Bullnose Forums

1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so jealous :nabble_smiley_what:

I need to find all the brackets & compressor for my 300, but first I should get it painted and on the road.

Dave ----

I will keep my eye out at the junkyard. If I find any more I will grab them. I know you are looking.

• 2 weeks later...

I will keep my eye out at the junkyard. If I find any more I will grab them. I know you are looking.

I have not had much chance to work on my trucks in a while, but today I was able to get a few little things done on it.

I replaced the parking brake lever with the newer style that has a switch in it. I still need to figure out the wire for it, but at least it now has the switch. I also discovered I still need new cables from the yoke to each wheel, but the lever and front cable are good now.

I have been refurbishing the overhead “shelf” with the visors on it. I recovered it with faux black leather material, and painted the visors with vinyl paint. Whoever fitted it before did a sloppy job if it and mounted the visor clips quite crooked. I straightened that out and replaced the ugly silver machine screws with black Allen head cap screw fasteners and nylock nuts on the back side. Since the “shelf” mounts to the visor holes, I wanted to have the headliner in first. I did that, but it is only being held for now with the visor fasteners and the dome light. I will have to finish the trim install another day:

0BF2DC54-661E-4CB7-87A1-B9AB199BC0A5.jpeg.839aef45655c725de48144bb68e045dc.jpeg

I upgraded the dome light to the one with map lights. Nothing is working, but neither was the old one. The main purpose today was to hold up the headliner. With each thing I check off my list I add one or two more...

I have not had much chance to work on my trucks in a while, but today I was able to get a few little things done on it.

I replaced the parking brake lever with the newer style that has a switch in it. I still need to figure out the wire for it, but at least it now has the switch. I also discovered I still need new cables from the yoke to each wheel, but the lever and front cable are good now.

I have been refurbishing the overhead “shelf” with the visors on it. I recovered it with faux black leather material, and painted the visors with vinyl paint. Whoever fitted it before did a sloppy job if it and mounted the visor clips quite crooked. I straightened that out and replaced the ugly silver machine screws with black Allen head cap screw fasteners and nylock nuts on the back side. Since the “shelf” mounts to the visor holes, I wanted to have the headliner in first. I did that, but it is only being held for now with the visor fasteners and the dome light. I will have to finish the trim install another day:

I upgraded the dome light to the one with map lights. Nothing is working, but neither was the old one. The main purpose today was to hold up the headliner. With each thing I check off my list I add one or two more...

Very nice project you have going. One question, did you repair your old headliner or is that new?

Looking good, Jonathan! That headliner will make a difference in the noise, which is especially helpful for long trips. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Onions have layers, dances have steps. Chose your analogy, but I can't dance so.....

Very nice project you have going. One question, did you repair your old headliner or is that new?

That is a used headliner from a junkyard. It was tan and I painted it black with vinyl fabric paint. I had read that it worked well on cloth. Maybe on some fabrics it does, but not on headliner material. It soaked up three entire cans of paint. It still isn’t as even as I would like, and is did get “crunchy”. It cost me more to do than buying new fabric for it and the adhesive to put it on. Lesson learned, but the show must go on. I painted this almost a year ago and it’s been in the way so I’m glad to have it installed, albeit only partially.

F575B797-4A39-4EB8-8924-E7ED018DC929.jpeg.59b9391856c8bac9511f3b9d5cde9b31.jpeg

E182C1B6-8C18-47C4-ADB7-72589696211C.jpeg.4921fe6232f74dda7487d7ed5223ab91.jpeg

That is a used headliner from a junkyard. It was tan and I painted it black with vinyl fabric paint. I had read that it worked well on cloth. Maybe on some fabrics it does, but not on headliner material. It soaked up three entire cans of paint. It still isn’t as even as I would like, and is did get “crunchy”. It cost me more to do than buying new fabric for it and the adhesive to put it on. Lesson learned, but the show must go on. I painted this almost a year ago and it’s been in the way so I’m glad to have it installed, albeit only partially.

Nice work, Jonathan!