Bullnose Forums

InVision Joining Process - Input Needed!

I'm kinda surprised to say it, but I stand in favor of keeping the introduce yourself first policy.

The more I've thought about it, I believe that may be why this site seems (to me) to have higher quality posts and conversations than others I've visited.

While I don't have any issue with people jumping in to ask a question and leave, my worry is more about people jumping in to ANSWER question and then leave.

This site has been invaluable to us in working on our truck, and while some of that is the great documentation, it has been just as much finding people's past threads about their trucks, and the shared knowledge of you guys.

I have come to realize that I trust the consensus we get here more than any other sites, because the users here are invested, and it's not overrun with bad answers.

I do think having a minor hoop to jump through to show that you are serious before posting to the main forums is a good thing because it makes you stop and consider whether you actually want to be a part of the community or if you're just throwing your two cents in on some random forum.

Here is my humble opinion:

How many times do we strongly suggest to new members for completing a signature, with some details about their truck?

Too often, I think...

For what I saw while testing, this step (complete your profile) is NOT about introducing the member, his story, projets and so on.

This "introduce yourself" step IS in fact the signature step.

I suggest that we modify the welcoming text of this window, kind of «It will be much easier to help you if you put here a short description of your truck specifications (model, year, engine, tranny, and whatever info you think is important).

If needed, you can complete and/or modify these info later in your profile»

So, «Introduce yourself» is somehow confusing.

Just clarify the title and goal of this window and keep this step (which is really easy and works seamlessly).

Here is my humble opinion:

How many times do we strongly suggest to new members for completing a signature, with some details about their truck?

Too often, I think...

For what I saw while testing, this step (complete your profile) is NOT about introducing the member, his story, projets and so on.

This "introduce yourself" step IS in fact the signature step.

I suggest that we modify the welcoming text of this window, kind of «It will be much easier to help you if you put here a short description of your truck specifications (model, year, engine, tranny, and whatever info you think is important).

If needed, you can complete and/or modify these info later in your profile»

So, «Introduce yourself» is somehow confusing.

Just clarify the title and goal of this window and keep this step (which is really easy and works seamlessly).

OK guys, the window is already simplified, almost as I just suggested:

IMG_1443.jpeg.586a4dfdf2abe23ded831d91faba1758.jpeg

So, forget my precedent post and just replace by:

«I vote for keeping the signature step».

OK guys, the window is already simplified, almost as I just suggested:

So, forget my precedent post and just replace by:

«I vote for keeping the signature step».

Ok, I'm getting the feeling that the majority like the more involved joining process. So let's give it a try - it doesn't have to be permanent.

However, it is confusing to me to have the signature line say "Enter information about yourself and your truck..." and then the next step to be to create an introduction post. I like Jeff's suggestion of it reading more like "It will be much easier to help you if you create a signature here which contains a short description of your truck specifications (model, year, engine, tranny, and whatever info you think is important). If needed, you can complete and/or modify these info later in your profile."

Chris - Can you make those changes? Let's give this a try.

Ok, I'm getting the feeling that the majority like the more involved joining process. So let's give it a try - it doesn't have to be permanent.

However, it is confusing to me to have the signature line say "Enter information about yourself and your truck..." and then the next step to be to create an introduction post. I like Jeff's suggestion of it reading more like "It will be much easier to help you if you create a signature here which contains a short description of your truck specifications (model, year, engine, tranny, and whatever info you think is important). If needed, you can complete and/or modify these info later in your profile."

Chris - Can you make those changes? Let's give this a try.

Ok y'all, we are making progress. Here's where we are for the joining process:

When you sign up you'll see this screen. It has our guidelines on it nicely, but it doesn't quite capture what will happen next. I'm wondering if instead of "You will need to first..." it could say something like "Once you click Create My Account there will be two more steps. First you will be asked to create a signature to tell us about your truck so we can more accurately answer your questions. Second you will be asked to introduce yourself to our community. Once you've done both of those things you may post on the forum."

Chris - Is that something you can do when you get back? And could that verbiage be either bold or larger font so it is more easily seen?

Pass_5_-_Signup_@_90.thumb.jpg.ffeb35f1af431745f6ede9d733f05fd6.jpg

And here's what the person signing up sees as soon as they click Create My Account - the signature step. I modified the verbiage so we aren't asking about the person but the truck(s). However, I now realize that many of us put our actual name in the signature, so should that verbiage change? If so, what to?

Pass_5_-_Signature_Verbiage.thumb.jpg.f4d2b6f66beefd35c8a8011c8721c72b.jpg

Last, here's what the person sees after creating their signature - the NMSH folder with instructions to create an introduction. Are those instructions clear enough?

Pass_5_-_NMSH.thumb.jpg.eb96c104b8f1afd31c2761811a07690c.jpg

Ok y'all, we are making progress. Here's where we are for the joining process:

When you sign up you'll see this screen. It has our guidelines on it nicely, but it doesn't quite capture what will happen next. I'm wondering if instead of "You will need to first..." it could say something like "Once you click Create My Account there will be two more steps. First you will be asked to create a signature to tell us about your truck so we can more accurately answer your questions. Second you will be asked to introduce yourself to our community. Once you've done both of those things you may post on the forum."

Chris - Is that something you can do when you get back? And could that verbiage be either bold or larger font so it is more easily seen?

And here's what the person signing up sees as soon as they click Create My Account - the signature step. I modified the verbiage so we aren't asking about the person but the truck(s). However, I now realize that many of us put our actual name in the signature, so should that verbiage change? If so, what to?

Last, here's what the person sees after creating their signature - the NMSH folder with instructions to create an introduction. Are those instructions clear enough?

I'd say "the introduction may include whatever you'd like to say about yourself, your truck, or how you happened to aquire it"

About the signature, after description of the truck I'd say "and how you'd like to be known conversationally on the forum"

Somebody might rather be referred to as Fuzzface2, rather than Dave or Cory rather than Rembrandt.

Whenever I respond to someone, I try to use an actual name, if it appears in their sig.

I get confused by all the variants of 86 f150xlt, 1986 F-150 XLT, XLT F150 etc...

I'd say "the introduction may include whatever you'd like to say about yourself, your truck, or how you happened to aquire it"

About the signature, after description of the truck I'd say "and how you'd like to be known conversationally on the forum"

Somebody might rather be referred to as Fuzzface2, rather than Dave or Cory rather than Rembrandt.

Whenever I respond to someone, I try to use an actual name, if it appears in their sig.

I get confused by all the variants of 86 f150xlt, 1986 F-150 XLT, XLT F150 etc...

Good upgrades, Jim. Thanks. :nabble_smiley_good: