Bullnose Forums

1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834

I am highly biased toward the straight sixes. I know they are not the answer for every occasion, but with each one I own I admire them a little bit more. My previous experiences have been with 4.10 geared F250 drive line trucks, and as such they are slow screamers (but strong). My current gearing is showing me a different side to this engine and I’m impressed! The close ratio and taller axle gearing is what I’ve been missing on my previous trucks.

I actually had one myself, albeit briefly, almost 20 years ago. I had a 1995 F150 4x4 with 300/6 & auto trans. I only had the truck a few months and sold it. The purchase was a mistake...the truck was fine, it was just the wrong vehicle for what I needed at the time. I guess my point is, I did have one, but I still know nothing about them.

I'd like to gear up a little short box Bullnose with 300/6 and 5spd. Ideally I'd like to find an '84-'86 model...forget about any performance parts, and focus on making a fuel economy special;).

At the end of the day, it really depends on what I find for the right price, but I do have an urge for a 300/6.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have much time today, but some ordered parts came in the mail and I decided to start with the fuel sender.

I didn't get a chance to test the output of the old gauge upon removal, but one obvious problem was the float was cracked and filled with fuel.

Another benefit of pulling the sender was that I discovered the fuel hose was gummy and crumbly like black licorice. It seemed fine when I originally inspected it several months ago, but once I started twisting and pulling on it it turned to mush. Memo to self, just replace these for peace of mind no matter how they look.

And since I had the support straps removed, I decided to replace them with the correct 4x4 skid plates upon re-installation.

Once done, I got a reading of just over 1/4 tank on the gauge. I don't know if it's accurate, but I did add a 5 gallon can to the tank so it is showing at least that. The needle does seem to pulse or float slightly, but I have not made a permanent bridge for the wires in the tank selector plug. Eventually I'd like to do the ICVR upgrade, but hopefully I can leave that for another day and it will read decently enough as-is.

I know it's an old thread but.....

That's quite the hitch ball you have on that truck my friend, lol

Sully

Sully

D88457AE-480F-4526-901A-E00B4B90560B.jpeg.963b742d7ec4e08d155846234b7f47d0.jpeg

This huge threaded shank? I guess in a world of square hitch receivers this is what you get. I had one similar on my ‘68 F250. The lock washer broke and fell out leaving the ball loose. I had no choice but to cut it. It wouldn’t tighten and I darn sure wasn’t going to be able to unthread that nut off of all those threads! I have a frame mount receiver for this truck, but have not gotten around to mounting it.

Sully

This huge threaded shank? I guess in a world of square hitch receivers this is what you get. I had one similar on my ‘68 F250. The lock washer broke and fell out leaving the ball loose. I had no choice but to cut it. It wouldn’t tighten and I darn sure wasn’t going to be able to unthread that nut off of all those threads! I have a frame mount receiver for this truck, but have not gotten around to mounting it.

That is how Ford likely would have made it. Have you ever noticed how long screws and bolts are, when not needed? Take for example the seatbelt bolts and on top of that [length], they have blue Loctite. :nabble_anim_confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, the engine was missing in the junkyard, so that will remain a mystery. The EGR spacer on the American trucks is separate from the carb, but now that you mention it the Canadian version looks like it may have a unique lower carburetor plate with a tongue that covers the manifold port. It may not be be a spacer at all. I could potentially source a 60’s intake with the narrower studs and rat tail file the base plate on my YF. The other idea David and I have talked about is fabricating an aluminum or phenolic plastic spacer to cleanly delete the EGR piece while maintaining the height for better fuel atomization and keeping the carb fuel cooler. The fact is, my blocked off EGR works just fine. This is 100% cosmetic and my primary interest in doing it is to make it look stock and original in case I ever need it to pass any emissions inspections. I hope I never do, but if my employer goes under I will likely end up moving to Phoenix, and they test in Pima and Pinal counties 😔

Hey Jon,

Came across this in my searches today, and knowing you were looking for the EGR block off plate, this thing caught my eye. Isn't there supposed to be a hole in the manifold where the EGR port would be in the EGR spacer? (I know nothing of the 300/6, so this may be a dumb question). I've seen the block-off plate, but it looks like the little tab covers a hole that in this manifold is not present?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-engine-parts/windsor-area-on/1980s-300-ford-inline-6-intake-manifold/1387026322?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Okay, the engine was missing in the junkyard, so that will remain a mystery. The EGR spacer on the American trucks is separate from the carb, but now that you mention it the Canadian version looks like it may have a unique lower carburetor plate with a tongue that covers the manifold port. It may not be be a spacer at all. I could potentially source a 60’s intake with the narrower studs and rat tail file the base plate on my YF. The other idea David and I have talked about is fabricating an aluminum or phenolic plastic spacer to cleanly delete the EGR piece while maintaining the height for better fuel atomization and keeping the carb fuel cooler. The fact is, my blocked off EGR works just fine. This is 100% cosmetic and my primary interest in doing it is to make it look stock and original in case I ever need it to pass any emissions inspections. I hope I never do, but if my employer goes under I will likely end up moving to Phoenix, and they test in Pima and Pinal counties 😔

Hey Jon,

Came across this in my searches today, and knowing you were looking for the EGR block off plate, this thing caught my eye. Isn't there supposed to be a hole in the manifold where the EGR port would be in the EGR spacer? (I know nothing of the 300/6, so this may be a dumb question). I've seen the block-off plate, but it looks like the little tab covers a hole that in this manifold is not present?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-engine-parts/windsor-area-on/1980s-300-ford-inline-6-intake-manifold/1387026322?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

That looks like a pre-EGR intake as it does not have the hole for the gases like my 81 does.

20170128_103552.jpg.c44b55133b5c8d2291b862b8d82ff9b8.jpg

Now the only thing to worry about is the carb bolt spacing.

I hear some of the early six intakes the carb bolt spacing is different and my be the case with that pre- EGR intake.

Dave ----

That looks like a pre-EGR intake as it does not have the hole for the gases like my 81 does.

Now the only thing to worry about is the carb bolt spacing.

I hear some of the early six intakes the carb bolt spacing is different and my be the case with that pre- EGR intake.

Dave ----

Dave, my 240 straight six had the pre-EGR intake with the closer stud spacing for the carb. I ended up running a Carter YFA on it by doing the rat-tail file mod to the base plate. It did not have a spacer. The carb sat right on the intake with only a gasket in between.

The spacer that David recently mailed to me is an EGR delete piece that has a tongue to block the EGR port in the manifold. I have not put it on yet, but I am sure it has the wider stud spacing. I will document it when it happens...

53B88809-BE75-4AA2-95C4-8C316FFE6031.thumb.jpeg.e9f5be895c23c48843f862e343e715f8.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

The spacer that David recently mailed to me is an EGR delete piece that has a tongue to block the EGR port in the manifold. I have not put it on yet, but I am sure it has the wider stud spacing. I will document it when it happens...

Jon,

I did finally come across one of these plates today...at least I think it is. This was under the hood of a 1985 F150. You can see that it has the EGR port "ear" on the front, but it looks like it also has a hose barb on the back? Am I seeing this right?

In any case, it looks like you no longer need one, but if you do let me know and I can grab this one for you. It would have to be cleaned up a bit, but it wouldn't cost anything.

IMG_5737.jpg.b0118a11028cba2dbcd964372d9fc0fa.jpg

Jon,

I did finally come across one of these plates today...at least I think it is. This was under the hood of a 1985 F150. You can see that it has the EGR port "ear" on the front, but it looks like it also has a hose barb on the back? Am I seeing this right?

In any case, it looks like you no longer need one, but if you do let me know and I can grab this one for you. It would have to be cleaned up a bit, but it wouldn't cost anything.

Cory, if you can get this for very little cost I would say please, yes, get it. David did find me one, but he may want one for himself... or if not I wouldn’t mind having another “just in case”. Thank you for keeping an eye out for me 🙂

Cory, if you can get this for very little cost I would say please, yes, get it. David did find me one, but he may want one for himself... or if not I wouldn’t mind having another “just in case”. Thank you for keeping an eye out for me 🙂

Ok, I'll grab it next time I'm passing through that area. He'd give it to me for the cost of a coffee, I'd just have to remove it myself is all. That's as close to free as it gets around here. The truck isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so it will still be there.:nabble_smiley_pirate: