Bullnose Forums

It my 83 F150 4 X 4 lifted?

Im trying to determine if I have been lifted

With the spacers between the perches and springs, or if it is stock.

Maybe the spacers are a 4 X 4 item.

My diagrams from the book is unclear, sinde the f100/150 diagram doesn't specify 4 x 4, but the F250 one does.

What is your call on this?

I am trying to figure out why my ride is so damn rough.

Rancho RS5000 shocks.

Thanks.20240823_180031.jpg.35214cde143a51d8b315cea1aa221401.jpg

20240824_233704.jpg.19c0c6ebed1da8cc13d46a56bf0d054c.jpg

20240824_233709.jpg.9f02e646c89c8108c38c819495ec009b.jpg

definitely stock. the added lift spacers from an aftermarket company will usually not have an extension horn reaching in to be a bump stop. factory 4x4 has these and they are generally 2" tall/thick.

typically, the f150 2wd will have a 2" lower ride height and a little more rake and the 4wd will sit more level. this has more to do with the twin traction beam as opposed to twin "I" beam front suspension. the spring seat position is much lower with the twin "I" beam. this added height in the front due to the twin traction beam would have given the truck a "forward up" ride (Carolina squat) so the factory had to space the rear the same amount. and the bump stop needed to be dealt with also. that is why it is radiused as to simulate the axle tube.

definitely stock. the added lift spacers from an aftermarket company will usually not have an extension horn reaching in to be a bump stop. factory 4x4 has these and they are generally 2" tall/thick.

typically, the f150 2wd will have a 2" lower ride height and a little more rake and the 4wd will sit more level. this has more to do with the twin traction beam as opposed to twin "I" beam front suspension. the spring seat position is much lower with the twin "I" beam. this added height in the front due to the twin traction beam would have given the truck a "forward up" ride (Carolina squat) so the factory had to space the rear the same amount. and the bump stop needed to be dealt with also. that is why it is radiused as to simulate the axle tube.

oh yeah, it rides rough because it's a truck. the spring rates are gauged for a cargo load put 500lbs in the bed and you will see. weight forward in the bed is best. that makes all four springs share the load. tail loading it puts all on the rear springs and less on the front making the front rougher and steering lighter. lighter due to less drag (traction and braking)

oh yeah, it rides rough because it's a truck. the spring rates are gauged for a cargo load put 500lbs in the bed and you will see. weight forward in the bed is best. that makes all four springs share the load. tail loading it puts all on the rear springs and less on the front making the front rougher and steering lighter. lighter due to less drag (traction and braking)

Big Blue 2WD is a 1 ton and riding empty (most of the time) is no fun at all. It is ROUGH!

Big Blue 2WD is a 1 ton and riding empty (most of the time) is no fun at all. It is ROUGH!

Darth is a 1 ton dually, yes he is rough on a bumpy road, crossing railroad tracks etc. On a decent highway, you best watch your speed, I ran down some backroads in Gloucester County VA in Darth with my older son following me in a Pinto station wagon, not only could I out accelerate him, I could out corner him. After that I understood why the large cars from the 30s like Duesenbergs had a reputation for good handling as other than the twin I-beam front axle and dual rear tires, a big pickup truck isn't much different in design.

'Lil Red, is a 250 HD and I can't tell you how much better the ride is with a ton or more in the back.

Even the tool box (about 950#) helps a lot.

'Lil Red, is a 250 HD and I can't tell you how much better the ride is with a ton or more in the back.

Even the tool box (about 950#) helps a lot.

Very good point about the truck being made to be a truck more than a transport vehicle.

Makes perfect sense that the spring rate has to accommodate what it's made to do.

My 84 F250 HD 2wd rode like a bucking bronco. I really miss that truck.

20200411_150613.jpg.d219275c4e6d33dad2878eb330cef75a.jpg

This explains alot.

Center the weight, makes sense, thanks.

Very good point about the truck being made to be a truck more than a transport vehicle.

Makes perfect sense that the spring rate has to accommodate what it's made to do.

My 84 F250 HD 2wd rode like a bucking bronco. I really miss that truck.

This explains alot.

Center the weight, makes sense, thanks.

I have an 81 camper special as a spare that I keep at my nephew's shop. it's great for towing trailers and picking up heavy things like engines and transmissions. but empty it rides "firm" to say the least. but with a truck on the trailer with a little tongue load it rides great