Bullnose Forums

New Registration Process - Need Your Input

As we move to Invision we have a lot of options and some limitations - one of which is in the registration process.

The registration process several of us agreed some time ago was for a newbie's first post to be limited to the New Members Start Here folder. That was mainly because we had the guidelines posted there and wanted them to see them. (But there was also the thought in some minds that we are a community, not a place where you pop in to post one question and then pop out, and if people aren't willing to tell us about themselves then maybe they aren't looking for a community.)

On the guidelines, in Invision we can require them to tick the box that says they agree to the guidelines.

But they actually won't have seen them unless they click the link next to the box. Basically they'll do exactly like we all do and tick the box because we know we will agree in order to get in. :nabble_smiley_uh:

On the process, I think I can set it up where new members will get a message that tells them that they won't be able to post anywhere but in the NMSH folder and I think I can give them a link directly to it. But I also think that all of us will get that message when we next log in, although we won't be limited as to where we post.

I'm going to give it a try and see how it works, but I'll need someone to use a new email address to register and see what happens. Please.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an update, what I did put everyone back to New Member. So I logged in with another account of mine that showed to my admin account as a New Member, got the pop up to agree to the guidelines, and then was shown the main screen. Sure enough, looking with my admin account the other account had been magically promoted to Regular Member.

Then, with the non-admin account, I went to the main screen and saw:

Next_Step_-_New_Member_Registration_Step_1.thumb.jpg.3e8404e52a05b32aeebfe03dacf21663.jpg

And clicking Complete My Profile I saw what is below. But when I clicked Dismiss in the above screen or Skip/Next it went away. Doesn't seem to have very many teeth in it. :nabble_anim_confused:

Complete_My_Profile.thumb.jpg.01fdf8abbc516a1e8328aacff1950bb3.jpg

As an update, what I did put everyone back to New Member. So I logged in with another account of mine that showed to my admin account as a New Member, got the pop up to agree to the guidelines, and then was shown the main screen. Sure enough, looking with my admin account the other account had been magically promoted to Regular Member.

And clicking Complete My Profile I saw what is below. But when I clicked Dismiss in the above screen or Skip/Next it went away. Doesn't seem to have very many teeth in it. :nabble_anim_confused:

Maybe it's a matter of making the dismiss option disappear?

"Dismiss" is maybe the same as "not now" or "later", as we sometimes see in other membership process.

It doesn't block you, since you can complete your account profile later.

Somewhat philosophical.... but also generational

How serious are you about introductions ?....... I don't think I have seen any forum online where this was necessary. While I agree with you that, most youngsters really don't have the time to be part of a different communities... I think we are going to get the ones that are passionate to stay naturally.

I have been part of a couple of Honda, GM forums where I joined and responded to posts that didn't have a solution.. posted a write up of what 'worked for me' and left for good :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I have known about this forum for a few years.. in fact from before 2020, but never joined it as I was only reading and learning from it. I didn't have much if not anything to contribute beyond the vast expertise here already... but decide to join and more importantly STAY because of the sense of community...

I guess I have answered my own question, that introductions are important.... :nabble_smiley_wink:

My only fear is that this new member process will interfere with getting new members after we migrate to invision... because new members might not know how to work the 'system' and just give up... how about migrating and after 6 months or so we figure out how to work this out ? I would rather error on the side of dealing with lack of introductions than not getting new members because the process was too difficult....

Somewhat philosophical.... but also generational

How serious are you about introductions ?....... I don't think I have seen any forum online where this was necessary. While I agree with you that, most youngsters really don't have the time to be part of a different communities... I think we are going to get the ones that are passionate to stay naturally.

I have been part of a couple of Honda, GM forums where I joined and responded to posts that didn't have a solution.. posted a write up of what 'worked for me' and left for good :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I have known about this forum for a few years.. in fact from before 2020, but never joined it as I was only reading and learning from it. I didn't have much if not anything to contribute beyond the vast expertise here already... but decide to join and more importantly STAY because of the sense of community...

I guess I have answered my own question, that introductions are important.... :nabble_smiley_wink:

My only fear is that this new member process will interfere with getting new members after we migrate to invision... because new members might not know how to work the 'system' and just give up... how about migrating and after 6 months or so we figure out how to work this out ? I would rather error on the side of dealing with lack of introductions than not getting new members because the process was too difficult....

If saying "Hi. I'm Jack, from Salt Lake. I've read the rules and I own a 1983 F-150 with a bad steering column"

is too difficult, perhaps we're better off without Jack?

If saying "Hi. I'm Jack, from Salt Lake. I've read the rules and I own a 1983 F-150 with a bad steering column"

Jim, I agree! people are afraid of community these days.

I'm not worried about the type of people not wanting to introduce themselves.. we definitely don't need 'Jack' from Salt Lake who won't take the time to introduce himself because he just wants his quick fix.. but if it was simply a case of not knowing where to go that would be a shame....

If the process is pretty seamless thats great...

I'm not worried about the type of people not wanting to introduce themselves.. we definitely don't need 'Jack' from Salt Lake who won't take the time to introduce himself because he just wants his quick fix.. but if it was simply a case of not knowing where to go that would be a shame....

If the process is pretty seamless thats great...

Where to go??? :nabble_anim_confused:

You arrived after the Nabble owner borked our joining process, but basically new members didn't need the sad & apologetic boilerplate that I have to send .

They were sandboxed to the NMSH until they made a post, and were immediately free to post after that.

Gary wants everyone to understand that this is a respectful community.

Only one person (that I know of) has been shown the door...

Where to go??? :nabble_anim_confused:

You arrived after the Nabble owner borked our joining process, but basically new members didn't need the sad & apologetic boilerplate that I have to send .

They were sandboxed to the NMSH until they made a post, and were immediately free to post after that.

Gary wants everyone to understand that this is a respectful community.

Only one person (that I know of) has been shown the door...

I have the same thoughts as y'all. If the process doesn't work well will we run them off? But if they can't bother to say hello do we really want them? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I think Jeff is going to try the process today and we should know how well it goes. And we can modify it as we go forward.

If it works as it should they'll get a popup that says:

You will be sent an email in order to prove you have control of the one you used to register.  Once you've done that you will become a New Member and will be given the ability to start a new topic in the New Members Start Here folder in order to introduce yourself.  Once you have created your first post you will be automatically promoted to Member and will have the ability to post elsewhere.

We need to know not only if it works but where in the process it appears. If it is after the email confirmation step then that bit needs to be taken out. And if it is after they've ticked the I Agree box for the guidelines then we could add the guidelines to this popup and say "You just agreed to these guidelines."