Bullnose Forums

Rear spring replacement resources?

regardless of which direction you chose to take. it is best to replace in pairs. the same exact spring new on one side with an aged one on the opposite side will NOT be the same. and bushings will all be new also. remember to do final torque after all is installed and sitting on the ground. hopefully with a few hundred lbs of weight sitting in the bed.

Ah, great tip on re-tourqueing.

Ok, I agree, do in pairs ideally.

For me, ideally is eventually.

I haven't driven it more than 30 miles since I got it.

In the 2 or so months that I have had it I:

Put a new carb on, (didn't have one), new distributor (HEI conversion), STARTED it! Recovered the seats, replaced a regulator, replaced rear drums, painted a junkyard dash pad, replaced the door felts and panels, new tires, vac lines, new kick-down, modified the EGR spacer plate to accomodate the rear exiting vac line on the Holley, . . . (add 10 etc's)

And I still havent fixed the spring, and STILL need a rear hitch.

I will spare you with the to-do list.

I AM RUNNING OUT OF MONEY!!!

So I will order one correct spring tomorrow, get the truck inspected, then unfold the to-do list again. On it, will be the other spring.

Put a new carb on, (didn't have one), new distributor (HEI conversion), STARTED it! Recovered the seats, replaced a regulator, replaced rear drums, painted a junkyard dash pad, replaced the door felts and panels, new tires, vac lines, new kick-down, modified the EGR spacer plate to accomodate the rear exiting vac line on the Holley, . . . (add 10 etc's)

So I will order one correct spring tomorrow, get the truck inspected, then unfold the to-do list again. On it, will be the other spring.

Eaton Detroit Spring will build what ever you want to your specs. Or, they can supply the entire spring packs with OE like replacements. They answer the phone and respond to emails.

one can only do what one can do. I think you have done a lot. resurrecting a forty year old truck to become a daily driver or show piece is no small task. whatever brand you chose. there seem to be Gremlins that show up one piece at a time. "Peeling the onion" Gary says. money is not unlimited for all of us.

money is not unlimited for all of us.

Point taken. I was just trying to provide the OP an alternative source.

I went thru a bunch of suspension modification stuff with my '96 Explorer trying to make it more off-road worthy. I ended up using an F-150 main leaf with the remainder of the original leaf pack. That was a real cheap way to get about 4" of lift without resorting to shackles. The owner of Eaton Detroit was very kind to trade emails and phone calls with me. He understood what I was trying to do and was willing to build Explorer leaf packs with F-150 main leaves, if anyone wanted them. I do not recall the cost of the packs though ($250/each?). That was quite a while ago.

There's nothing worse than trying to cobble something together only to discover that what you thought was the 'magic sauce' was just a bunch of time & money tossed out the window. We've all been there. Sometimes you end up saving money by going with the expert's engineered solution even though it seems pricey at the time. Just trying to help out.

money is not unlimited for all of us.

Point taken. I was just trying to provide the OP an alternative source.

I went thru a bunch of suspension modification stuff with my '96 Explorer trying to make it more off-road worthy. I ended up using an F-150 main leaf with the remainder of the original leaf pack. That was a real cheap way to get about 4" of lift without resorting to shackles. The owner of Eaton Detroit was very kind to trade emails and phone calls with me. He understood what I was trying to do and was willing to build Explorer leaf packs with F-150 main leaves, if anyone wanted them. I do not recall the cost of the packs though ($250/each?). That was quite a while ago.

There's nothing worse than trying to cobble something together only to discover that what you thought was the 'magic sauce' was just a bunch of time & money tossed out the window. We've all been there. Sometimes you end up saving money by going with the expert's engineered solution even though it seems pricey at the time. Just trying to help out.

I smartened up and ordered the pair of springs. I just couldn't bear to half-ass it.

The 1650# ones looked right.

Thanks guys.