build. (It ran out of steam on top for me, but I didn't go there too often)

• Thanks 1

Bradley, what base gasket are you using on the Edelbrock Intake ? I'm sure you don't have the same problem I did recently on the Ford stock 460 intake but the motorcraft-style gasket meant for the 4180 prevents the secondaries from opening most of the time...

Recently moved to the Edelbrock 9266 gasket and it made a world of difference

59 minutes ago, ArdWrknTrk said:

I had an AVS 2 but recently gave it away as it was only gathering dust.

Don't have any real personal experience with the 4100.

I've been a Holley guy since the '80's.

Used to run a 600cfm 80457-S and now have a 750

The Edelbrock/Weber worked well on my mild 460 but might come up short on your build. (It ran out of steam on top for me, but I didn't go there too often)

Scotty recommended a 600cfm. The AVS2 is rated at 650 so should be adequate. Though we all know how the cfm game works...

19 minutes ago, viven44 said:

Bradley, what base gasket are you using on the Edelbrock Intake ? I'm sure you don't have the same problem I did recently on the Ford stock 460 intake but the motorcraft-style gasket meant for the 4180 prevents the secondaries from opening most of the time...

Recently moved to the Edelbrock 9266 gasket and it made a world of difference

I'm using a regular 4 hole paper gasket on top of a 1 inch phenolic spacer. I have used the thick Edelbrock gasket before. Good piece.

1 hour ago, mat in tn said:

I'm very interested in the summit carb but I have no experience with it. I do however with the avs 2 and have only had good results so far so imo it's a proven performer. and I'm really a Holley carb guy. just what I have grown up with.

Y'know Gary is secretly a Holley guy. Keeps one under his pillow. 🤣