Bullnose Forums

Time for new Tires, looking for suggestions

Current size on truck is 265-75 x 16 Maxxis Buckshots. Came on the truck, and are not all that impressive. They look sharp, but I prefer to buy a little more road tire. Main goal is to keep a nice aggressive look but with a lot less road noise than these mud terrains.....

Its been awhile since ive had BFG AT TKO's on anything. Looks like they are up to version KO3 now. Anyone have these? Im getting old and want lower noise so I can listen to Merle and Cash on the radio....and have conversations.

Im not against getting a dedicated road tire. Another concern is the load rating. I will be towing occasionally grain, and farm equipment. Not too much or too heavy, but I don't want to get too squirrelly.

Im sort of leaning to the BFG AT TKO at the moment, but looking for other AT's that might fit the bill.

Hello, Ray! Long time no see. Might you be visiting this area on Sept 14th? That's when the show is.

As for tires, I'm running 33” Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s on Big Blue. Took some terribly noisy Cooper Discoverers off and love these. MUCH quieter.

I did a lot of research and it got down to the KO2's vs the AT3W's and I chose the latter due to wet road rating and several reviews. The KO3's might been better on wet roads. Don't know.

Ray, I bought Firestones last time for Darth, since he's a dually, the tires are narrower. I have LT215/85R 16s LRE which are rated single 2680 lbs at 80 psi, dual 2470 at 80 psi. They were quite reasonable as the tire store has the contract for the school busses. They are pretty quiet, but I am not sure I would go mudding with them.

Hello, Ray! Long time no see. Might you be visiting this area on Sept 14th? That's when the show is.

As for tires, I'm running 33” Falken Wildpeak AT3W’s on Big Blue. Took some terribly noisy Cooper Discoverers off and love these. MUCH quieter.

I did a lot of research and it got down to the KO2's vs the AT3W's and I chose the latter due to wet road rating and several reviews. The KO3's might been better on wet roads. Don't know.

No Sir, won't be in OK until Thanksgiving.

I was considering the Discoverers, glad you mentioned they are noisy.

I'll look at those Falkens. I've never bought that brand before.

i have the cooper discoverers on my expedition and they are great. traction wet or dry. quiet! these are the same size as you have, I think. I replaced the bfg k02 withe these. best decision. the noise was awful before. this is a road car that we travel in, and l want conversation or a clear radio.

now I have the Falken wild peak at3 on my f150. 32x11.2x15. best all-around in my experience. traction. ride and noise. second set on that truck

I've had lots of BFG ATs, with the last set being KO2s. And that will be the last set (at least for my truck). A lot of people really like them, and maybe you would too. But I never did.

The tires "tracked" on the pavement from day 1 until I replaced them. Rather than just go where they were pointed they seemed to try to turn back and forth.

And while they weren't loud, they weren't quiet either. There was a relatively low volume whine that just got sort of annoying. Not that you couldn't hear the radio over it, just that you could hear it.

I replaced them with a set of Michelin Agilis Cross-Climate. Very definitely not an all-terrain tire, but it does fine on the dirt that I drive on and I'me very happy with them on the road.

I don't know anything about the KO3s. Maybe they'd be a lot better. But I'm sticking with more of an all-season tire rather than an all-terrain on my trucks from now on I think.

I've had lots of BFG ATs, with the last set being KO2s. And that will be the last set (at least for my truck). A lot of people really like them, and maybe you would too. But I never did.

The tires "tracked" on the pavement from day 1 until I replaced them. Rather than just go where they were pointed they seemed to try to turn back and forth.

And while they weren't loud, they weren't quiet either. There was a relatively low volume whine that just got sort of annoying. Not that you couldn't hear the radio over it, just that you could hear it.

I replaced them with a set of Michelin Agilis Cross-Climate. Very definitely not an all-terrain tire, but it does fine on the dirt that I drive on and I'me very happy with them on the road.

I don't know anything about the KO3s. Maybe they'd be a lot better. But I'm sticking with more of an all-season tire rather than an all-terrain on my trucks from now on I think.

Keep in mind that Cooper "Discoverer" is a whole line of tires.

There's LT (light truck), HT (highway traction), AT (all terrain), ST (snow traction), RT (road & trail), MT (mud terrain), SRX, STT, etc...

https://www.coopertire.com/en_US/tires/by-vehicle/truck-pickup

i have the cooper discoverers on my expedition and they are great. traction wet or dry. quiet! these are the same size as you have, I think. I replaced the bfg k02 withe these. best decision. the noise was awful before. this is a road car that we travel in, and l want conversation or a clear radio.

now I have the Falken wild peak at3 on my f150. 32x11.2x15. best all-around in my experience. traction. ride and noise. second set on that truck

Which Discoverer did you get?

I also like the tall skinny tire look, over the fat tire look. Anyone ever ran a 255-85 x 16"? This morning I am leaning towards a taller/skinny "pizza cutter" look. Someone somewhere at sometime told me that term "pizza cutter" referred to the tall skinny offroad tires we used to see on a lot of the classic trucks. I like that look, but wondering if I can achieve that in a more freeway friendly tire. I'm thinking I want a tire that balances well, and is quiet. 99.8% of the time, this truck sees pavement. I have a 100 yard long gravel driveway, and occasionally turn around a trailer in the yard.

If anyone has any photos of a tall skinny "pizza cutter" looking tire on a bricknose or bullnose, would be appreciated.

I also like the tall skinny tire look, over the fat tire look. Anyone ever ran a 255-85 x 16"? This morning I am leaning towards a taller/skinny "pizza cutter" look. Someone somewhere at sometime told me that term "pizza cutter" referred to the tall skinny offroad tires we used to see on a lot of the classic trucks. I like that look, but wondering if I can achieve that in a more freeway friendly tire. I'm thinking I want a tire that balances well, and is quiet. 99.8% of the time, this truck sees pavement. I have a 100 yard long gravel driveway, and occasionally turn around a trailer in the yard.

If anyone has any photos of a tall skinny "pizza cutter" looking tire on a bricknose or bullnose, would be appreciated.

Well, looks like 255-85X16 is a rare size that is a lot more expensive than the more common sizes. $50+ more a tire.

There are a lot more 245-75X16 and 265-75x16 options available.

Probably just sticking to the 265-75x16, and getting a highway tire.

I have cooper endurance on the tahoe that has been amazing for being quiet, but I cannot get those in the 16" rim size.

So many options....