Bullnose Forums

new member from GA

gwotton

Right, HEI. The instructions are on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition. Then go to the Ignition Simplification tab followed by the One Wire tab. There you'll see a schematic showing how to wire in a relay.

But you might want to check to make sure that the guy that installed it didn't put in a relay. I'd follow the wires coming out of it, the low voltage wires not the spark plug wires, and let us know where they go.

And, you are on the map.

Oh yes

I would definitely investigate the low voltage wiring, or ask the man who did it, since you seem to be in contact with him.

The factory Ford ignition coil is powered through a resistance wire, so the onboard circuit is always going to be lacking.

I live in Atlanta, GA. My zip code is 30318. Thanks for the initial thoughts. When I start it cold, there is no problem. It is only after a have lost engine power while driving that I am unable to restart it. After a short time driving, the engine loses power. At that time, the engine cranks, but does not turn over. If I leave it awhile, it starts up fine. needless to say, I am not comfortable driving it outside my neighborhood. I will start by testing for a spark. As an aside, I had a friend suggest that it may be an exhaust restriction? I replaced the exhaust pipe and muffler a few years ago...

Welcome to the forum! I lived in Atlanta from 2007-2009 in 30318 while attending school. Very active nightlife around there!!

two things to inquire on if at all possible. one is how long ago (in miles if possible) and two would be if he had this issue at any time. however, I'm not used to getting answers and rarely do I get true or understandable ones.  normally I'm starting blind. I have used many hei and have two in use on trucks that I own. certainly, prove 12v while running at the power going into the dist. it will be the red wire and using a multimeter between the red wire and ground will show potential for the coil. it is necessary for a relay to be used for this dist and any that are working without are lucky and running on lower spark then they could be.

One other thing, I used to see all the time on GM products with the HEI system. One weekend my USMCR 1st Sgt had his "Air Force Staff Car" a Chevy Biscane, loose the ignition going home. The coil is powerful enough to burn a hole right through the distributor rotor, causing exactly what you describe.

2 hours ago, 85lebaront2 said:

One other thing, I used to see all the time on GM products with the HEI system. One weekend my USMCR 1st Sgt had his "Air Force Staff Car" a Chevy Biscane, loose the ignition going home. The coil is powerful enough to burn a hole right through the distributor rotor, causing exactly what you describe.

Yep, that was very common back when they introduced the HEI system.  The vendors had to upgrade the caps and rotors, quickly.