Bullnose Forums

1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834

I'm no A/C expert, but you really should pull a vacuum on the system before filling it with 134A. This checks to see if there are leaks, and it removes any moisture.

If you can do or have that done then I'd go with that condenser. That way if it leaks you'll know, but if it doesn't you haven't spent extra money.

Thanks Gary, I will ask at Autozone to see if they rent the vacuum equipment. If not maybe there is a shop that can test it for a reasonable amount.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Gary, I will ask at Autozone to see if they rent the vacuum equipment. If not maybe there is a shop that can test it for a reasonable amount.

The equipment is available for rent. The "deposits" are a bit high as you can imagine, $155 for the pump and $130 for the gauge set but since it is returnable it does not cost in the long run. I will have to do this once I get all of my parts together.

The equipment is available for rent. The "deposits" are a bit high as you can imagine, $155 for the pump and $130 for the gauge set but since it is returnable it does not cost in the long run. I will have to do this once I get all of my parts together.

How long do you have to "rent" them? It is best to hold a vacuum for 24 hours to prove the integrity of the system as well as to boil out all the moisture.

But I can't speak to the oil question.

How long do you have to "rent" them? It is best to hold a vacuum for 24 hours to prove the integrity of the system as well as to boil out all the moisture.

But I can't speak to the oil question.

I "rented" a power steering pulley puller as I have not decided on which type to buy. The cost was $40 + $3.74 taxes. I had 90 days to return the rental before it became a permanent purchase. I don't know if all tools are the same, but that is what they told me on the puller.

So you leave the pump running for 24 hours? I am very ignorant when it comes to working on AC systems. I will have to read up while I wait for my brackets to come.

I "rented" a power steering pulley puller as I have not decided on which type to buy. The cost was $40 + $3.74 taxes. I had 90 days to return the rental before it became a permanent purchase. I don't know if all tools are the same, but that is what they told me on the puller.

So you leave the pump running for 24 hours? I am very ignorant when it comes to working on AC systems. I will have to read up while I wait for my brackets to come.

If the vacuum pump gets you 90 days you'll have plenty of time even if you find a problem.

Leaving the pump running won't tell you if you have a leak, so I'd bring it down to as low of a vacuum as the pump will handle and then close the valve and turn the pump off. Check the vacuum after an hour, then another time frame, etc to find out how much it leaks.

If the vacuum pump gets you 90 days you'll have plenty of time even if you find a problem.

Leaving the pump running won't tell you if you have a leak, so I'd bring it down to as low of a vacuum as the pump will handle and then close the valve and turn the pump off. Check the vacuum after an hour, then another time frame, etc to find out how much it leaks.

Okay, I was reading that you needed to vacuum it for quite a while to eliminate moisture, especially if it has been sitting open for some time, but that sounded excessive. I will have to do some more reading.

Today I put in the "new" evaporator and dryer. I think I have everything I need except the brackets and rental pump.

While I have that side of the engine cleared, it might be a good time to clean and paint it. We will see how much time I have. The dirty engine has been driving me nuts but I live with it because it isn't affecting how it runs. But that side won't get any easier once I have all the AC stuff hooked up...

Okay, I was reading that you needed to vacuum it for quite a while to eliminate moisture, especially if it has been sitting open for some time, but that sounded excessive. I will have to do some more reading.

Today I put in the "new" evaporator and dryer. I think I have everything I need except the brackets and rental pump.

While I have that side of the engine cleared, it might be a good time to clean and paint it. We will see how much time I have. The dirty engine has been driving me nuts but I live with it because it isn't affecting how it runs. But that side won't get any easier once I have all the AC stuff hooked up...

The dryer can have a fair bit of moisture in it, so can utilize the time with a vacuum to pull it off. The rest of the system should give up its moisture quickly.

And now is the time to paint the engine if you are going to do it. O'Reilly's house brand brake cleaner does a good job of degreasing.

Recommendation is at least 30 min at a high vacuum, then isolate and see if it holds. I have an ex Laboratory Duo-Seal beast that will pull a house central air system down in roughly 20 min, and will hold a damn good vacuum on a vehicle system with a small leak (learned that the hard way on my Chrysler). Good luck with it, unfortunately the excellent source I used to have for parts changed jobs or I would get him to recommend the correct orifice tube for best cooling.

Recommendation is at least 30 min at a high vacuum, then isolate and see if it holds. I have an ex Laboratory Duo-Seal beast that will pull a house central air system down in roughly 20 min, and will hold a damn good vacuum on a vehicle system with a small leak (learned that the hard way on my Chrysler). Good luck with it, unfortunately the excellent source I used to have for parts changed jobs or I would get him to recommend the correct orifice tube for best cooling.

You are really lucky you came up with AC brackets, I hope I have some coming with other parts my brother is sending from CA.

If you replace the condenser just know the part you get now do not fit with out some modifying.

Replace the AC drier, pull vacuum for 30 min as said and see if it will hold it for and hour.

If so then you should be good to charge.

Once I find/get the compressor brackets, condenser, drier and make up hoses I will be doing the same thing.

I will be following

Good luck

Dave ----

You are really lucky you came up with AC brackets, I hope I have some coming with other parts my brother is sending from CA.

If you replace the condenser just know the part you get now do not fit with out some modifying.

Replace the AC drier, pull vacuum for 30 min as said and see if it will hold it for and hour.

If so then you should be good to charge.

Once I find/get the compressor brackets, condenser, drier and make up hoses I will be doing the same thing.

I will be following

Good luck

Dave ----

I did indeed get very lucky with the brackets, especially working out a trade the way I did.

With the dryer, are you suggesting that it should always be replaced with a brand new one? I bought a very clean looking used one because I prefer to have original Ford parts where practical, but if these should not be re-used then I will order a new one.