Bullnose Forums

1980 Exhaust Kit?

I own one of those little green lunchbox welders. :nabble_waving_orig:

I bought it to weld a guard rail from the basket of a 65' boom lift. (Can't use my MIG up there in the wind and the stick welder draws too much for the receptacle in the basket)

It's a handy little thing! :nabble_smiley_good:

On welding, I had one of those flux welders, and got so tired of it, I splurged for a Lincoln Mig/tig/rod welder so I could use gas for mig instead of flux, and man does the gas make a HUGE difference.

On welding, I had one of those flux welders, and got so tired of it, I splurged for a Lincoln Mig/tig/rod welder so I could use gas for mig instead of flux, and man does the gas make a HUGE difference.

Yep.

No spatter. No soot/flux to brush off of tacks or between passes.

The only problem is working outside where the slightest breeze will blow away your shielding.

Yes that capability would be nice. I did burn through a couple of times on the muffler with thin metal and had this big hole I had to try to fill up. I got everything filled up though. No exhaust leaks anywhere. It is functional, and definitely not as ugly as the first ones I did a few years ago on a 2007 Toyota Solara for a friend. Those V6s had this downpipe with a flex section that rotted 100% of the time even down south here and would sound like an angry bumble bee.

Yes that capability would be nice. I did burn through a couple of times on the muffler with thin metal and had this big hole I had to try to fill up. I got everything filled up though. No exhaust leaks anywhere. It is functional, and definitely not as ugly as the first ones I did a few years ago on a 2007 Toyota Solara for a friend. Those V6s had this downpipe with a flex section that rotted 100% of the time even down south here and would sound like an angry bumble bee.

I understand exactly.

My brother's V-6 Altima, I've done twice.

Told him there will not be a third time, because there's nothing left to weld to.

that sounds like a very interesting build

Mat, unfortunately, when my father sold the shop out from under me, I had to move the car. I had found a "friend" who owned a shop in Hampton (city adjacent to Newport News) who had a fenced storage lot. I went down a month later to check the antifreeze strength, he, the storage lot and the car were gone.

I never found it, although someone later told me he saw a 1958 Country Squire in a junkyard outside Langley AFB's West gate, he said it appeared to have some interior modifications and had several rolls of the replacement wood grain inside. By the time I heard this, the yard had been closed to allow LAFB's runway to be extended.

It would have been a fun ride, playing around in our parking lot, I found it would go about 1 car length and then light up the rear tires. Normal late 50s 430 idle speed was 450 rpm, that engine would stumble on throttle opening below 650 rpm. Bucket lifters for reduced weight, used FE adjustable rockers on the MEL shafts, ported and polished 1958 heads (largest valves), pop-up pistons for probably 11:1 compression. Oil pan had a pair of side extensions with trap door baffles. When I got the engine it came with headers that must have been for a 58 or 59 T-bird and an Algon injection system.