Bullnose Forums

R.Rear Clunk

83 F150 - recent ownership.

I have a clunk coming from right rear.

About every 2 seconds.

When I hit the brakes or ride them it goes away.

I cleaned and adjusted the brakes.

still clunking.

I jacked it up, and if I push and pull the tire in and out from the top there is play and the clunk.

Do you think just wheel bearing? If so, no sweat, I need to change the fluids anyway.

OR, maybe the usual pin and C-clips and center pin, or possibly something worse.

Obviously I need to get in to the pin to felease the axles so I'm thinking to just buy those parts and have them ready, save a trip to the parts store.

Grey RTV or a good gasket to seal the cover?

Last - I see some people using 75/140, which isnt stock. Synthetic or dinosaur oil?

thanks.

There shouldn't be any up-down or in-out play.

If this is your 8.8 rear other know better than me.

I bought a gasket for my rear end, but ended up just using the green tube gear oil specific RTV silicone to hold my modified cover.

It's been great.

75-140 synthetic didn't exist back then, so you'll never see it recommended but there's only upsides in using quality wide range multi viscosity gear lube. (Plus, the bags make it much easier to fill)

I just spent a small fortune on my full floating 10.25 and while I used inexpensive Super tech 85-140 for the initial fill, I went with the Valvoline 75-140 synthetic for the 500 mile flush and probably won't touch it for years. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

There shouldn't be any up-down or in-out play.

If this is your 8.8 rear other know better than me.

I bought a gasket for my rear end, but ended up just using the green tube gear oil specific RTV silicone to hold my modified cover.

It's been great.

75-140 synthetic didn't exist back then, so you'll never see it recommended but there's only upsides in using quality wide range multi viscosity gear lube. (Plus, the bags make it much easier to fill)

I just spent a small fortune on my full floating 10.25 and while I used inexpensive Super tech 85-140 for the initial fill, I went with the Valvoline 75-140 synthetic for the 500 mile flush and probably won't touch it for years. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

on an 8.8 there should be no up/down play. the axle IS the race on this unit. it rolls on the roller bearings which are pressed into the housing. very often, if the bearing is failing or has failed it will gall a groove/ridge into the axle itself. an offset bearing is available to move the contact to a new area, but the axle will need to be inspected to determine that route. as far as in and out play, there will always be a little (just enough to feel) but too much and we are talking about axle end/cross pin wear. too much of this and it can drop a c clip and walk the axle right out of the truck. most people notice this before it comes all the way out, but I had an employee who did not till he was three wheeling, and the axle smacked the side of the truck. that was an interesting phone call!

early 8.8s had the small cross pin. at some point they increased the size of the pin and of course the hole in the carrier and spiders. but in doing so they had to reduce the dimension from c clip to the end of the axle to accommodate. for this reason, the axles DO NOT interchange.

on an 8.8 there should be no up/down play. the axle IS the race on this unit. it rolls on the roller bearings which are pressed into the housing. very often, if the bearing is failing or has failed it will gall a groove/ridge into the axle itself. an offset bearing is available to move the contact to a new area, but the axle will need to be inspected to determine that route. as far as in and out play, there will always be a little (just enough to feel) but too much and we are talking about axle end/cross pin wear. too much of this and it can drop a c clip and walk the axle right out of the truck. most people notice this before it comes all the way out, but I had an employee who did not till he was three wheeling, and the axle smacked the side of the truck. that was an interesting phone call!

early 8.8s had the small cross pin. at some point they increased the size of the pin and of course the hole in the carrier and spiders. but in doing so they had to reduce the dimension from c clip to the end of the axle to accommodate. for this reason, the axles DO NOT interchange.

I will know for sure next week. From you guys and reading, it's likely that bearings, the pin, and the clips are all likely issues together.

Jim, as for the 70/140, yes, a guy on youtube said that same thing, (also about the bags).

Thanks again,

Joe

I had a nice 1990 Lincoln Town Car with the 8.8 (I think) it ate one axle and bearing and I found a pair of good used axles at a local junk yard. I was just going to buy a left side but he found they were the same and gave me a super deal on the pair.

First run in with this was on a 1980 Pontiac Boneville, I used axle saver bearings on it, like you describe, it relocates the wear area. I would love to catch the cheapskate who came up with that design, once the case hardened portion of the axle cracks and flakes off, the softer inner part just wears fast.

I had a nice 1990 Lincoln Town Car with the 8.8 (I think) it ate one axle and bearing and I found a pair of good used axles at a local junk yard. I was just going to buy a left side but he found they were the same and gave me a super deal on the pair.

First run in with this was on a 1980 Pontiac Boneville, I used axle saver bearings on it, like you describe, it relocates the wear area. I would love to catch the cheapskate who came up with that design, once the case hardened portion of the axle cracks and flakes off, the softer inner part just wears fast.

Yeah, Axle Saver SOUNDED like a good deal.

My buddy went for a ride to listen to the clunk and look at the shake.

He says the shake is pretty normal for an 8.8.

He also agreed with my very first guess at brakes, (in my top post).

We are thinking that the drum needs turning from sitting for a long time.

Either way I will follow-up for the knowledge base.

Thanks,

Joe

Yeah, Axle Saver SOUNDED like a good deal.

My buddy went for a ride to listen to the clunk and look at the shake.

He says the shake is pretty normal for an 8.8.

He also agreed with my very first guess at brakes, (in my top post).

We are thinking that the drum needs turning from sitting for a long time.

Either way I will follow-up for the knowledge base.

Thanks,

Joe

I don't know of any normal shake of an 8.8. currently running the 8.8 in 6 trucks and a few in the past also. none have any shake, and I would address it if one did. however, the irregular drum finish is a very likely case.

I don't know of any normal shake of an 8.8. currently running the 8.8 in 6 trucks and a few in the past also. none have any shake, and I would address it if one did. however, the irregular drum finish is a very likely case.

Like I said, my buddy is a mechanic for USPS! So I take everything with a grain of salt.

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I have received a few item that I can see being delivered in shaky trucks.

It turns out that the brake drums were out of round.

A new pair from Rock for $80 bucks fixed the clunk.

The truck was sitting for a few years before I got it.

Thanks guys,

Joe