Bullnose Forums

1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834

I must have read that same thread a few times this weekend

"The other note of caution is to take it easy on the RTV used to seal the case halves. Excess can clog the pick up filter for the pump. "

Funny - my wife was standing there as I was rtv'ing the case and I was explaining to her how much I drive myself crazy over stuff like that. Too much, too little, clog the pump, have a leak. Been second guessing myself since - even debated getting the wall camera out to look inside at the seams :D

That’s funny... because I suffer the same doubt 😅

Did you happen to do a re-seal of the GVOD? My whole business under there was pretty wet and gross. I was planning to reseal everything and wondered if the GVOD was pretty self explanatory? They say GVOD has great customer service, but it was like pulling teeth to get them to email me the manual, and when they did it wasn’t really the manual... it was something else. I gave up at the time. 🙄

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s funny... because I suffer the same doubt 😅

Did you happen to do a re-seal of the GVOD? My whole business under there was pretty wet and gross. I was planning to reseal everything and wondered if the GVOD was pretty self explanatory? They say GVOD has great customer service, but it was like pulling teeth to get them to email me the manual, and when they did it wasn’t really the manual... it was something else. I gave up at the time. 🙄

Not really. I took the adapter and sump off. Spent a few evenings cleaning them and then primed and painted (alumi blast). Figured I'd play around a little since the truck isn't waiting on it.

So the extent of my non-cosmetic work will be a new adapter gasket, new speedo oring, clean out the internal canister filter, clean out the sump filer, and new sump gasket (I went with the larger maximum overdrive sump).

I've read about some people rebuilding the units but didn't venture that far since there weren't any leaks and the fluid looked good.

I am just going to keep my mouth shut on the customer service and leave it at that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

gvod.thumb.jpg.5bdfb5972e1d1fb377b040d50cbd2973.jpg

Not really. I took the adapter and sump off. Spent a few evenings cleaning them and then primed and painted (alumi blast). Figured I'd play around a little since the truck isn't waiting on it.

So the extent of my non-cosmetic work will be a new adapter gasket, new speedo oring, clean out the internal canister filter, clean out the sump filer, and new sump gasket (I went with the larger maximum overdrive sump).

I've read about some people rebuilding the units but didn't venture that far since there weren't any leaks and the fluid looked good.

I am just going to keep my mouth shut on the customer service and leave it at that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Very nice! The kit I ordered from them had shaft seals and I honestly can’t remember what all. I don’t think it needs any rebuilding but leaks could be anything and everything for all I know. Mine has the deep sump too, which I think is a very good thing.

Very nice! The kit I ordered from them had shaft seals and I honestly can’t remember what all. I don’t think it needs any rebuilding but leaks could be anything and everything for all I know. Mine has the deep sump too, which I think is a very good thing.

Thanks.

I completely agree - on a truck the deep sump seems like a necessity.

Hopefully by the time either one of us needs to rebuild ours someone will have a step by step process already documented :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading through the first page of this thread about the eccentrics. I have a question. Little Blue 82 is going to get front leveling springs. Will the stock eccentrics be good enough for those springs, or will I need an aftermarket eccentric?

I was reading through the first page of this thread about the eccentrics. I have a question. Little Blue 82 is going to get front leveling springs. Will the stock eccentrics be good enough for those springs, or will I need an aftermarket eccentric?

I think you are going to need the compound eccentric aftermarket ones. I messaged with a guy who leveled his (lifted ~1.5” in front) and he said the stock ones were not enough to get it aligned. I’m not sure how much yours needs to come up to be level, but I’m guessing it may be similar.

I think you are going to need the compound eccentric aftermarket ones. I messaged with a guy who leveled his (lifted ~1.5” in front) and he said the stock ones were not enough to get it aligned. I’m not sure how much yours needs to come up to be level, but I’m guessing it may be similar.

Yes. Leveling springs are 1.5". Thanks for checking for me. I will order some eccentrics with the springs.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Steve. I was thinking it must be something like that re the ‘86 part number.

For Gary or anyone else following the 1356 I did read that spun retainers seem to go hand in hand with a seized pump. It’s open to speculation whether the seized pumps cause the spin out or the other way around, but if the case is opened to modify the arm it might be worth doing the pump too... if it is old or unknown condition. The other note of caution is to take it easy on the RTV used to seal the case halves. Excess can clog the pick up filter for the pump.

Annnnd, in my quest for e7tz7e215a it brings me full circle to Jonathan's picture of a mangled pump retainer.

This could be mine... IF it had consequently been caught up in the chain and sprocket.

Love how the guy on FSB seems to have a few of these to weld on.

Evidently they're only $5 from RSG... IF they were still available.

Annnnd, in my quest for e7tz7e215a it brings me full circle to Jonathan's picture of a mangled pump retainer.

This could be mine... IF it had consequently been caught up in the chain and sprocket.

Love how the guy on FSB seems to have a few of these to weld on.

Evidently they're only $5 from RSG... IF they were still available.

Boy, you sure are having "fun" with that. Wish I had one to send you.

Boy, you sure are having "fun" with that. Wish I had one to send you.

My bed, I'll lay in it...

So far this morning I've cleaned up both case halves, the tailshaft housing, main and secondary shafts.

(No parts washer here)

Some of the disaster I've made.

Put all the bearings in the freezer.

Found the welder (hiding under the stairs to the garage)

I'm working on getting a functional welding helmet.

And fixing the bench grinder I gave him.