Bullnose Forums

Elusive Firewall Oval Rubber Plug

I recently changed my 86 inline 300 to an HEI distributor since the original feedback carb was already gone when I got the truck. Boy, having a distributor that advances sure made a difference. But what I haven't done yet is remove all the unnecessary wiring. There appears to be a lot that can be removed, but it seemed like intermixed in there was stuff that needed to stay. Are you saying that on an 86 truck, if I've switched to a regular carb and DSII or HEI, all of the wiring out of that oval hole can just be removed from under the hood?

As far as I know, yes sir...but I haven't done it personally so don't take my word as 100% gospel. My trucks have all had regular factory carbs and DSII ignitions.

Interesting… I did not know this plug was a desirable item. I will have to double check when I get home but I think my crew cab has this. Perhaps junkyard 6.9 IDI’s might be a source for these… Non-catalyst 460 and 351 HO also???

Hey Jon. The blank plugs may also be there on the IDI and 460 trucks...I'm not sure. I'm only familiar with the 300 and 302 trucks really, and the plugs were definitely present on them from 83 or 84 up to 86 (with regular carbs and DSII ignitions). The topic pops up every now and then as the plugs seem to be a bit hard to find for the guys doing swaps and removing that main ECM harness from the engine bay.

Rembrant,

I will take that plug if you still have it.

Email sent...I think?...It keeps locking up when I hit "send"...

No emails recieved from you. The same happens to me. Can someone on the forum send me your email address and I can respond directly to you?

No emails recieved from you. The same happens to me. Can someone on the forum send me your email address and I can respond directly to you?

I just sent it again, and it looks like it worked?...I received the email also.

Interesting… I did not know this plug was a desirable item. I will have to double check when I get home but I think my crew cab has this. Perhaps junkyard 6.9 IDI’s might be a source for these… Non-catalyst 460 and 351 HO also???

Hey Jon. The blank plugs may also be there on the IDI and 460 trucks...I'm not sure. I'm only familiar with the 300 and 302 trucks really, and the plugs were definitely present on them from 83 or 84 up to 86 (with regular carbs and DSII ignitions). The topic pops up every now and then as the plugs seem to be a bit hard to find for the guys doing swaps and removing that main ECM harness from the engine bay.

IMG_9531.jpeg.81fb8b74bddc3fdec5e48b91cd49032d.jpeg

1986 IDI has the plug…