Bullnose Forums

Greetings from NW, Montana.

Hey Gents, Just picked up an 84' F-150 XL in 4WD with the 300ci in it. I've been scouring the documentation here, thank ya'll so much for compiling it. I've been able to get so many of my questions about what was expected from this thing from the factory.

I'm up near Kalispell, MT so a bit up/out there. While I have a number of years under my belt maintaining older rigs, (my DD is a 20 y/o Subaru), this will be my first non EFI, and my first domestic so I am sure that I'll have plenty of newbie questions going forward.

An example of which: I'm used to vehicle brands preferring specific brands for parts; NGK for sparkplugs, Denso for o2 Sensors, etc.. Is that the case with these rigs?

When It's light out I'll get some pictures up, but I was incredibly surprised with the find on my part, was in next to immaculate shape for the area I'm in and just how badly vehicles are eaten up, abused and wrecked.

Looking forward to fixing the leaks, dealing with the slop, and swapping out the 30+ y/o white walls it came with (Not driving it far/at all till then).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum! :nabble_waving_orig:

That's beautiful country!

Gary will ask if you'd like to be on our member map....

The 300 is an incredibly smooth and reliable engine.

Do you have any idea how many miles are on it?

I prefer NGK V-power for plugs but don't think there's any O2 sensor on an '84 4.9l (I'll admit my ignorance regarding the I-6)

Would definitely recommend Motorcraft oil filters and ignition modules.

The single barrel YFA carb is about the simplest thing going.

The basic design was found on Jeeps and other vehicles, so should be a good introduction to carburetion for you.

I prefer NGK V-power for plugs but don't think there's any O2 sensor on an '84 4.9l (I'll admit my ignorance regarding the I-6)

The basic design was found on Jeeps and other vehicles, so should be a good introduction to carburetion for you.

Yes, welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Big Sky Country! It is beautiful up there. And COLD in the winter.

Jim is right, would you like to be on our map? You can see it at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu. We can add you at Kalispell 'cause we don't put in actual addresses.

Yes, welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Big Sky Country! It is beautiful up there. And COLD in the winter.

Jim is right, would you like to be on our map? You can see it at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu. We can add you at Kalispell 'cause we don't put in actual addresses.

Sure thing, I'd like to take part. And Kalispell is the main hub so that's fine by me.

Per the Odometer, it's about 98.8k, but I've nothing to back that up or how many times it Might have rolled over. It was used privately before the dealer bought it so the only time it was registered/mileage checked was about a year ago.

It might be near that, as the interior is reletively clean, the pedals aren't worn like most others I've seen when they hit 200-300k. And it's hard to rack up too many miles when you're "not supposed" to take it on public roads.

Thanks for the brand recommendations, your guess is as good as mine for if O2s exist. I haven't done a deep dive yet beyond a surface level PPI.

Per the Odometer, it's about 98.8k, but I've nothing to back that up or how many times it Might have rolled over. It was used privately before the dealer bought it so the only time it was registered/mileage checked was about a year ago.

It might be near that, as the interior is reletively clean, the pedals aren't worn like most others I've seen when they hit 200-300k. And it's hard to rack up too many miles when you're "not supposed" to take it on public roads.

Thanks for the brand recommendations, your guess is as good as mine for if O2s exist. I haven't done a deep dive yet beyond a surface level PPI.

I once bought a '60's Dodge Powerwagon masons dump that had been owned by a cemetery.

It was never titled or registered.

With 100k that 300 should be in fine shape! :nabble_smiley_cool: