Bullnose Forums

New Power Steering Hose - It swivels?

Hey Everyone,

I changed the hoses on my power steering pump yesterday. After installing the pressure hose, I put the assembly in the engine bracket (so that I could tighten all the line fittings and not spill any more ps fluid).

I noticed that the connection the pressure hose makes, at the pump body (see yellow arrow), swivels when I pivot the pump on the axis of the retaining bolt (that goes into the head). Is that correct? The 17mm fitting is tight.

20240912_072854a.thumb.jpg.2ee8ed75c668b1816813c1d5cb48c5d8.jpg

The new and old hoses looked the same and I did use the new o-ring that came with the hose. There was also a small yellow plastic cap that was in the bag, along with the o-ring. Not sure what that is.

I double checked the hose I purchased (O'Reilly's Precision 13401261) and the application appears to be correct. The ps pump came from the parts truck (1981 F-100 w/4.9) but the hose seems to be the same for all early Bull Nose trucks, regardless of engine.

Any thoughts?

TIA

It's fine. My factory hose did that, and the Precision replacement. Neither leak. It's weird, and I'm not sure how a fitting can move like that and not leak, but they do.

It has an O-ring where the fitting is put together. This allows it to move without leaking.

It has an O-ring where the fitting is put together. This allows it to move without leaking.

I was hoping that's what the o-ring was for. I was sure to install the new o-ring that came with the new hose (and even lubed it with old ps fluid).

It's fine. My factory hose did that, and the Precision replacement. Neither

leak. It's weird, and I'm not sure how a fitting can move like that and not

leak, but they do.

That's a relief, thank you!

Dave, it’s another Ford oddity, you did it correct, but a warning, Do Not move steering unless engine is running, it will burp fluid every where. Ask me how I know. Another Ford oddity. CJ

Gary, but that’s an extra word I didn’t have to type. CJ

Depends on how you count.

By the way, the C-II pump used in the pickups is the one that sprays if you turn the wheel with the engine off. The Saginaw pump used in the vans doesn’t. Which is one of the reasons I have one on Big Blue.

Depends on how you count.

By the way, the C-II pump used in the pickups is the one that sprays if you turn the wheel with the engine off. The Saginaw pump used in the vans doesn’t. Which is one of the reasons I have one on Big Blue.

I think the steering gear sprays fluid. I had a steering gear box out a couple days ago and when I wiggled the pitman arm around it sprayed fluid out...

Probably naive of me... but is it just that the Saginaw pump has a better reservoid lid to prevent fluid spray from escaping ?